Anyone with a border collie have any good suggestions for toys?

I am adopting a 3 year old border collie from an animal rescue. I was wondering are there any toys that are good for border collies? I used to work in the pet industry and I know things like raw hide is bad for them. And things like the Kong are really…

I am adopting a 3 year old border collie from an animal rescue. I was wondering are there any toys that are good for border collies? I used to work in the pet industry and I know things like raw hide is bad for them. And things like the Kong are really…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Anyone with a border collie have any good suggestions for toys?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Anyone with a border collie have any good suggestions for toys?

Anyone with a border collie have any good suggestions for toys? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am adopting a 3 year old border collie from an animal rescue. I was wondering are there any toys that are good for border collies? I used to work in the pet industry and I know things like raw hide is bad for them. And things like the Kong are really good toys, but are there any certain type of toy they like to play with? I know every dog is different and I need to see what he likes. I just need a good starting point! Any ideas are welcome and apperciated!

Anyone with a border collie have any good suggestions for toys? Dog Breed Discussions
    • My 3 year old Border Collie is also from a rescue centre and she loves a very hard ball that will travel far when out in the park!She also loves to play with squeaky rubber toys shaped like food but she takes no time at all in wrecking the squeaky bit inside!Anything to get their teeth into without falling apart works for me.She now has a rubber bone and a ball with holes in for treats.I also have a 3 banded ruber ring with knots in for texture!Her favourite treat is pedigree dentastix, she gets 1 every evening after her meal!

• I have a border collie and she LOVES playing with a basketball. She rolls it around like a soccer ball and plays soccer by herself!It's a good toy because it gives your dog alot of excersise and it is kind of like herding which border collies are made to do.

• I have two border collies. My male will chase anything that flies. Sticks, grass, rocks (although we steer clear of those), frisbees, water, snow, dirt. . . He is always right there any time my husband shovels snow or dirt. He even chases flashlights, and light reflections from watches, the car doors, etc. Oh yeah, I have a bird feeder hanging off my porch, at night when the porch light in and the wind is blowing, he chases the light reflections. My female chases him. If he's running she's chasing him and biting at his collar. She doesn't really play with any toys, she just loves to chase him. We live in the country and we have horses. They love to chase the horses. We stop them when we catch them doing it. They have been kicked at a time or two.Border Collies love to run. They are the best most loyal dogs ever but they will wonder or cause mischeif if they don't have room to run and time to play. I would recommend a good heavy duty rope or maybe even a frisbee. See if he likes to fetch or just have something to chew on. Border Collies are very powerful dogs for their size so I would recommend a toy they could chew on, but no tear apart. My male is not particular about what he chases as long as he can go after it. If you have a stick in your hand, he is your best friend. Anytime he catches a stick he has to break it apart and then he drops it and wait for us to throw another on for him.. He's not big on bringing the stick back to us.Good luck, I'm sure you will love you Border Collie, they're awesome pets. We love ours. P.S. I've never heard of rawhide being bad for dogs. They sell it in a lot of stores.

• The basketball suggestion from Sophia's_World was EXCELLENT = great toy for a Border Collie. I'd suggest that you take the dog to the pet store and let her pick out her own toy. My dogs all love the Wiggly Giggly balls that make weird noises when they roll. Look for something very sturdy (like a Kong or other heavy rubber toy) as Border Collies can take out their pent up energy on their playthings. My terriers can kill a squeak toy in five minutes or less. For chewing, I like nylabones and gumabones - very safe. Pressed rawhides are ok, but you have to be careful that the dog doesn't swallow big chunks of it. And make sure that all edible toys are completely manufactured in the USA - some other countries were responsible for some poisoned pets here from contaminated rawhides.The main thing with a Border Collie is EXERCISE - lots and lots and lots of running games. Even if she won't retrieve them, use a whole basket of balls and just keep throwing them until her tongue is hanging out. You can train her to trot on a treadmill (supervised ONLY) or run next to a bicycle or rollerblades - thirty minutes every day as an absolute minimum.Obedience training and tricks are great, too! Border Collies are VERY smart and love to learn and show off. These are the books that I recommend to my students; you can get them on Amazon.comSecond Hand Dog - Carol BenjaminWhat All Good Dogs Should Know – Volhard http://www.volhard.com/Good Owners, Great Dogs - Brian KilcomminsDog Tricks : Eighty-Eight Challenging Activities for Your Dog from World-Class Trainers by Haggerty and BenjaminDon't Shoot the Dog - PryorTraining Your Dog: The Step by Step Method - VolhardDog Problems - BenjaminCesar's Way - Cesar MillanAlso, watch the Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel. Cesar Millan is the best trainer I've ever seen on TV.http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/

• I have a 2 year old border collie, black lab, golden retriever mix so she has a TON of energy. She loves to play catch with a Frisbee for hours at a time - doesn't matter how tired she gets, she still wants to run and catch it. She also loves the Kong toys, $.92 squeaky toys from Walmart (they last longer than any I've bought that cost more) and any other toy to put treats in so she has to figure out how to get them out.