What is your opinion on Bil-Jac puppy food?

I have a 4 month old silky terrier/peekinese and started feeding it Bil-Jac puppy formula. She now has diarhea bad, wondering if it's just cause I changed her food or the Bil-Jac?She has a vet appt. for tomorrow morning.

I have a 4 month old silky terrier/peekinese and started feeding it Bil-Jac puppy formula. She now has diarhea bad, wondering if it's just cause I changed her food or the Bil-Jac?She has a vet appt. for tomorrow morning....
    General Dog Discussions : What is your opinion on Bil-Jac puppy food?...

• What is your opinion on Bil-Jac puppy food?

What is your opinion on Bil-Jac puppy food? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 4 month old silky terrier/peekinese and started feeding it Bil-Jac puppy formula. She now has diarhea bad, wondering if it's just cause I changed her food or the Bil-Jac?She has a vet appt. for tomorrow morning.

What is your opinion on Bil-Jac puppy food? General Dog Discussions
    • Read the ingredients, this is not good kibble - mostly corn meal and artificial preservatives.Get her some good dry like Canidae - but always introduce a new food gradually - 1/4 new, then 1/2, not all at once.

• Yep, Diarrhea from the change. Try mixing old with new to stop that.Also, I highly recommend Bil-Jac as a food for any pet. My dogs even eat it and they love it!A lot better than that nasty Pedigree or Good Life *shakes*

• It will take your puppy's young digestive track a while to adjust to any new food, whatever the quality, so digestive upsets are normal. If you switched her cold-turkey to Bil-Jac, that is probably the cause of her diarrhea. A new food should be introduced very slowly and, depending on how she takes to it, you shouldn't be afraid to stretch it out over a week or two. Then, if you really wanted to stick with Bil-Jac you should stay with it at least 4-6 weeks for her to get used to it. However, I don't think Bil-Jac is a good choice for any puppy. It, like a lot of not so great dog foods, contains chicken by-products, "products that are of such low quality as to be rejected for use in the human food chain, or else are those parts that have so little value that they cannot be used elsewhere in either the human or pet food industries ... such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines." It is also full of corn, which is hard for dogs to digest, let alone a puppy with a sensitive tummy, and is highly allergenic. It also contains BHA, "a chemical preservative believed to be carcinogenic." I'm sure you love your new little pup and the last thing you want to feed it is a food that can cause cancer. By investing a little more in your pet food you could probably save big time on vet bills. Some good quality foods that won't cost you an arm and a leg are Artemis brand foods, Blue Buffalo (although they have been caught up in recall messes), Halo, Wellness, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, Holistic Select, Castor and Pollux, etc. These aren't perfect, but they're much better choices. Good luck with your pup!

• My opinion is to change the food asap. I'm not surprised that she has diarrhea bad. It could also be because of the switch. The best thing to do when switching any dog food is to mix the two together than gradually add less and less of the old food. Here is a site that will show you which dog foods are the best and the worst. I suggest that you get any one of the dog foods that are top rated. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/Most of grocery store dog food formulas, like IAMS, Pedigree, Science Diet, Purina,and etc contain "meat and bone meal" which has been known to contain dead dogs and cats that were euthanized in animal shelters. Their bodies are picked up and bought by the truck load by "rendering plants" , that also pick up road kill, dead live stock, and etc. They are shredded, and boiled. They skim off the fat on the top of the "soup" and collected it and sell it to pet food companies as "animal fat", the rest of the animals' remains are crushed up, dried and sold to dog and cat food companies as meat and bone meal.You can read more about it here.http://earthislandprojects.org/eijournal/fall97/fe_fall97petfood.htmlHere is an article where the owner of a rendering plant talks about it. He says that cremating the dead shelter animals would cause pollution, and that rendering them is good.http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m5072/is_12_26/ai_115041999Here is further information on what you shouldn't see in the ingredients list in your puppy's food.http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredientsTop rated dog foods like Canidae contain good healthy ingredients.