Can the worlds greatest dog trainer teach a male dog to control itself around a female dog in heat?

I have been watching a female dog in heat for about 2 weeks now, my male is not fixed. I have been able to control them, at night they go into their kennels, we take 2-3 walks a day, I even let them out in the back yard. It is my opinion that if you have…

Can the worlds greatest dog trainer teach a male dog to control itself around a female dog in heat?

I have been watching a female dog in heat for about 2 weeks now, my male is not fixed. I have been able to control them, at night they go into their kennels, we take 2-3 walks a day, I even let them out in the back yard. It is my opinion that if you have…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can the worlds greatest dog trainer teach a male dog to control itself around a female dog in heat?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can the worlds greatest dog trainer teach a male dog to control itself around a female dog in heat?

Can the worlds greatest dog trainer teach a male dog to control itself around a female dog in heat? General Dog Discussions
      I have been watching a female dog in heat for about 2 weeks now, my male is not fixed. I have been able to control them, at night they go into their kennels, we take 2-3 walks a day, I even let them out in the back yard. It is my opinion that if you have the time, patience, and leader of the pack ability, then it is possible to go against their natural instincts. I am not a dog trainer, nor have I ever read a book on how to train a dog.

Can the worlds greatest dog trainer teach a male dog to control itself around a female dog in heat? General Dog Discussions
    • Of course. As Animal Artworks stated, how is a working dog supposed to work if every time he run across a female in heat, he was distracted. Training is important as are a few other things such as huge pack drive, a clear head on the dog, etc!Hope I helped.

• It is possible. My husband had a trained dog long time ago and he was able to sit half an hour side to side to a female dog in heat. But here is the thing.... The trainer told my husband that only this dog out of 200 that he had trained was able to do this at command. I have no doubt that Cesar Milan could do this, but it is extremely difficult to achieve because it depends on the character and disposition of the dog too.

• At EVERY dog show in the US there are b*tches in heat - and yet the dogs are expected/required to behave themselves.Certainly keeping the dogs separate when you cannot monitor them is required, but trained dogs learn that they don't get to breed unless told to (or some idiot leaves them alone with an in season b*tch).What good would any service dog or police canine or tracking dog be if they responded to every b*tch in season they encounter??

• Survival and reproduction are the two strongest instincts any mammal has. The male dog is overwhelmed by her smell. Why would you be so cruel to try and "sit" him with no reaction? Remove him from her presence instead.

• NoThat's why you never want a male guard dog that has not been neutered. Maybe even not then. All a good thief needs is a female in heat and he/she can rob you blind.

• I don't think so. A female in heat iniates an instinctual reaction in males that is incredibly hard to control. I believe it would be impossible to "train out" or override the brain chemistry of a male when he senses a female in heat.

• Can a famous and distinguishable dog trainer like Cesar Milan train a male dog that's not neutured to calmly sit still next to a female dog in heat for a long time and not yelp and whine? Is it possible? I only hear about dog trainers and vets instructing to separate the dogs when the female dog is in heat. What about training the male dog to resist the urge of a female dog in heat and behave itself calmly?