what are the early signs that my dog is pregant?

my dog keeps running next door and "hooking up" with their dog i don't know how many times it happened but confirmed it a few days ago! i don't wanna take her to the vet yet so i need to know what are some early signs to give me an ideal if she is?…

my dog keeps running next door and "hooking up" with their dog i don't know how many times it happened but confirmed it a few days ago! i don't wanna take her to the vet yet so i need to know what are some early signs to give me an ideal if she is?…...
    General Dog Discussions : what are the early signs that my dog is pregant?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• what are the early signs that my dog is pregant?

what are the early signs that my dog is pregant? General Dog Discussions
      my dog keeps running next door and "hooking up" with their dog i don't know how many times it happened but confirmed it a few days ago! i don't wanna take her to the vet yet so i need to know what are some early signs to give me an ideal if she is?

what are the early signs that my dog is pregant? General Dog Discussions
    • Early Signs * Decreased appetite is usually one of the earliest signs that your bitch might be pregnant. Not all females go through this doggie version of "morning sickness", but a small percentage will eat less during the first few weeks of gestation, usually making up for it later in the pregnancy. * A sudden decrease in activity can indicate that your bitch is pregnant. Just like some women, canines may also experience feelings of exhaustion as their hormone levels change to support embryo production. * Nipple growth is a good indicator that your bitch's body is going through pregnancy changes. The nipples of an unbred female are usually quite small, and the area immediately beneath them will feel flat. However, once a pregnancy is in progress, breast material will develop beneath the nipples, which will also increase slightly in preparation for eventual milk production. * Behavioral changes may also be noticed, with either an increase in affectionate behavior or an expressed desire to be left alone. Progressing SignsAs the pregnancy progresses, you will notice further changes. * An increase in appetite is usually noted about three to four weeks into the pregnancy and is especially noticeable if your female slacked off her food after her heat cycle ended. * Weight gain should be noticeable by one month into the pregnancy. The bitch's abdomen will thicken, and gentle examination of the belly will reveal a firm, rather than fat feeling to the area. Late Term SignsThe signs of dog pregnancy will increase dramatically in the last weeks of gestation. * A definite increase in abdomen size will be hard to miss if your bitch is carrying the average size litter for her breed. However, if there are only one or two pups, the abdomen may seem only slightly increased but still be firmer than her pre-pregnancy condition. A lot depends on the size/breed of the dog involved. Larger dogs have more room to carry pups, and if the litter is small, they won't show as much. Smaller breeds usually show more since they don't have as large an area to house the pups, and some small breeds' abdomens will literally drag the ground near the end of the pregnancy. * Puppy movement can be felt and seen during the last weeks of pregnancy, with a definite increase in movement a few days before delivery as the pups get into position for birth. * Milk production begins in earnest and colostrum, the first milk, can be gently expressed from the nipples, sometimes leaking a bit on its own as the time for delivery draws near. Signs Delivery Is Imminent * Nesting behavior is usually displayed by a bitch in the 24-48 hours proceeding delivery, although some females begin a little sooner. You'll notice a general restlessness, and she will likely prepare the area where she intends to deliver the pups by scrunching up blankets, newspapers and such. If you haven't provided your bitch with a suitable whelping box, you're likely going to suffer some household damage, as she may decide your bed or couch cushion seems like the perfect place, and tear it up accordingly. If this happens, blame yourself, but don't punish your bitch for this perfectly normal behavior. She is simply operating on instinct. * A temperature drop down to 97-99 degrees Fahrenheit and held for two readings taken twelve hours apart signals impending delivery within the next 24 hours. A normal dog temperature hovers around 101-102 degrees Fahrenheit, so if you begin taking your bitch's temperature daily from about 58 days gestation, you will be able to establish her normal temperature, as well as when the drop takes place.

• You will know when your dog is pregnant when you take it to the vet to have her spayed, as you should have already done. You are not responsible enough to own a houseplant, let alone a dog. What sort of person lets their dog randomly 'hook up' with some other random dog. Get your dog spayed NOW.

• Ever hear of a fence, and the leash law? Give me an IDEAL if she is? GEEZZ, can't even spell PREGNANT properly. Don't want to take her to the vet's? Have her aborted and spayed. Because of irresponsible dog owners, like yourself, millions of dogs are euthanized in shelters each year. CONGRATS!

• Sorry to allycmw above - but couldn't have put it better myself so.....You will know when your dog is pregnant when you take it to the vet to have her spayed, as you should have already done. You are not responsible enough to own a houseplant, let alone a dog. What sort of person lets their dog randomly 'hook up' with some other random dog. Get your dog spayed NOW.

• Call your vet and make a spay appointment.With all the dogs being killed in shelters because there are just not enough homes for them you let your unaltered dog go running around without any supervision. What the hell is wrong with you?Get that dog spayed for God's sake!

• Usually you will notice how your dog is acting around you and that she just wants to lay around. That is one of the signs you may know when she might be pregnant. Another sign may be how she eats her dog food, some days she'll eat and some days she won't.

• Normally, I will read a question like this and roll my eyes! I know all too well the abuse that is going to follow because it always does. Sometimes deserved and sometimes not. BUT, because of the clear way in which you not only show lack of responsible dog ownership, you seem to be clueless as to what you are in store for - you have got a lot of negative comments deservedly coming your way!Agreed- get her spayed. They can take care of the entire ill bred, ill cared for, and ill advised puppies right now. As a breeder of quality, tested, planned, and loved animals I can assure you that it will be cheaper to spay her now and get rid of the the little mutts, than to face the complications, expense, patience and work that a LOVED litter requires.I pray that you will overcome the natural defensiveness that reading so much negative response will get and hear what people are saying. This was a huge mistake that you only multiply by letting these animals become family members to unsuspecting people. An ill bred dog can cost thousands of dollars to care for. What if mutts aren't 'selling like hotcakes'? Then what will you do? Will you provide homes for them? I doubt it. Will you let them go next door and 'hook up'? Please stop this now.

• It's spelled Pregnant, not Pregant! Why is your dog running loose in the first place and not properly confined? Why was she not Spayed a long time ago? If she tied with another dog, then she's most likely pregnant. The only way to find out for sure, is to take her to the vet. If she bred with a dog larger than her, then she will have complications and can die! Take her to the vet, discuss what options you have and take the vets advice on what action to take next. It is very irresponsible of you, not to keep your dog confined and keep closer tabs on her! If she had been Spayed, this would have never happened and you would not be asking this question right now.