Why did my normally dry-mouthed puppy begin drooling profusely when we went to the dog park for the 1st time?

He's been around other dogs before and enjoys playing with them. He never drools or salivates excessively, but when we got to the dog park, he just sat there and drooled to the point it was dripping from his jowels. He's about 4 1/2 months old. What's…

Why did my normally dry-mouthed puppy begin drooling profusely when we went to the dog park for the 1st time?

He's been around other dogs before and enjoys playing with them. He never drools or salivates excessively, but when we got to the dog park, he just sat there and drooled to the point it was dripping from his jowels. He's about 4 1/2 months old. What's…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why did my normally dry-mouthed puppy begin drooling profusely when we went to the dog park for the 1st time?...

• Why did my normally dry-mouthed puppy begin drooling profusely when we went to the dog park for the 1st time?

Why did my normally dry-mouthed puppy begin drooling profusely when we went to the dog park for the 1st time? General Dog Discussions
      He's been around other dogs before and enjoys playing with them. He never drools or salivates excessively, but when we got to the dog park, he just sat there and drooled to the point it was dripping from his jowels. He's about 4 1/2 months old. What's up?He has had all of his shots. He is not too young for the dog park--they have a special fenced off puppy area where several puppies go to play.

Why did my normally dry-mouthed puppy begin drooling profusely when we went to the dog park for the 1st time? General Dog Discussions
    • Did you ride in the car? My dog had problems like this whenever she was transported in a car, it turns out she has motion sickness. The doctor told me to give her an itty bitty amount of children's benadryl, which "calms" the dog. You should never administer medicine to your animal's unless your doctor recommends it though.

• He sounds a bit dehydrated from all the exercise. Make sure you bring some cool water along with you on your doggie park outtings. That seems to do the trick with my dog. Good Luck!

• Dogs salivate and lick their lips when they are nauseated. I suspect the car ride made him motion sick. Begin taking him on very short rides......on an empty stomach. It may get better with age and as he becomes a more experienced passenger. If not....call your vet and asked what medicine he recommends for motion sickness and the correct dosage,

• this is perfectly normal. when dogs are trying to pick up a scent they drool because a wet scent puts off more odor than a dry scent. watch him next time you see him smelling the ground and you will notice him starting to slober or drool. that is why blood hounds and st. bernards are so good at picking up scents , they have that big slobbery mouth. don't worry there is nothing wrong with your dog he was just around alot of new scents.