How do I get my dog to stop pooping in the house?

We adopted a one year old dog about a year and a half ago. He was only partially trained at that time due to being a stray and multiple homes prior to us adopting him. We also have another dog, a 4 year old female beagle that is totally potty trained. …

We adopted a one year old dog about a year and a half ago. He was only partially trained at that time due to being a stray and multiple homes prior to us adopting him. We also have another dog, a 4 year old female beagle that is totally potty trained. …...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I get my dog to stop pooping in the house?...

• How do I get my dog to stop pooping in the house?

How do I get my dog to stop pooping in the house? General Dog Discussions
      We adopted a one year old dog about a year and a half ago. He was only partially trained at that time due to being a stray and multiple homes prior to us adopting him. We also have another dog, a 4 year old female beagle that is totally potty trained. He has grown out of most of his puppy behaviors now, like chewing, biting etc. except he won't stop pooping in the house. He is taken out on walks multiple times a day on a schedule. We live against the woods so we walk the dogs through a trail out there. After very long walks, without going poop, he will come in the house and poop within the next 10 minutes. And he will poop at other random times of the day. We feel like we have tried everything, no punishing. We get him outside when we catch him, which isn't often because he goes where we aren't looking. We gave him treats outside when he did it, we crated him for over a year. He has regular vet care and is in good health. He is very loved and gets lots of attention from us and our two daughters. Also, he doesn't do it when we aren't home and can hold it for long periods of time if needed. We also tried the spray bottle which also didn't work because he is sneaky about it. It is cleaned up immediately and special enzyme cleaners are used. This is our 4th dog and the only one that we couldn't get trained. We have read a lot, tried a lot and had no success. He can hold it, but doesn't like pooping outside, though he loves being outside. HELP!

How do I get my dog to stop pooping in the house? General Dog Discussions
    • Some dogs don't like being watched when the poop. Especially dogs who have been punished in the past - spray bottles, ah-ah!, etc.. I would try a super long walk and when it's safe - when nothing is nearby, try turning your head away from the dog. See if he will feel better about going.Another thing you can try is to come in the house, stay on leash, then go right back outside.If you have a yard, you might consider setting up a screen. If no yard, maybe get lightweight portable screen set up in a safe (and legal) area - keep the dog on leash but let him go behind the screen