Umbilical hole in 2 week old puppy, will this cause any problems?

Not too sure what to do. The hole isn't bleeding or anything and I just noticed it now because the mother passed away and I'm trying to take care of the litter.

Not too sure what to do. The hole isn't bleeding or anything and I just noticed it now because the mother passed away and I'm trying to take care of the litter....
    General Dog Discussions : Umbilical hole in 2 week old puppy, will this cause any problems?...

• Umbilical hole in 2 week old puppy, will this cause any problems?

Umbilical hole in 2 week old puppy, will this cause any problems? General Dog Discussions
      Not too sure what to do. The hole isn't bleeding or anything and I just noticed it now because the mother passed away and I'm trying to take care of the litter.

Umbilical hole in 2 week old puppy, will this cause any problems? General Dog Discussions
    • Usually won't be a problem, when the dog is spayed or neutered the vet can put a stitch or two in it to seal it back up. It IS genetic, however, which means that ALL of these puppies need to be altered.

• yes, it is an umbilical hernia and should be monitored. It is an where the abdominal wall has not closed. This wall may begin to shrink, however, it should be noted that intestines do commonly become trapped in this defect. It is not simply placing a stitch during a spay, the abdominal wall should be resected and closed in a three layer suture closure. Have your vet monitor this defect at each visit until surgery at 4-6 months or sooner.Clinical signs of entrapment: vomiting, diarrhea, fever, listlessness, etc.