Re: What vaccines does a puppy need?

Could you run me through the order of vaccines a puppy needs starting at birth? I don't have a puppy (yet) or a pregnant dog, but when I ask the breeder questions of the puppy's vaccination I don't want to miss any of them, and also what yearly…

Could you run me through the order of vaccines a puppy needs starting at birth? I don't have a puppy (yet) or a pregnant dog, but when I ask the breeder questions of the puppy's vaccination I don't want to miss any of them, and also what yearly…...
    General Dog Discussions : Re: What vaccines does a puppy need?...

• Re: What vaccines does a puppy need?

Re: What vaccines does a puppy need? General Dog Discussions
      Could you run me through the order of vaccines a puppy needs starting at birth? I don't have a puppy (yet) or a pregnant dog, but when I ask the breeder questions of the puppy's vaccination I don't want to miss any of them, and also what yearly vaccinations does a dog need, how much would they cost? Note: I have already ask this question, but I had gotten different answers, and wasn't sure, so I will ask this one last time, so please answer!

Re: What vaccines does a puppy need? General Dog Discussions
    • The BEST thing to do is call your vet, or the vet you will be using, and ask some questions. They can tall you all about the vaccine protocol that they use and you can do some research and see if it jives with what you want to do.

• Go to a shelter, they will already have all of their shots, and be spayed/neutered and ready to go! There are thousands of perfectly happy, healthy dogs waiting for a family like yours to take them home! Young and Old! I urge you to visit your local shelters! You will find someone perfect for your family is already waiting for you! Most shelter have websites with pics available. Check it out!!

• This is the recommended schedule. 5 weeks Parvovirus: for puppies at high risk of exposure to parvo, some veterinarians recommend vaccinating at 5 weeks. Check with your veterinarian. 6 & 9 weeks Combination vaccine* without leptospirosis. Coronavirus: where coronavirus is a concern. 12 weeks or older Rabies: Given by your local veterinarian (age at vaccination may vary according to local law). 12 & 15 weeks** Combination vaccine Leptospirosis: include leptosporosis in the combination vaccine where leptospirosis is a concern, or if traveling to an area where it occurs. Coronavirus: where coronavirus is a concern. Lyme: where Lyme disease is a concern or if traveling to an area where it occurs. Adult (boosters)§ Combination vaccine Leptospirosis: include leptospirosis in the combination vaccine where leptospirosis is a concern, or if traveling to an area where it occurs. Coronavirus: where coronavirus is a concern. Lyme: where Lyme disease is a concern or if traveling to an area where it occurs. Rabies: Given by your local veterinarian (time interval between vaccinations may vary according to local law).

• When I was getting my lab, I went to the vet and they gave me a list of all costs I would be incurring during the first year. They broke the list down into visits (months) and they listed the vaccines I needed then. This not only gave me an idea of what she would get, but how much it would cost. Depending on the state, rabbies is on a yearly basis. I know when I took her last year, she received 3 boosters, but I can't remember which. Don't be afraid to ask the breeder questions. They will guide and help you. It's in their best interest to sell their pups to people who truly care and will take good care of their dogs.As for cost, it depends on the state, how much the dog weighs (dosage) and the vet's office itself. Shop around. Ask friends about their vets and visit their offices to get these lists. IT was very helpful for me. I ended up switching vets when my lab was a year old.

• NO VACCINATIONS for puppies UNDER 8 weeks of age!!!!Vaccination protocol:8 weeks distemper/parvo12 weeks repeat16 weeks 3rd and final repeatBooster one year later and then not again for at least 3 years (although this may be changing in the near future since it has been shown that the vaccine lasts at least 7 years and possibly for life)20 weeks rabies a booster in one year then not again for 3 years (unfortunately some states still require rabies to be done yearly)Lepto, Parainfluenza, Lymes, Bordatella (kennel cough) are NOT needed by al ldogs and should only be given to those dogs at high risk of exposure.coronavirus, adenovirus-1 & giardia should NOT be given to ANY dog..ever!!The above is the current protocol from the AAHA/AVMA and ALL 27 vet schools.To learn more about vaccinating check out Dr Jean Dodds or Dr Ron Schultz sites Also articles by Purdue, University of Wisconsin Vet School, Cornell, Dr Bob Rogers, Texas A& M and the Nov Issue of The Whole Dog Journal from 2006. Also go to the Critter Advocacy site.