what yearly shots does my dog need?

he is 11.. has allergies and when taken to the vet for his shots.. the bill is nuts... over 600.00 .what shots are required and can i do them myself?

he is 11.. has allergies and when taken to the vet for his shots.. the bill is nuts... over 600.00 .what shots are required and can i do them myself?...
    General Dog Discussions : what yearly shots does my dog need?...

• what yearly shots does my dog need?

what yearly shots does my dog need? General Dog Discussions
      he is 11.. has allergies and when taken to the vet for his shots.. the bill is nuts... over 600.00 .what shots are required and can i do them myself?

what yearly shots does my dog need? General Dog Discussions
    • Adult dogs (over 2 years of age)Annual revaccination (boosters) is recommended for the first year after the "puppy vaccines"; thereafter, you should discuss the benefits and risks of annual vaccination with your vet. In the past, the DHLP (distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus) vaccine was typically given each year. These recommendations are changing. The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) came out with new guidelines in 2006 that suggests that adult dog vaccines boosters may be adequate if given every 3 years. Specific vaccine requirements for individual dogs should be discussed with your veterinarian. The most appropriate vaccination program for your pet should be followed.Again, if the risk of kennel cough is great, a vaccine against bordetella is recommended. The bordetella vaccine needs to be given twice yearly, and each year you and your veterinarian should assess whether it is required. The rabies vaccine should be given as recommended by local law. Newer vaccines effective against specific forms of the bacteria leptospirosis may be important in some areas. The need for the vaccine should be determined based on the area of the country your dog lives in and his or her life-style. If given, they should be administered once to twice a year.Other vaccinations that are sometimes given by your veterinarian include coronavirus, Lyme and giardia. These are not routinely given to every animal, and their use should be discussed with your veterinarian. The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) came out with new guidelines in 2006 that suggests that coronavirus and giardia vaccines are not recommended for dogs at any age. The Borreliosis/Lyme disease vaccine is recommended for dogs that live in an endemic area where risk of exposure to the tick vector is high or dogs that travel to endemic areas.#I give vaccines myself, except, for rabies. My mother did it and I do it too. It's easier, cheaper, less stressful on the dog but not something anyone should do. DEFINITELY have a talk with your vet before doing so and weigh and pros and cons. For 99% of dogs owners I really don't recommend it, unless you have a clue of what to do and only if you knew the vaccines were properly handled prior to my buying them.Too high of heat can inactivate vaccines,then I'm sure some are selling bogus vaccines too.Just tell them. Bring the vaccines in and let them mark it. Your vet should be happy to show you how, if not..... Check this site here: http://www.crvetcenter.com/injection.htmThe standard 5way vaccine that includes corona and parvo should cost you around $10.00 US from your vet, you can also order them online, Jeffers is a good source. In some states you can do your own rabies as well, however this is not recomended if you live where your dog needs a tag.

• At the most, a parvo and distemper shot. MANY pets are over-vaccinated, which can lead to health problems. Just do a search on vaccinosis and you'll be amazed. If he's had yearly shots his whole life of 11 years, I wouldn't give him any more at all. If you want to give him the shots yourself, they can be purchased at a farm or feed store for about $5 (shows you how much vets can rip you off).

• Most shots you can do yourself. Breeders like to do shots themselves since they have many animals and to prepare for emergencies. You have to consider if your dog could handle you giving them a shot and if you can locate the correct spots to deliver the shot.It's easier for strangers to treat pets some times as the pets are caught off guard and behave differently. If a Pets owner is anxious and unsure, then their pet will flip out in responce to this. If you think you are hurting them, then they will react to your body, voice, and expression.So if you could manage to do these shots yourself has some factors that we can't see or magically decide. You also have to buy the stuff for the shots and that may be a large quanity relatively speaking and you have to refridgerate it.

• When he is getting his shots and the bill is $600, he isn't just getting shots. That shouldn't be more than about $200, including the exam fee. I'm sure they are running other tests and treatments for your dog. Are you purchasing Heartguard or Frontline while you are there? That will add up the bill, but vaccines alone are really not expensive.At 11, most veterinarians generally chose to stop vaccinating the animal if he has consistantly gotten his shots every year. However, if your dog goes to groomers, boarding kennels, or dog parks, he will be required to have his DHPP (or a variation of this), Bordatella, and Rabies. Depending on your state, Lepto or Corona might be required. Legally, the only vaccine your dog needs to always be UTD on is Rabies, because that disease can be transferred to humans if your dog was to come in contact with the virus.

• you should calll your vet to ask them that that what i did . but i didnt not called them i went to the vet offical they just told me and even give me a copy what the last time my dogs had their shots.

• Over $600 just for shots? No way. Current vaccination protocol does not recommend annual boosters other than rabies (which is required by law & can be administered as a 3 year vaccine) unless the dog is in a high risk situation/area which can be discussed with your vet. You can do annual titer testing, which will test your dog's immune response to the conditions he would be immunized for, and take it from there

• Hi,Many of the most important vaccines can be given together, in what's often called the DHLPP vaccine. Some, like leptospirosis and rabies, require annual boosters that will be a routine part of a checkup. here are more info:http://lnk.nu/dogtime.com/sno.html