Will my puppy ever hunt after having parvo?

I have a 6 month old straight ladner bred black mouth cur that caught parvo even after having all his shots. He is taking electrolites and is on parvaid and is doing better. I love my pup to death and he was a very pricy hunting dog. Will he ever be able…

I have a 6 month old straight ladner bred black mouth cur that caught parvo even after having all his shots. He is taking electrolites and is on parvaid and is doing better. I love my pup to death and he was a very pricy hunting dog. Will he ever be able…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will my puppy ever hunt after having parvo?...

• Will my puppy ever hunt after having parvo?

Will my puppy ever hunt after having parvo? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 6 month old straight ladner bred black mouth cur that caught parvo even after having all his shots. He is taking electrolites and is on parvaid and is doing better. I love my pup to death and he was a very pricy hunting dog. Will he ever be able to hunt again or will he just have to be a sire?

Will my puppy ever hunt after having parvo? General Dog Discussions
    • From what I have seen with a dog who has had pervo they become themselves after getting rid of it... WE had a rat terrier who loved to play a lot as a pup when he got parvo. We caught it in time so when he got better he played even harder. I would say because he hasn't yet met the 1 year age yet that he should with out a dought perfume beatifully in the woods once he is 100% better

• If he makes it past the Parvo I can't see why he won't hunt.Parvo is very hard on the organs and is a big killer of puppies. I had taken some of my pups into the vet to get a simple paseger. They carried the parvo home. I lost 2 cute, and very sweet pups and they too had there shots. Now we give all of our pups NeoPar. It is a vaccine that just dose Parvo. We have had not problem since then.

• Parvo does not affect the hunting instinct of a dog. As long as he recovers his health and energy (which in an older dog may take a bit longer to regain stamina than in a pup depending on severity) his instincts will reassert themselves quickly!!

• My husband and I fostered a Dobe mix that got parvo from the shelter. We nursed him back to health and he was just fine after he got over it. Think of parvo as like the flu for dogs. It is a virus and the main thing that kills the pups off is dehydration from vomiting/diarrhea, etc. If he has made it this far, he should be great.Usually, you will go on to have a happy, healthy dog that will be normal and do what he was supposed to do.And from all the research I have done on parvo, I have read and heard from the vets that once they get parvo, they generally can't get it again... kinda like the chicken pox for most people.