There is a specific breed of dog that I want to breed, but I want to be a responsible breeder. I love this?

breed of dogs so much. Can you tell me what seperates a puppy mill from a responsible dog breeder. Please I really don't want answers from people saying that there are already to many dogs in the pounds. I am a very responsible pet owner and I want to…

There is a specific breed of dog that I want to breed, but I want to be a responsible breeder. I love this?

breed of dogs so much. Can you tell me what seperates a puppy mill from a responsible dog breeder. Please I really don't want answers from people saying that there are already to many dogs in the pounds. I am a very responsible pet owner and I want to…...
    General Dog Discussions : There is a specific breed of dog that I want to breed, but I want to be a responsible breeder. I love this?...

• There is a specific breed of dog that I want to breed, but I want to be a responsible breeder. I love this?

There is a specific breed of dog that I want to breed, but I want to be a responsible breeder. I love this? General Dog Discussions
      breed of dogs so much. Can you tell me what seperates a puppy mill from a responsible dog breeder. Please I really don't want answers from people saying that there are already to many dogs in the pounds. I am a very responsible pet owner and I want to be a responsible breederBy the way the breed is known as the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

There is a specific breed of dog that I want to breed, but I want to be a responsible breeder. I love this? General Dog Discussions
    • HIA puppy mill is a lot of over crowding and many different breeds. The dogs usually live in filth or wore bottom cages. They breed just for the purpose of making money and don't care if the dogs are healthy or not. They mass produce and clean the feces and urine off the puppies and clean up the eye goo just before they are shipped out to brokers or pet stores. A responsible breeder has their dogs vet checked makes sure they are breeding the standard and wanna improve on the breed, their puppies are vet checked and the homes they go to are checked out and it is always good to do an interview with the person that is purchasing your puppy. Hope this answers your question.Lammy

• firts off read the breeding of dogs act.to be a responsible breeder you should aim to improve the breed by only breeding dogs theat closley match the standard.you should have them tested for heridatory disesaes eg eye tests etc.only breed good temperments and healthy dogs. never breed a female every season they need at least one season off. breed a female no more than 5 times and no younger than a year and not on the first season.find good homes only and cheak the homes first.puppie farms dont do these and they only care about money not the dogs themselves.

• There is still a need for responsible breeders. Firstly start small with just one dog or maybe two. If possible own both the male and the female so your costumers can see what the pups will look like when grown. Make sure your dogs are of the highest caliber so that your pups will also be high caliber. Secondly make sure you have enough room not only for the adult dogs but for those busy pups. This is not an apartment or even a city business. Third talk to other breeders and learn what you need to know about food and care of the breed BEFORE you buy your dog. Contact a vet and screen several before you start a breeding program. If you buy a female pup make sure you wait until she is at least a year and half old before breeding her for the first time. Do not breed her any more often than once a year. Being a breeder cannot be your sole source of income at least not until you become quite large and well known for quality dogs. This cannot be rushed.Good luck with your ambitions and be sure to play and have fun with those puppies good for you and them.

• Puppy mills are the animal version of a factory production line breeding (or should I say churning out) puppies of whatever breed is considered to be the latest fashion accessory. Alternatively they breed "designer" dogs (glorified cross breds aka mutts when they get to the pound) and like any "factory" environment they are often cramped, over crowed and the females are almost perpetually pregnant. Responsible breeders breed both pure breds and cross breds (shock horror at mention cross breeds but there are some very specific and usuful reasons for crossing various breeds). Anyway responsible people put the animals welfare first and this includes the contemplated puppies before they are concieved. The question you have to ask is why do you wnat to breed puppies? If its just because they are cute then that is irresponsible, if its to try to use them as a commodity and make money from sales then that is also headed in the irresponsible direction. To be responsible you need to know that the pups that you breed will have good homes and not have to take pot luck with the first person prepared to take them. There is usually more of a demand for "registered purebreeds puppies" or " purebreds from registered parents" and this would increase the chances of findinga responsible home. I have seen adds in local papers where breeders have placed adds requesting expressions of interest in puppies that have just been born and not "ready to go" for months and sometimes even advised of intention to breed puupies and asked for expressions of interest. I think that is the key to being responsible, it is about looking after the interests of the puppies and if you wont be able to find them good caring homes- dont breed them.

• Face the truth about pet overpopulation! Please, check out the following sites. Why do you want to beed a dog? Are you not aware that there are 15 dogs born for every one human? http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.cause&cgid=1&rgid=2&stid=10Are you not aware that there are millions of dogs killed every year because of not enough homes? http://www.jour.unr.edu/outpost/voices/voi.valdyke.animal.htmlAre you not aware that only 1 dog in 10 gets a permanent home? www.safehavenforcats.com/main.htmAre you not aware that one female and her offspring can produce 67,000 dogs in just six years? http://www.metroplexanimalcoalition.com/SpayNeuter/didyouknow.htmlThat coupled with the health benefits of spay/neuter WHY would you breed your dog? www.sniksnak.com/benefits.htmlhttp://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/myths_and_facts_about_spaying_and_neutering.html

• One thing most here have missed- the overwealming majority of responsible breeders are members of their national breed club, a local kennel club (or breed club), one (or more) internet lists and do SOMETHING (breed shows, field trials, obedience, agility....) with there dogs that gets them out in the public eye & gives the owner a chance to compare their dogs with everyone elses....Without that contact its hard to know what health problems to look out for or to know if something with your dogs isnt normal.....It also builds a network of people for help, advice, stud use, puppy buyer referral...

• How many DOZENS of shows have you ATTENDED? ENTERED??Have you read the BREED STANDARD enough to recite it BACKWARDS?How many YEARS have you groomed,handled,FINISHED dogs?Who's the TOP BREEDER? & WHY?Who's the TOP PRODUCER-dog *&* bitc-h. & WHY???What are the most common health concerns & HOW are they passed on?Spend about TWENTY YEARS doing the above & then ...maybe....you'll be ready to THINK about the responsibility in making just ONE quality pup.

• Forget about the comments left saying you need to wait 20 years and so on. You are doing the RIGHT thing by researching and asking questions first. You do need to look closely at the breed standard and take a look at the champs. All breeders start somewhere and so far you are off to a good start. You can find the breed standard at the AKC website. You also want to check the national club for your breed, they will be a wealth of information for you. Spend some time looking a puppy for sale ads you will quickly get a "feel" for the puppy mills. You will see breeders with multiple breeds for sale, this in my opinion, is a puppy mill. The other comment was right on the button, start off with just two dogs and go from there. I am sure you already know that you start off with two healthy dogs (vet cert) and get the dogs with the best pedigrees. It is almost impossible to see more than one or two dogs of the bloodline to see that it is a good bloodline so you will have to look at the parents pedigree. The more money you invest in the parents the better off you will be when breeding them (offspring) Good Luck!

• First you start by learning. Start going to shows. Make a point of attending specialties (shows for Cavaliers only), especially the National Specialty if you can. The National Specialty is where you can see the best representatives of the breed, network with breeders and attend educational events.Join the national Cavalier Club, your regional Cavalier club, and your local all-breed kennel club. Participate as much as you can.Read everything you can on dogs, breeding, training, health, behavior, genetics, showing etc.When you buy your next dog, think of it as your "practice" dog, not necessarily a breeding dog. It will be easier to get a qualtiy animal if you get a male. This is because breeders usually produce more good males than they can use, and they would be delighted to find a home that's interested in showing him. Good females are like gold to a breeder, and they're not going to trust one to someone they don't know.Show your dog, learn what you're doing, how to train, groom and present him properly. Try some of the other dog sports too, it will give you a broader perspective.Once you've been at it for a while, and the other breeders know you and know that you're serious and reliable, you should be able to purchase a quality bi tch from a reputable breeder.