Can I give my dog pepto bismol if she is being treated for Parvo?

My puppy started treatment for Parvo today, she is given IV fluids and anitbiotics and we get to take her home everyday. I was wondering if I could give her some Pepto Bismol or anything else to ease her nausea and vomitting. Just trying to make her…

My puppy started treatment for Parvo today, she is given IV fluids and anitbiotics and we get to take her home everyday. I was wondering if I could give her some Pepto Bismol or anything else to ease her nausea and vomitting. Just trying to make her…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can I give my dog pepto bismol if she is being treated for Parvo?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can I give my dog pepto bismol if she is being treated for Parvo?

Can I give my dog pepto bismol if she is being treated for Parvo? General Dog Discussions
      My puppy started treatment for Parvo today, she is given IV fluids and anitbiotics and we get to take her home everyday. I was wondering if I could give her some Pepto Bismol or anything else to ease her nausea and vomitting. Just trying to make her more comfortable.

Can I give my dog pepto bismol if she is being treated for Parvo? General Dog Discussions
    • Dog's stomach's aren't the same as humans they can't be given human medication in most cases and not anywhere near the human recommended dosage.Your puppy is vomiting because she has parvo not because she has a sick tum. Dogs die from parvo via dehydration and loss of nutrients.Even if you gave her oral liquids like pepto or even water she would just barf it up because she can't keep anything down.She is fighting for her life right now don't do anything the vet hasn't told you to do.

• Did your Vet say that it is okay to give it to your pup? If not then don't because it is made for humans & not for dogs. You might make her even sicker. Ask your Vet if there's anything that can be given to her to make her feel a little comfortable & that is for dogs.

• No, the best thing you can do is give her pedialyte the non flavored kind through a dropper( or syringe) because she is losing alot of fluids right now give her bits of raw ground beef as food she may not want to eat so you might have to force her.

• I've worked in Vet ER for 5 years and we see parvo A LOT. Unfortunately, parvo is VERY serious and your pet should be in a vet hospital so that it may receive constant antibiotics, monitoring and IV fluids. Your pet will also develop vomiting/bloody diarrhea and can become extremely lethargic. Medications can be prescribed by your vet to help with these symptoms, provided your pet can keep them down long enough to be effective.Giving her pepto isn't going to do anything for her. Don't give any people medicine unless directed by a vet. If your vet neglected to tell you, be prepared for your pet to not do well, no matter what all you do for it. Sometimes, even after the pet feels better, parvo still takes their life. I've seen many puppies get better, then pass away unexpectedly. This is how deadly it is. Also, bleach is your best friend. Wash everything the pet is in contact with. Allow no one with puppies up to the age of 3 to come over. Parvo is mostly passed by the feces, although there is speculation that vomit could contribute as well.Parvo can even be passed by the soles of your shoes. Bleaching the ground does no good either, despite popular belief.

• Absolutely Not! Your dog is having a problem with Nausea and Vomiting, because of the Parvo. You need to call and tell your vet. Only your vet can prescribe the proper medication for your dog, especially if she is already fighting for her life already with Parvo. Never give a dog any kind of Human Medication, unless you talk to your vet first and the vet advises you what to do. Only a vet can make your dog more comfortable! I really hope she pulls through this!

• This came from our vet when we rescued a puppy and it got Parvo - he had us give it Pedialyte and feed it rice and lean hamburger. The pedialyte helps keep the electrolytes balanced and the dog hydrated and the hamburger most dogs can't resist and it is a good source of protein, and the rice acts as a binder firming up her stools. Also the rice helped settle his stomach. Our pup was so sick we thought we would lose him but he ate the hamburger and rice even though he wouldn't touch his normal food - along with the pedialyte and round the clock care. We brought him home and my mom and I rotated shifts. He pulled thru with no ill effects and lived to be 12.

• Pepto Bismol contains bismuth salicylate, which is somewhat similar to aspirin. While this medication has been prescribed by veterinarians at appropriate doses, large enough quantities of bismuth salicylate could cause effects similar to aspirin poisoning, depending on the circumstances of exposureBecause many human medications can be very harmful or even deadly to pets, the ASPCA advises pet owners to never give animals any medication or supplement that is not specifically prescribed by a veterinarian. If you suspect that your dog may not be feeling well, Elisabeth, call your vet so that your pet can be properly evaluated and given appropriate treatment.Use only if your formulation does NOT contain salicylates. Pepto-Bismol® should not be used in cats since it contains salicylates, the active ingredient in aspirin. Cats are very sensitive to aspirin so it should be avoided. WARNING - PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NEW FORMULATIONS OF KAOPECTATE MAY ALSO HAVE SALICYLATES. Do not use if your formulations lists salicylates as an active ingredient. Any vomiting or diarrhea that persists for more than 24 hours needs your veterinarian's attentionMixing medications with the parvo treatment, may actual work against the Parvo treatment working and actually cause her more pain, then whats she going through right now. NEVER give human medication without YOUR OWN VETS ADVICE.

• Yes, you can. When my dog had Parvo, the vet told me to give her Pepto and gatorade. As the vet how much you should give since it varies by the size of the dog. I think all these comments about no, a dog isn't a human are funny. They obviously think they are vets and have never had a dog with Parvo, other wise they would know Pepto is safe for dogs if given in the right amount. Ask your vet how much to give. Good luck.

• Do NOT ask US to answer a question like this!!!!Your dog is under the care of a VET!It's YOUR JOB to CALL YOUR VET and ask this. We cannot give you an answer because we cannot take away the right of your vet to be fully in charge of your dog's care. If you take advice from someone here and your puppy dies, then YOU have made that poor person who gave you bad advice responsible for the death of your puppy! What a HORRIBLE thing to do to any one of us here at YA. Not everyone at YA knows what they are doing when they give advice! Some people give BAD advice because they don't really know what they are talking about. CALL YOUR VET!DO =ONLY= WHAT YOUR VET TELLS YOU TO DO IN THIS CASE! -!-

• No the vet cost a lot of money just for and IV give her some plain non fat yogurt and some pedialyte. She might not want it but force feed her every hour and the half and let her rest. I just did that with my 3 month year old dog and he is recovering from parvo.

• Your vet should have sent home medication for this puppy. You can not give Pepto. You can give Pepsid but you need the vet to let you know how much to dose. Regular Pepsid tabs - not maximum strength or caplets. Your vet should have given you Flagil and other medications that are required to help with nausea, vomitting, diarrhea and discomfort. We have dealt with a lot of parvo - and it is irresponsible for the vet to send the puppy home if she is showing symptoms of parvo!