Why do dogs bury their puppies?

Our dog just had puppies 2 weeks ago. Occasionally I see her taking a pup in her mouth,going across the yard,and laying the pup in a hole. Usually she will then pick the pup in her mouth and take it back to the doghouse. When I saw her carrying the pup…

Our dog just had puppies 2 weeks ago. Occasionally I see her taking a pup in her mouth,going across the yard,and laying the pup in a hole. Usually she will then pick the pup in her mouth and take it back to the doghouse. When I saw her carrying the pup…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why do dogs bury their puppies?...

• Why do dogs bury their puppies?

Why do dogs bury their puppies? General Dog Discussions
      Our dog just had puppies 2 weeks ago. Occasionally I see her taking a pup in her mouth,going across the yard,and laying the pup in a hole. Usually she will then pick the pup in her mouth and take it back to the doghouse. When I saw her carrying the pup in her mouth,I assumed she was trying to expose the pup to the outside world,but I didn't understand why she would try to "bury" it.

Why do dogs bury their puppies? General Dog Discussions
    • She was probably trying to move them to a safer location, becasue she felt her dog house isn't good enough. While they look for a new "den", they try and put the puppies in a safe place. I guess she felt that hole was safer than out in the open...

• Have the Mom and puppies checked out immediately by the vet. The mother might know something is wrong either with herself (eg. her milk) or the puppies. She probably is having trouble feeding them. It's instinct to try to bury your young when something is wrong, otherwise, she would not do this. Hope everything turns out okay.

• She's not trying to bury it. Before dogs were domesticated, they would dig holes to lay in. These holes kept them warm or cool depending on the temperature. It's natural instinct. She is teaching her pups how to survive. And she is trying to keep them safe. Also a natural instinct. Long ago, dogs would move thier young often to keep them safe from predators. Your dog sounds very smart.

• Dogs bury the "runts"or the pup(s) that are not physically healthy. Somehow the mother knows the puppy is not healthy and will bury the pup to kill it. I had a dog for 13 years, and every litter she had, she had one pup that she would bury or kill. There were times when we found the buried pup still alive and we tried to help it, by feeding it milk etc... but they never lived. Mama knows best!