How do you get a dog to stop eating dog poop?

Deter pills work wonders (available at all chain pet stores). Typically an animal eating it's own feces is a sign of nutritional issues. Ask the vet to check the dog over and run a blood test to make sure he's alright.

Deter pills work wonders (available at all chain pet stores). Typically an animal eating it's own feces is a sign of nutritional issues. Ask the vet to check the dog over and run a blood test to make sure he's alright....
    General Dog Discussions : How do you get a dog to stop eating dog poop?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you get a dog to stop eating dog poop?

How do you get a dog to stop eating dog poop? General Dog Discussions
      Deter pills work wonders (available at all chain pet stores). Typically an animal eating it's own feces is a sign of nutritional issues. Ask the vet to check the dog over and run a blood test to make sure he's alright.

How do you get a dog to stop eating dog poop? General Dog Discussions
    • to tell u the truth, i have a beagle and he is the same way. there are several things u can do. first just a plain no. if the dog stops give him a treat and tell em good dog. If it still is eating it get a special spray. go to a pets store and they should have it. dogs hate it, spray it and if the dog puts it in its mouth it will almost instantly spit it out due to bad taste believe me. But some dogs just do that. the time being DONT let em lick ur face

• This is normal behavior for dogs to do this. The only way really is to go out and make sure all other dogs feces is cleaned up before you let your dog out.This is some things i found for you.........Consult a veterinarian specializing in animal behavior about this complex problem, called coprophagia. Although veterinarians and animal behaviorists are unsure what causes the disorder, it can often be controlled with behavioral modification or drug therapy when it's properly diagnosed. 2. Buy a food additive - such as Deter or Forbid - or dry kibble that makes feces unappetizing to dogs, and add it to your dog's food if he's into eating his own. These products contain a chemical, monosodium glutamate, that is made bitter tasting during the digestive process. 3. Train your dog to defecate on demand, so that you're present and can pick up the feces immediately. If your dog defecates when you're not present, pick up the feces as soon as you can. 4. Take your dog out on a leash. Jerk the leash when he heads toward feces, and reward him when he doesn't approach it. Use this method until your dog learns not to approach feces. 5. Be sure to hide the litter box, or deny access to your dog when visiting a home with a cat. Tips: The best way to stop this behavior is to keep your dog away from feces. This may require extra diligence on your part. A dog that eats feces increases his exposure to intestinal parasites, which puts the dog - and your family - at greater risk of infestation. If your dog partakes, have a stool specimen checked by a veterinarian at least every three months.If your dog is eating other dogs' poop... it has nothing to do with a lack of vitamins, minerals or anything in their diet. Dogs are scavengers. They eat. That's what they do. Mine does it when he gets bored. This is a behavioral issue. I have an electronic collar that I take to the dog park with me. When it is on him... he's an angel. When I accidentally leave the collar at home - poop buffet. Also, some dogs do not digest their food as well as others and our four-legged friends that eat poop can sniff out the food in there. Either clean up the other dogs' excrement before Sparky gets to it, or don't take him to any dog parks where he can't be trusted off a leash. They really can get sick from this. So be a responsible owner and protect them.

• I had a dog that used to do that too. My vet told me to sprinkle some meat tenderizer on her food, it kinda worked. Or there is something the vet can prescribe that you sprinkle on their food that makes their waste taste bad.

• You can punish the animal with modern discipline, but it's just better to let the dog eat it's own fecal matter. A dog eating it's own poop is okay. Dogs eat fecal matter because they're lacking a certain nutrient that is abundantly found in the fesces, and the dog is actually helping it's body by eating the fesces. I know from personal experience, I have a dog who often eats her own poop and when faced with the matter, the vet simply replied with the information I stated above.

• This behavior is called coprophagy.Treatment for coprophagia involves several remedies. Feces should be picked up immediately from the yard to remove the opportunity to consume it. Training your dog to defecate on command (see House Training) will assist you with this. Bored dogs who are inactive or alone for long periods can become coprophagic. Exercise and stimulation are called for in these cases. Some veterinarians have suggested that the behavior may be cause by a deficiency of B vitamins and vitamin K which can be found in feces. Meaty diets often times result in aromatic stools so dry kibble is recommended. All such dogs should be fed a consistent, balanced diet in two or three short meals a day. Treating the pre-eatten food with monosodium glutamate (Accent) is said to make the stool undesirable. I have gotten mixed feedback on this practice.Simple aversion therapy can be done by letting the dog approach the stool on a long lead. If he starts sniffing it, give a strong leash check. If he passes by, praise him. Some owners find it successful to use something to make the feces taste horrible. Products such as For-bid (for cats or dogs) and Drs. Foster and Smith Dis-Taste (for dogs) are added to the food of the animal whose feces are being eaten The product is digested by the animal, and results in giving the feces a very bad taste. Some people try putting Tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper (chili powder) on the feces (not the food!). Unfortunately, some dogs have acquired quite a taste for Tabasco. These methods work best if the behavior has just started. Once coprophagy has become a habit, it is very difficult to break.Dogs should be on a leash when walking, so you have control over the dog in case a luscious pile of feces is found along the way. Sometimes, the only way to prevent coprophagy is to fit the dog with a wire muzzle. The dog will be able to sniff, pant, and do most things dogs do, but the dog will not be able to eat with the muzzle on. DO NOT LEAVE A MUZZLED DOG UNATTENDED.

• There is a product you can buy at Petsmart that makes it tast nasty (you would think that was a given) and they are supposed to leave it alone. You add it to their food.

• whenevr you see him doing this, very sternly say NO! and spray his mouth a coupole of times with plain water. then close him up for 10 min. do this everytime you see him eating it, and eventually he'll learn that he's not supposed to be doing that, and he shud stop.GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!any ques, feel free to email me at [email protected]