I have a 2 yr old bischon dog that had been abused and we rescued her. She goes absolutely wild when someone?

comes in. She bites and growls how can I stop this behavior?She is fine with me and my husband but our sons, and grandchildren come in I am afraid she will bite them. Please help me....

I have a 2 yr old bischon dog that had been abused and we rescued her. She goes absolutely wild when someone?

comes in. She bites and growls how can I stop this behavior?She is fine with me and my husband but our sons, and grandchildren come in I am afraid she will bite them. Please help me.......
    General Dog Discussions : I have a 2 yr old bischon dog that had been abused and we rescued her. She goes absolutely wild when someone?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have a 2 yr old bischon dog that had been abused and we rescued her. She goes absolutely wild when someone?

I have a 2 yr old bischon dog that had been abused and we rescued her. She goes absolutely wild when someone? General Dog Discussions
      comes in. She bites and growls how can I stop this behavior?She is fine with me and my husband but our sons, and grandchildren come in I am afraid she will bite them. Please help me....

I have a 2 yr old bischon dog that had been abused and we rescued her. She goes absolutely wild when someone? General Dog Discussions
    • you can't let her at all. she has to be restrained. when someone is coming, put her in a safe room. you will have to slowly desensitize her by letting her get used to new people and letting her get away if she feels threatened. considering that she was abused, i would give her a lot of space. she may never fully adjust.

• You've got a territorial little one on your hands! Your dog needs to know that he's not the boss, you are, and if you're inviting someone in that he needs to accept it. He would definitely benefit from some training to teach him some manners. That little guy sounds like a law suit waiting to happen without some boundaries!

• put her on a leash when people come over and have her sit as they enter. Give her a chance to warm up to them on her own maybe have them try and give her one of her favourite treats after she calms down a bit. Hopefully she will eventually start to associate guests with goodies. Since she's been abused I think she may be acting out in fear. My rescue labX was also abused before I got her and this worked for her but she's a chow hound and will befriend anyone once they've given her food.

• number one, you can do what crazyem said.and meanwhile, you can also take her to a doggie school, and they will help. also, when a dog or cat is misbehaving, then you can spritz with some water from a squirt bottle, and for dogs there is also a keychain that you can buy, and you push a button and it makes a really high pitched noise that we can hear, but for dogs they hear it a lot louder and it annoys them, and they usually stop what they are doing to figure out where the sound is coming from.or you could go the meaner way and put a muzzle on them.

• Abused dogs take a long time to trust someone. Its fine with you and your husband because youre around her mostly. Give her some time when your sons and grandkids come around and dont leave the dog alone with them for awhile. Also if your grandkids are really little, let them look but not touch her until theyre a little older and understand animal's boundaries. When she gets used to them youll be able to leave your dog alone with them for short periods at a time and eventually she'll be as fine with them as she is with you and your hubby <3

• try having him on a chain choker and lead for when people come and have him with you at the door to greet them.make sure others ignore him til they go sit down and just let them pat sometimes.he was frightened but i understand your concern just give soft pull on lead when he mucks up and he Will eventually leave the room.just make sure people don't go and fuss about him,its too overwhelming for the dog right now.i rescued my foxy and she was like this and within 3months she is so loving.she still growls but that depends on Who is at my door now.but she barks happily when the family and friends come too.practise this with people at different times so she gets a variety of callers.BUT let the people know so they can help you.maybe have her settle in another room until you are sure she Will be safe,but I'm concerned that kids may not be good to help right now.be patient and gentle but be firm and don't confuse your dog.good luck,bless you for rescuing a dog.

• When someone comes to the door, put her on a leash so you have control. When you answer the door (and you need a pocket full of really yummy treats) put her in a sit stay. Praise her verbally and with treats for "good sit" and "no growl". Lots and lots of praise for good behaviour, if she gets up, have her sit again and praise again. If she growls, tell her "no growling", then lots of praise as soon as she complies.The people coming in are to totally ignore her - no eye contact, no talking to or trying to pet her. Depending on how she reacts, (this is really hard with a dog you can't see!!) they might now be able to try to interact with her. If she seems pretty calm, they can offer her a treat but no petting at this point. They can hold out their hand to her to sniff, but it's really important for an abused dog that she be the one to make the decision as to when a new person can pet her.You might have to take her in to sit down on the leash, let her approach them at her leisure. If she seems amenable, let them give her treats. This is going to be a process - don't try to rush it, reward any progress, but don't push her. Kids need to be kept away from her until she's been turned around. You can't take the chance of them getting bitten. You might want to consider getting a behaviourist in to help you if it's not working for you.

• Since she has been abused, it sounds like she is displaying fear aggression which happens when new people are introduced into her environment. I would invest in a dog crate immediately and place it in a quiet area where she can see what is going on. Make sure that she learns to view this as her safe place and do not allow anyone to go near her cage. If they do, she will feel trapped and the aggression will become worse. She will probabley never outgrow this as a dog's behaviour is imprinted at an early age, but you can ensure everyone's safety by always use the crate to prevent injuries and stress. Do not ever punish her for her behaviour. Offer a treat when she goes into her cage so she views it as a good experience. I have a dog that was rescued by the humane society when they closed down a puppy mill. She also behaved the way your dog is. She no longer reacts as drastically as before, but we watch her at all times when people are near and always place her in her cage whenever children come to visit.A fear biter can be very dangerous and it is not something to take chances with. Her cage is equipped with water, blanket and a special toy. I also cover half of the cage with a blanket so she can hide, if she chooses.For those of you that may read this, I was transporting her to the vet to be euthanized as most of the puppies needed to be for health and temperment reasons. She was not as her health problems were minimal and my vet suggested that I could keep her permanently as I have the time and experience to work with her.