Stud Service?

I have a male shiba inu puppy. These dogs are very rare where I live and in other places. Someone mentioned to do a stud service with him since he is such a rare dog. How exactly does stud service work?How do you know if your dog is a registered AKC, and…

Stud Service?

I have a male shiba inu puppy. These dogs are very rare where I live and in other places. Someone mentioned to do a stud service with him since he is such a rare dog. How exactly does stud service work?How do you know if your dog is a registered AKC, and…...
    General Dog Discussions : Stud Service?...

• Stud Service?

Stud Service? General Dog Discussions
      I have a male shiba inu puppy. These dogs are very rare where I live and in other places. Someone mentioned to do a stud service with him since he is such a rare dog. How exactly does stud service work?How do you know if your dog is a registered AKC, and how do you register him?How old do the dogs have to be in order to be qualified to be a "stud?"What would you expect a Shiba owner like me to get out of it?Do you have to help pay for vet bills for the impregnated female?Thanks a lot.Please no rude comments, I just wanted to find out more about this because I know these dogs are amazing and more families should have dogs like these around here and other areas. Thank you guys sooooo much!Here is a picture of him:http://a313.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/24/l_279e42c1cc71de4260397102df77ad00.jpgOk, now I am going to get really bad feedback, but I didn't get him from a breeder, I got him from a pet store. The breeders of the dog live in Michgan and I live in Pennsylvania. I didn't get AKC papers with him, so there is no way whatsoever to get him registered with AKC since he didn't come with papers?**Shibas are rare where I live, I am sure they are more populas in other areas such as Florida, California, Texas, etc.HE ISN'T A GERMAN SHEPARD********All pictures I see of shiba inu black/tan/white pups look just like mine.Here is another picturehttp://a270.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/99/l_b594587887df5c5160e75887ac3ea1e5.jpgI understand why you would think he looks german shepard-ish because of his coloring, but I am positive he is pure bred.******* I was asking this question to get to know more about a stud service, and I was thinking about the positives of doing a stud service with him...I WOULDN'T JUST GO AHEAD AND DO IT. So for all of you who left negative feedback, you all are probably like 40 years old and have nothing better to do than to criticize people online for actually wanting to learn how to do something. You can say all you want about my dog being from an Amish puppy mill, or saying how these dogs aren't rare in your area, but you have no idea where in PA I live, you have no idea how much I love my dog, and getting him was the best decision I ever made. For the people who just told me the way it was saying that I can't do it because he isn't AKC registered, etc. etc., thanks, I was looking for HOW to do this and to see IF I can do this, not for insults.

Stud Service?

Stud Service? General Dog Discussions
    • Great looking dog.First off, your dog cannot be AKC registered unless both the dam and sire were registered. Chances are, if he isn't already registered, he can't be. Even more so, if he isn't AKC registered, how do you know he is a purebred?A dog shouldn't be studded unless he is AKC registered and has had all of his health testing done. I would suppose the health testing would fall on you, and normally you wouldn't need to help with the vet bills of the female.The breeders on this site will be able to give you more info.ADDED: I think your chances of being able to get him registered are very slim. You aren't going to be able to breed him responsibly and the right way if he is not registered.

• The best people to advise you in this would be members of the National Shiba Club of Americahttp://www.shibas.org/EDIT: Without papers, he might just as well be a mutt, since you have no proof he is purebred and no record of his family background.

• Like the person above said you can not register a dog without his parents being registered. Go talk to the breeder you bought him from and before you breed make sure he has all health test done so he wouldn't pass on genetic health problems

• to have a stud dog your dogs should have akc papers if you did not get your dog from a responsible breeder then you don't have akc papers which all breeders should give to you to prove that it is in fact purebred. without the papers you can have a dna test done to see if there are any other lines that show up as predominant in his lines besides shiba which you would have to pay for. even still he won't have akc certification.besides akc papers you would have to have your dog vet certified that it is a good example of the breed. if it differs from breeding standard then it isn't worth breeding. along with that he would need to be completely health tested. vets don't know everything about every breed which is why there are dog shows to determine. Proper breeders go to the dog shows to prove their dog is of good breeding. you would not be able to enter a certified dog show without akc papers.the standard stud contract is the owner of the female pays the owner of the male for insemination and it may take a time or two. the cost to pay for the male is usually equivalent to the price the owner of the female wishes to charge for 1 puppy from the upcoming litter or they offer you your choice of 1 puppy from the litter. you do not have to help out any further with the puppies or vet costs but the owner of the female has all say after inseminationyou can got to the akc website for more info www.akc.org

• To be used for stud your dog needs to be ALC registered and he should already have his Ch title.They most likey are a few tests that should be done to make sure he is free from genetic defects. Hip displasia would be an example but this veries from breed to breed so find out what your breed needs to be tested for.Once your dog has completed his Ch title you will have meet many other people who own your breed and some of them will want to use your dog for stud if they feel he will complement their female.You do not pay vet bills for the female and you charge a fee usually equal to the price of a puppy or you get pick of the litter.If your dog is not AkC registered you do not have much of a stud prospect and if he is not shown and proven to be breeding quality he is not really worth much as a stud except to someone who is breeding dogs for profit.He is a nice looking dog.

• very pretty pup you got there.This is my understanding of stud dogs:The do this many different ways, you can either take the female to breed them or you can just get the vet to collect sperm and they can artificially inseminate the female.You would know if your pup was AKC reg when you bought him, the breeder should have given you the paper work with his litter ID number and his parents info on it.They recommend not breeding your dogs until the age of 2. This way the dog has reached sexual maturity and at 2yrs old can be genetically tested.Usually the owner of the stud takes a charge of the amount of one puppy or takes a puppy for themselves. its something you and the owner of the female can work out.Ive never heard of a studs owner having to pay vet bills since you wont have anything to do with the female after the mating is done..But thats my take on it all..ADD:I just love how thumbs down go to the people that actually tell the asker what they wanted to know and not tell them to fix their dog.. damn people.. its up to them.. stop being asses

• I don't recommend breeding him. You don't seem to know enough about his background to do so. Just because a dog is AKC registered, doesn't mean it is of breeding or show quality. If you want to breed Shibas, take the time that's necessary to educate yourself about ethical breeding and then, if you're up for the responsibility, pursue it in the future by buying quality breeding stock.It doesn't sound like your heart is in the wrong place. You want to breed for personal gain and that is the most wrong you can be. Breeding is a huge responsibility and shouldn't be taken lightly. Get the male you have now neutered.

• When you bought him from the breeder, if he had papers, he should have came with them. Contact his breeder and find out.If he has no papers, he has nothing to offer to the breed.. its pointless to create more unregistered dogs. Shiba's are not really all that rare, they are just not one of the most popular breeds. I have seen several of them in shelters and rescues.If he has papers.. look at them, it will tell you what they are.. American Kennel Club, Canadian Kennel Club, etc.AKC will transfer some foreign registries, such as Canadian KC and UKC. Here is information about acceptable registrieshttp://www.akc.org/rules/special_registry_services.cfmIf he is registered with a "crap" registry like APR, APRI, ContinentalKC.. etc (if its not on AKC's list of acceptable registries, its a bogus registry) then he is not worth breeding. These are nothing more than papers, just to say he has papers.If you dog has acceptable papers, you will probably want to switch it to AKC. Your next step is to show him to proove that he meets standard, and to show that he is worthy of breeding. After all, what is the point of breeding more Shiba Inu's if you cannot breed quality ones? This will also give you the oppourtunity to meet other Shiba owners and check out future mates, and to learn about the breed.When he is 2 years have him tested for genetic health issues. Why breed unless you can be sure he is not going to pass on problems to his future puppies? OFA, PennHip, Cerf, BAER, and Optigen are all valuable tools for testing for genetic disease.You will also want to have him tested for brucellosis.. not likely he will have it, but when you stud him out, the b*tches owner will want to see it.You should expect the same of all of the above from the b*tch too.Vet bills are all on the female's owner. Stud fee is ussually pick of litter, or the price of pick of litter, whatever agreement you work out with the female's owner. I ccan guarantee you that your stud is worth more as a CH dog with all the testing done, than as a housepet who's never seen the show ring.

• Shibas are not rare.. they just aren't popular. If you look at AKC's website you will see that more Shibas are registered yearly than Irish Setters. I have an Irish Setter. She is a retired show dog.. she has had ALL of her health clearances. She is a wonderful specimen.. the type of dog that is of breeding quality. The last reason I would decide to breed her is because she is "rare."If you are very interested in breeding your dog you should make sure he is of breeding quality. This includes conformation, health and temperament. The purpose of breeding dogs is to improve the breed. Check out this link I'm offering. Your dog may appear perfectly healthy, but you never know what genes he carries. http://www.shibas.org/newstand/health.html

• You'll get a lot of great advice from responsible and reputable breeders if you contact the National Shiba Inu Club. http://www.shibas.org/My partner and I will probably be getting a Shiba in 2 or 3 years and are researching bloodlines now.Please have a longtime Shiba BREEDER who belongs to the national club evaluate your puppy for whether it is breeding quality. I, personally, like the black & tan coloring (I have Bernese). My concern as a longtime working dog breeder always comes down to correct structure and at this age your pup's picture shows a front end that is not terribly strong... there is a chance he'll grow out of that, but you'll want a breeder to evaluate.As a stud owner... all things are negotiable.. but you will have the best luck finding high quality girls when he has finished his championship and has all his health certifications (after the age of 2).I agree with you, the breed is amazing.Edit: Shibas are not terribly popular as a breed because they can have a "pushy" temperament. Since I've been breeding Samoyeds for years (have owned them for 36 years) I believe I'm up to the challenge, but the average pet owner is not.No.. you cannot get him registered if his breeder did not sell him with papers... Coming out of Pennsylvania it is very likely he was bred at an Amish puppymill.

• just get him fixed. u dont know what ur doing. take ur dog to the vet get him neutered and ur life will be much easier. just because ur dog is a rare breed doesnt mean he is a good example of the breed. shibas arent even rare. its just that they arent popular. people dont think of them when they get a dog or think of getting a dog. tell me this. is ur dog a champion. is he the best possible example of his breed. is he health certified. i am guessing that the answer to this question is no. so just save urself the embarrassment. leave breeding to the professionals. u r putting ur dog and someone else's dog in danger

• your pup looks like a german shepherd cross to me (COULD BE WRONG) are you sure he's purebred??? if he aint purebred then he cant be KC reg. and also (if he aint purebred) i wouldnt BREED him..

• "...these dogs are amazing and more families should have dogs like these..."What? Why do you think THAT is a suitable reason to breed? OMG, you want to breed a dog that came from a PUPPY MILL? You are aware of where pet stores get their puppies to sell aren't you? Do you not already know what those dogs go thru and how poorly they are raised and cared for? That they have tons of genetic defects that your dog will stud out to all his litters if you allow him to breed?I would be willing to bet this dog came from a puppy mill in your own state. Do a search on the web for "pet shops and puppy mills" and read about it if you don't already know. The next problem you have is that because this is a less common breed, you are going to be hard pressed to find a backyard breeder willing to use your boy (thank God). My friend is in to Shibas and trust me, there are plenty of well bred proven dogs out there. They don't need any puppy mill badly bred dogs to add to and ruin their bloodlines.Neuter the dog and enjoy him for the pet he is now. May you be lucky enuf not to end up with a dog that ends up sick and dies young as a result of coming from a horrible background.

• Well, first off you have a beautiful puppy - however studding a dog should not be done on looks alone.In all honesty you should make sure you dog is geneticly defect free, which can be pricey. Its very irresponsible to breed a dog with problems or unknown problems, they will pass to the puppies and all you have done is passed on the genetic defects.http://www.akc.org/breeds/shiba_inu/Go over the Shiba Inu standards and make sure your dog meets each one. At atleast 1 year of age, their are completly done growing physically and mentally, and thats the best time to evaluate them properly.http://www.shibas.org/index.htmlCheck out this site its, the National Shiba Club of America, they have great info on the breed, how to start up showing, and health conserns pertaining to this breed.You will want to get your dogs eyes certified, CERF, to make sure your not passing on eye defects, such as Glaucoma and PRA (Progressive Retina Atrophy) which are common conditions in Shibas.http://www.vmdb.org/cerf.htmlYou will also want to get your Shiba OFA certified, to screen for Patella Luxation - common in shibas too. http://www.offa.org/patluxinfo.htmlYou might also want OFA certifation on Hypothyroidism, aslo found in Shibas.http://www.offa.org/thyinfo.htmlYou should know if your puppy is AKC registered, he should have come with registration papers. If he didn't you can try to find out through the AKC but it is not easy.http://www.akc.org/index.cfmIf your pup is AKC reg. its probably a good idea to have him microchiped and DNA profiled with them (the AKC).http://akc.mondosearch.com/cgi-bin/MsmFind.exe?scope=AKC_External&query=DNAI would only stud a dog who is genetic defect free, of sound temperment and meets the breed standards. The main reason to breed should be to BETTER the breed.If your dog clears all the medical evalutations on CERF, OFA, meets the breed standard and is of sound temperment, then you need a Brusselous test for both your dog and the breeding female. You will also need your 5 generation pedegree and the breeding females 5 generation pedegree, to ensure there is no inbreeding. You also need to factor in what to do about a breeding female who will not take the breeding.If she is aggressive towards your male and will not allow him to stimulate her or injures him - vs versa - if he injures her.Sperm motility is another factor your puppy might not have viable sperm.You will need a strong contract that protects you and your stud dog incase things go wrong, with the breeding female.A responsible breeder will offer a health guarentee on the the offspring of the the stud. You can only do this if you have the documentation to back it up, proving your dog will not pass genetic defects, - hence the OFA, CERF etc.Breeding should be done when you have done all you can to garentee genetically and mentally sound puppies that your dog will sire. Your dog must meet the breed standard and free from any disease or genetic defects.Personally, I think a dog has to work to be a stud, he's had to accomplish something, Show dog, agility dog or CGC awarded. I am will be studding my dog to approved females ONLY, in a the future, however, he is currently being CERF, OFA and BAER certified and DNA registed. Lots of $$$$$$ After all his genetic test clear, we will be doing some conformation showing, then into agility for a while. We are currently working on CGC. He is the ideal of the Boston Terrier breed, and has a fantastic temperment. I will NOT breed him if any of his test come back sub-satisfactory and based on the recomendations of the Veterinarian who is evaluating them. He will be nutered and just complete his CGC and agility. There is a whole lot more involved in breeding than just putting two dogs together, I should say responsible breeding that is. There are far too many fantastic dogs, cats, puppies and kittens who are in shelters and most ultimately die there. There are also quiet a few Shibas in shelters too, so rare they might be they are still dying there too. http://search.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi?pet.Animal=Dog&pet.Breed=Shiba+Inu&pet.Age=&pet.Size=&pet.Sex=&location=http://www.shibas.org/rescue.htmlSomething to consider. Make sure you do your research and throughly think every aspect through before you breed your dog, and ONLY breed your dog if he is GENETIC DEFECT FREE, MEETS THE BREED STANDARD and is of SOUND TEMPERMENT. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not telling you should or shouldn't stud your dog, its your dog, however I'm giving you my personal and professional opion on the matter. Please consider.Best of luck and happy researching.