Is this in bad health for a puppy?

So I got a Siberian husky for my boyfriend a month ago and he is 12 weeks old. My boyfriend went on a short backpacking tip and brought him with him. And now I am being told that that was a mistake and the pup can't take it there because of the germs.…

So I got a Siberian husky for my boyfriend a month ago and he is 12 weeks old. My boyfriend went on a short backpacking tip and brought him with him. And now I am being told that that was a mistake and the pup can't take it there because of the germs.…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is this in bad health for a puppy?...

• Is this in bad health for a puppy?

Is this in bad health for a puppy? General Dog Discussions
      So I got a Siberian husky for my boyfriend a month ago and he is 12 weeks old. My boyfriend went on a short backpacking tip and brought him with him. And now I am being told that that was a mistake and the pup can't take it there because of the germs. Does anyone have any professional opinion? I don't want to worry until I have to and they are still gone. They are coming back tomorrow. If it was a mistake what should we do when he comes back? Straight to the vet?

Is this in bad health for a puppy? General Dog Discussions
    • Honestly, I wouldn't be concerned so much about the germs, but more for the strenuous activity. Too much activity can mess with their growth plates and cause joint problems later in life, especially with larger breeds.

• There are "germs" everywhere, as long as the puppy is current on all vaccinations & is on a parasite preventative, there should be nothing to worry about, unless something happened & in that case, the pup should see a VET.

• Puppies that young are a lot more prone to getting sick or getting an infection beacuse they're immune system is still develping. My dog had 3 litters and her last litter we didnt want to leave home when they were only a few weeks old and took them to petsmart and starbucks and they were all still fine and still had a great bill of health. Unless he is acting funny or sick or anything he should be fine assuming he is UTD with his vaccs.

• what kind of "germs" are you talking about?No puppy should be taken to public places until he has had all of his puppy shots and be on heartworm preventative.By taking him out in the woods, he is subject to fleas and ticks (which can carry Lymes disease), heartworm and other intestinal worms. If he drinks from ponds or creeks, he could pick up giardia, etc.Unless he is showing symptoms of illness, I wouldn't worry. Just get his shots, heartworm preventative, etc when he gets back. Also start him on flea/tick prevention. This is going to cost quite a bit but this is what it takes to maintain a healthy dog that will be out in public.

• take it to the vet...has it had all its vaccinations? because you have to wait a certain amout of time before the pup can be exposed to all the germs and diseases that other animals carry. also, a backpacking trip sounds very strenuous for a young puppy...they need loads of rest regulary and too much activity can cause probs later on. i'd prob jus take it to the vet tho to put ur mind at rest and make sure its health is all ok.

• Best thing your boyfriend did was take the dog with him. Don't worry about the dog, he's fine. Next trip take the dog, and keep taking the dog on outings. The dog should get the normal disease shots during it's life, but not run to the doc's everytime it goes outside. Mans best friend is his dog,and the trips will make a strong bond for life. You gave a very wonderfull gift,and if you go on some outings with them the bond might include you too.