Did my dog come from a back yard breeder?

Hello. I have a purebred Siberian husky that I got a few months ago. I am really starting to suspect that my puppy came from a back yard breeder or a puppy mill? I didn't think anything of it at the time, and was able to get my puppy with the breeder…

Hello. I have a purebred Siberian husky that I got a few months ago. I am really starting to suspect that my puppy came from a back yard breeder or a puppy mill? I didn't think anything of it at the time, and was able to get my puppy with the breeder…...
    General Dog Discussions : Did my dog come from a back yard breeder?...

• Did my dog come from a back yard breeder?

Did my dog come from a back yard breeder? General Dog Discussions
      Hello. I have a purebred Siberian husky that I got a few months ago. I am really starting to suspect that my puppy came from a back yard breeder or a puppy mill? I didn't think anything of it at the time, and was able to get my puppy with the breeder meeting my family and I half way. They do this to all their dogs to save on travel fees if you live far away, and also they offer shipping if you live in another state. The breeder was very friendly, however there were quite a few things that they did not tell me when purchasing the puppy. Apparently, my puppy was dewormed multiple times for whipworms, hookworms, and roundworms. Of course he had normal deworming at 2, 4, and 6 weeks old. However, he was put on panacur 2 months old and also at 3 months old. This was written on the contract when we signed it. However, it was just written in pen updating on his meds and shots he was put on in the past. When we brought him home, we noticed he kept on having diarhea. After looking panacur up, I realized what it was for and brought him to the vet right away to be tested. Sure enough, my puppy had giardia. I emailed the breeder, and she said she honestly didn't know. She said that she honestly didn't know and that he must of picked it up from the dog park when she brought the dogs there. What I don't understand is that she brought the puppies to a dog park when they weren't even old enough to have their rabie shot yet. It even states in her contract not to bring the dogs out until they have their shots. I feel like that was a lie there? Because of giardia, my puppy has been on panacur for the last 2 months. I need to retest it, but he has possibly passed it on to my other dog as he started showing signs. We had to bring my other dog to the vet, and they suspected it. They put him on medication already, even before the results of the test came up. I am worried about these breeders, because I personally feel like they may be irresponsible. They promised AKC and pedigree papers, but they also didn't give it up front. They do have it as proof, but they are going to send it to me through the mail. I don't understand why they didn't register the puppies right away. Another red flag with these breeders are that they have multiple litters for sale within these last few months. They also lower the prices for special holiday seasons, and also will lower the prices for a limited amount of days. Then they would higher the price back to normal. Are they also responsible for the giardia? The contract only covers my puppy for 2 years if he developed hip dyspepsia or cataracts. However, the contract also stated that these puppies are in perfect, healthy condition. What does everyone think?

Did my dog come from a back yard breeder? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes, it did, and you're screwed. You won't be getting any AKC papers, to say the least, nor will they honor any contract they they wrote and you signed. Live and learn. If you want to find a good dog breeder, you need to do your research. You can start by going to the website of the Siberian Husky Club of America and looking at their breeder referral list. Another thing you can to TOMORROW, is to contact the AKC and see if this breeder has even ever registered a litter. If they have no records of this person, nothing can be done. If there ARE records of recorded litters from this breeder, tell the AKC that you received NO papers that you were promised. The AKC has the RIGHT to withhold any privileges from a breeder, and they can also be fined if it can be proven they are being fraudulent. If that contract stated that you would get AKC papers and you don't, that breeder has a BIG problem with any upcoming litters that they can register....more than likely they WON'T be able to register them, because they WILL have their AKC privileges taken away. If that happens, it WILL be published in the AKC Gazette Magazine, so that any people who do get that magazine will KNOW who this shady breeder is, and reputable breeders will warn other reputable breeders to NOT sell this person a puppy. That's what crappy breeders do. They TRY to buy puppies from a good breeder, and then BAM, that reputable breeder's dogs name is in the pedigree of a BYB.

• Big breeders and back yard breeders can have a sick puppy. I have bought many puppies from backyard breeders and have never had a sick one yet, but I do go to their home and see the parents and the condition of other pets. I deal with the public everyday and have seen many dogs that came from big breeders that have cost the owners, some up to 18,000 in vet bills cause of bad breeding. You can never tell what is in the future for your puppy, the only thing that I have noticed is I won't buy a puppy that was born indoors as their immune system doesn't get built up like a puppy that was born outside and had time to get immuned from all the bacteria and such. Good luck with your puupy

• That was a puppy mill, not a backyard breeder. Look them up and you will see that every single thing you noted are warning signs of a puppy mill. You're definitely right about her lying about the dog park. Puppy mills keep their dogs locked in crates or kennels 24/7- they aren't taking litters to dog parks to play. I wish you had done research before supporting something like this but you can at least be extremely vocal about how bad that one was an discourage any future buyers to do business with them. Please announce this on their web page and online reviews. In the future please choose to adopt.

• "In the future please choose to adopt"Not everyone wants to adopt. We don't all want the possibility of adopting a dog with behavior problems.Uplift this person for saving a puppy from a mill instead of pointing out flaws. Yes this sounds like a mill or serious BYB's.