My puppy bites and pulls on my dogs cheeks?

I have a pitbull/pointer mix puppy, and a 4 year old Great Dane/Lab mix. They love to play together, but sometimes my puppy will bite my older dogs cheek and pull at it (playfully, not aggressively- he has shown no aggressive tendencies thus far). My…

I have a pitbull/pointer mix puppy, and a 4 year old Great Dane/Lab mix. They love to play together, but sometimes my puppy will bite my older dogs cheek and pull at it (playfully, not aggressively- he has shown no aggressive tendencies thus far). My…...
    General Dog Discussions : My puppy bites and pulls on my dogs cheeks?...

• My puppy bites and pulls on my dogs cheeks?

My puppy bites and pulls on my dogs cheeks? General Dog Discussions
      I have a pitbull/pointer mix puppy, and a 4 year old Great Dane/Lab mix. They love to play together, but sometimes my puppy will bite my older dogs cheek and pull at it (playfully, not aggressively- he has shown no aggressive tendencies thus far). My older dog doesn't act like it hurts him, but it concerns me. Is this something that can really hurt my dog? If so, how can I train my pup not to do it?

My puppy bites and pulls on my dogs cheeks? General Dog Discussions
    • I own raise and breed pit bulls and my daughter raises Yorkies and it is just fine normal play behavior and if he gets out of line the other dog will scold him just like his mommy would and he will learn not to do it no more on his own or you can always use a can with pennies in it and shake it at him every time he dose it that works good as well

• If the older dog is not objecting, then I doubt that he's hurting him. Normally, I would say don't intervene, since the older dog will let the pup know when it hurts or when he's had enough. But given the fact that one dog is much larger and older, he may or may not pull his punches and could really injure the pup should one of those needle shart puppy teeth make a hole in the older dog's lip. I don't know your dogs or their relationship. If your older dog is very mellow, he will likely reprimand the pup in a not too violent manner - or he may really throttle him. I would say step in and let him know the lip bitting is not acceptable.My dogs often like to chew on each other in a very playful manner when I'm gettin dinner ready. One likes to chew gently on the other's neck and he actually seems to enjoy it. However, the third one's method of play it to grab him by the leg and pull. This play required a trip to the vet once, so that behavior is not longer aloud.

• I agree with Marge. On the other hand if your pups biting towards the other dog worsens, I woud start scolding and keep it consistent. If the biting gets worse your biting puppy may become aggressive enough as to where you have a big problem. Pitbuls can be very violent, but I truly do believe thatis all on how the pit is raised. As long as your puppys biting does not worsen you have nothing to worry about. Although, the lip biting may not go away. I have seen several puppies grow up and still bite, its just the way they play. Every once in a while the other dog will yelp, but do not panic if that happens because times it may scare them or hit a sensitive spot, etc. Good luck.

• That is not acceptable behavior. Not all dogs will correct a pup's behavior & it is not the older dog's job! He didn't ask for a puppy to train. That is our job- to set boundaries & limitations. If that pup starts that with another dog it may get chewed up! They need to know how to be good citizens all the time.When he starts separate him. Do it consistently every time. Put him in a crate but do NOT handle it as punishment because you want the crate to be a happy place. Even though it is not a punishment your pup will get the idea soon enough that he can't play with the other dog when he bites. Put him in for only a short time then if it starts again put him back for another short while. sat nothing & don't act angry as you put him in.You can also put him in another room with a baby gate divider.It would be a nice idea if someone took one or the other to bed at night so the adult has some puppy free time. The pup should be crated when no one is at home or supervising, too.If & when your dog does decide to give the pup hell let him. As long as he is not going to draw blood let him have at it.

• Puppies are excitable, lovable hooligans. They have bursts of unbelievable energy, however in order to grow they need lots of sleep. New puppies need a room where they can rest and sleep and the other dogs in the house need respite. Older dogs don’t want puppies biting their ears and chewing their necks. How would you cope with an unruly toddler twenty four hours a day? Would you be annoyed, if you had a toddler thrust upon you who pulled your hair and poked your eyes? I am sure that you would grumble.Please don’t expect your dog to cope with an unruly puppy and to baby-sit twenty four hours a day. Supervise them for SHORT play sessions, then put your puppy in a quiet place to rest. I am not a big fan of crates, however if you do not have a utility room or a separate place where you can leave the puppy, a crate might be an alternative. Don’t expect your older dog to want to sleep with your puppy or to play with it constantly. Your puppy will possibly need about four meals a day. Divide your other dog’s rations into four and feed it (or them) at the same time. At the outset you must ensure that your puppy cannot steal the food from your other dogs. Perhaps you can put the puppy on a lead, or create enough space to ensure that the puppy does not steal. However it is important that your other dog, or dogs knows that the puppy is not getting preferential treatment and that they are all being fed when the puppy is fed.Give your existing dog or dogs extra attention when the puppy is resting and make them feel special.There will be visitors, who want to see your puppy. If the doorbells rings when your puppy is with your other dogs, put your puppy into another room and tell your visitors to fuss your adult dog or dogs and provide treats for your visitors to give them, BEFORE the puppy is allowed out to greet your visitors.Older dogs love puppies, with the proviso that YOU stop the puppy from being a pain in the bum. They don’t want a puppy being thrust upon them all of the time. If you do this any dog will object and be confused.There are people on this site who will tell you to let them sort themselves out. If you leave them to do this, they will probably have fights when the puppy matures.

• Just leave them be your adult dog can teach yourittle one a lot.If he gets annoyed he'll soon tell him don't worry. It's all learning for puppy.

• You see that it isn't fair or proper, (cause you wrote in) so do something about it.. repremand the puppy for being overexcited.. Take him for a time out PUt him in a crate or room alone for a couple minutes EVERY time he acts out...Puppies hate to be alone and ignored and learn best this way. Don't yell at him , just take him away , leave him alone for a couple minutes and then bring him out again. Your job is to teach this pup HOW to act around dogs, people etc. PUt a leash on the pup IN THE HOUSE and tie it to your waist...if the pup is acting irresponsible he must be contained on a leash til he knows better. You need to supervise ALL the pups comings and goings and play. If no one tells him that being overexcited it is wrong , he will never learn to 'cap' his behavior and be a calm obedient dog.. And perhaps someday he will bite the cheek of a dog that kills him for it. YES IT HAS HAPPENED to pups with no boundries in behavior. Just because one dog LETS him, doesn't mean it isn't your job to teach him right from wrong.. IT IS your job. that is what raising a pupppy is about, teaching the puppy to be calm and obedient.. IF the older dog does make a fuss and snap at the younger, LET HIM>. it is the way older dogs teach pups.do not punish the older dog for snapping, it is the natural way to teach the pup he is out of control. I had a pup that acted out on the older dog , I punished the older dog for snapping... the whole life of those 2 dogs was screwed up from that day forward. the pup just pummeled and bit and was horrible to the older dog its whole life, because I punished the wrong dog. my older thought he was NOT allowed to teach the pup manners And boy did that pup abuse the older horribly.but I could never undo the damage I did because the older never would stand up for himself with the pup again.. I should have taught the younger not to get out of control.. the older dog never snapped at the pup again but the pup became a bully.(and got beat up quite a bit from other dogs he met) don't make my mistake. Go to leerburg (.com) and check out their question and answer section. they have answers to dog questions you havent though of yet... 10,000 pages of free information on all things dog. and great equipment for dogs INCREDIBLE SIte .