We're buying a Pug puppy soon. Any advice for raising a healthy puppy, especially a pug?

We're buying a Pug puppy soon. Any advice for raising a healthy puppy, especially a pug?

We're buying a Pug puppy soon. Any advice for raising a healthy puppy, especially a pug?...
    General Dog Discussions : We're buying a Pug puppy soon. Any advice for raising a healthy puppy, especially a pug?...

• We're buying a Pug puppy soon. Any advice for raising a healthy puppy, especially a pug?

We're buying a Pug puppy soon. Any advice for raising a healthy puppy, especially a pug? General Dog Discussions

We're buying a Pug puppy soon. Any advice for raising a healthy puppy, especially a pug? General Dog Discussions
    • make sure you get him or her used to having their feet touched and handled as soon as possible. Pugs are notorious for hating having their nails done, so if you get them used to the handling nice and early, it will make it that much easier.

• 1. Buy from a reptuable breeder- NEVER buy from a petstore, newspaper ad, out of state website, etc. Pugs are prone to a HUGE number of health problems, so it's essential you find a pup from healthy bloodlines.2. Prepare before you buy. Think of everything you need, and then think again, and again, and again. You should have, BEFORE the pup comes home:Crate, food, bowls, leash, collar, puppy-safe toys, beds, potty pads, brush, shampoo, ear cleaner, toothbrush/toothpaste, nail clippers, Nutri-Cal or Ener-Gel (VERY important if puppy doesn't eat well at first, keeps his energy up), regular and emergency vet phone numbers, breeder contact information.3. Choose a good food. Most health problems in dogs can be resolved with a good diet- from skin problems, to organ problems, and even excessive tartar! Here are some good foods to choose from: Artemis, Merrick, Wellness, Innova Evo, Orijen, Professional, Chicken Soup, Solid Gold. Bad foods to avoid: Iams, Eukanuba, Purina, Pedigree, Alpo, Ol Roy, Hill's Science Diet, Royal Canin, Beneful, Gravy Train, anything purchased at a grocery store.4. Study crate training. It will save your sanity and carpets.5. Start obedience training no later than 12 weeks. Even small dogs need to know their basic commands.6. Begin a grooming regiment young. Start trimming the tips of the nails and wiping the ears out with ear cleaner on a cotton ball about once a week. Use a soft bristle brush or rubber curry comb to help keep shedding down. Bathe at least once per month, but no more often than once per week. Avoid getting water into a pug's face or ears, use a damp washcloth to wipe out the folds and wrinkles on his face instead. 7. Socialize! Bring that puppy everywhere with you! Let him meet people of every age, all sorts of animals, and every environment you can find. The more experiences a puppy has, the better adjusted he will be. I have a 15 week old pup and you can't upset him if you try! He will go anywhere, do anything, meet anyone, and nothing scares him at all. Fearful dogs get nervous or aggressive, so it's important to start socializing right away.Good luck!

• One thing u have to watch out for with pugs is weight problems. Once they get older and aren't as enterjetic I suggest keeping them on a diet, not a strict diet and if you give them a lot of treats cut it down to like 2 or 3 a day. Also make sure they get exercise. Hope I helped. Good luck with ur puppies.

• Good choice. Just make sure you keep up with the vaccines and check ups from the Vet. Start on a Heartworm Prevention and stay on that year round. Also, use some sort of flea & tick prevention. If you aren't planning on breeding, get it fixed. Choose the right food and make sure he doesn't get overweight. It can be stressful on those small little legs. Also, since Pugs have a sort of smushed face - make sure they don't get too hot because it's harder for them to breathe with those smaller noses. Hope this helps!

• ****I really, really hope that you are getting your puppy from a reputable breeder, and not from a shop. Breeders who take care and are responsible have a health guarantee on their dogs - believe me, you do not want to cut corners here. A sick puppy who dies because of careless breeding and aftercare is a heartbreak - do not buy puppies from "back yard breeders".***I think that the best training advice is not going to come from here, but from a moderated group that emphasizes positive training:http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/spt/Even if you never ask a question there, you can still join and look through their "files" and "FAQ" sections. Lots of great, friendly trainers who are up to date on the science of training. Good luck!

• Be sure you buy a healthy puppy, first of all! Your breeder should be willing and happy to share with you the puppy's parents, where the puppies were born and raised, what she's been feeding them, etc. She should also offer you a health guarantee and be eager to offer you help if you need it along the way, even to the point of taking the puppy back should things not work out for you.Find a good vet and keep up with his healthcare. Find some kind of insurance or Wellness Plan like Banfield's: http://www.banfield.net/health/owp_puppies.aspKeep him stimulated, both mentally and physically. He'll grow stronger and smarter that way, same as a human child. Also, puppies that get bored or have too much pent-up energy tend to develop bad habits, like digging, chewing, barking, etc.Feed him a high quality dogfood (look for meats as the primary ingredients rather than corn or grains, and avoid any foods that use protein by-products) and don't get him used to lots of treats or tablescraps early on to avoid pickiness and/or obesity later.Get him used to having his teeth brushed, his ears, feet, and mouth handled, etc. It's not hard to get a puppy used to it. Much harder to try to teach an adult who's frightened by it.Get him used to a crate. Even if you have no need to crate him in your home (and you never know when you might) the odds are good that he'll have to go into a crate, cage, or kennel at some point in his life. If he's already used to it, it will really reduce the stress of the experience.Invest some time and cash in training classes with him. They're not necessary for a well-behaved dog, but they're a great bonding experience and you learn a lot from them on how to train your dog better on your own.Socialize him well, especially if you buy a puppy younger than 12 wks old. Expose him to other dogs and to as many different kinds of people and places as you can. While he is young, he is open to new experiences, but when he gets older he is much more likely to be afraid of unfamiliar things.That's all I can think of for now... good luck with your new puppy!

• I have a pug. They are absolutely GREAT dogs! Some things you might want to know when it comes to raising a good puppy in general are:-Take a Q-Tip and clean in between their wrinkles.-Clean inside their ears also. You can get a book that will show you how to do this. -Don't hit your dog for punishment. It causes strong mistrust between human and dog. -Keep in mind that pugs will get dry and crusty noses because their face is "smashed" and their nose rubs the floor everytime they eat.-Pugs tend to be messy eaters when they get older. They like to spread the food around the floor because it's easier for them to eat considering the type of face/nose they have! -They usually circle before they lay down.-Also, they tend to sneeze and circle before they go to the bathroom-Sometimes it will sound like they are growling, but they are not. They just snort.

• I have a pug puppy too!! nice choice. well, i agree with kimberely about the nails. also, you should always have lots of water provided. pugs can sometimes die from the hotness of the sun so i would just make sure that you have enough water provided for them!!