What sort of a dog is best for small apartments?

well small dogs would really work best because they r apartment dogs. usaully dogs that have a very lazy habbit but can be well trained r the best

What sort of a dog is best for small apartments?

well small dogs would really work best because they r apartment dogs. usaully dogs that have a very lazy habbit but can be well trained r the best...
    General Dog Discussions : What sort of a dog is best for small apartments?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Regardless of breed, good dogs are not born, they are trained. Where you live does not change that.

• I have a basset hound that was one in January. She'd be great in an apartment! Not high energy and very smart. She's about 16" high and 36 lbs. However, bassets have to be careful on stairs in the first year. They can injury themselves easily so if you live where you have a lot of steps I'd say no with this breed. I agree with the energy level and temperament on what dog would work in your apt. GOOD LUCK!

• Any dog can live in an apartment! That being said, not every dog will fit into your life! Lots of things to consider: energy level, temperment, and disposition...YOURS and the dogs.Do you like high level activities like running? If so, a Doxie with its short legs is not going to appreciate you very much. Do you enjoy sewing and watching TV? You might want to rethink the dog who is bouncing off the walls with pure engery.Where are you at this stage of your life, and where do you want to be in 5 or 10 years. Dogs, like humans, are living longer thanks to advances in medicine. If you plan on owning a sheep or cattle ranch 5 years from now, maybe you should consider a dog from the Herding group. Some dogs, like some people, can be "high maintenance". The standard poodle is a great dog, but you have tons of grooming. Are you up for that? Maybe the "wash and wear" variety (short coated dogs) would be a better fit.Before you even start looking at puppies go to the library and check out the AKC Complete Book of Dogs. Really study the "standard" for each breed that jumps out at you. It will tell you volumes about rather that particular breed will fit into your life. (It may even help you evaluate mix breeds at the shelter, with a better idea of what you are looking at.)When you narrow it down to a couple of breeds, then you need to do your research on breeders. A good breeder will be there as your mentor, forever. Choose wisely. A good place to start might be Yahoo Groups. Many breeds have groups dedicated just to them...and that's where you will find many of the reputable breeders...exchanging information. Be a "lurker" on that list for a while and you will quickly learn more than you ever wanted to know about that breed and the people who put them on the ground. Good luck.

• i have a small dog in an apartment. i cannot suggest a breed because that depends on what you are looking for and what your personality is. this is what i can recommend. i adopted the best dog from the SPCA (animal shelter). he is a maltese poodle mix. if you adopt an older dog, you can get a better sense of what their personality will be. also, in the case of my dog, he was forced to lived outside with his previous owners. he should not have been left outside--he is very much so a lap dog with outdoor allergies. so he loves to be inside my small apartment. he thinks its a treat to be able to stay inside all the time. so i don't feel bad i don't have a yard for him to out in all the time.

• Everyone has different opinions on which dog is best in apartments and the popular opinion is that small dogs do better in apartments because of their size but most dogs can adapt to your living situation as long as they get enough exercise. The dog you choose should be based on your lifestyle and not apartment size. If you are not an active person you would not want a high energy dog and if you are active you do not want a laid back dog . I really do not think living quarters matter as much as lifestyle so do some research and find the breed that fits into your lifestyle, not your apartment. And remember all dogs, regardless of breed or size, need training and socialization to be a good companion and a good neighbor.Here are some sites that may help:http://www.canismajor.com/dog/apart.htmlhttp://living.apartments.com/pets/picking-your-pup-dog-breedshttp://www.helium.com/tm/231783/those-apartments-should-avoid

• A Dachshund would be great for an apartment. Dachshunds can be laid back, but they like playing outside too. These little dogs have great personalities and are loyal dogs, they are all around fantastic dogs!

• My theory is if you take a dog from the pound, they won't look at your house/apartment and say "HEY, I'M A BORDER COLLIE. YOU ONLY HAVE AN ACRE." They're just happy to be alive. I think it's more about activity level, rather than size, but some landlords disagree and only want dogs under x lbs. I think someone could keep a high energy dog in an apartment if the right exercise were provided. All in all, it's whatever dog is most compatible with the person, rather than the space. I wouldn't adopt a Lab mix, just because I'm not active enough, but if I were, it would live in an apartment.

• well it's not how SMALL they are it's how lazy........ like a basset hound (over 1 year old in human years) or if you want a smal dog they are godd but not a puppy they run around and so if you want a puppy then get pro. trainer. but cats are best so are birds

• Its not really about the size of the dog, but more about the dog's temperament and disposition (the two are not necessarily the same). BEFORE you go out to buy that dog, sit down with a piece of paper and pen and write down your current, short term and long term (12 years) 'lifestyle' goals that you have for yourself. Then discuss those things with the breeders as part of the puppy selection process. The better breeders will know enough about their 'lines' to advise you on suitability.The breeders who can't advise you? Pass on them ... they haven't the experience to assist you.Remember, your puppy purchase involves a living, breathing, thinking animal. Take the time to get it right ... the first time.

• Small dogs require less exercise simply because they are smaller. But there are lots of large breeds who are extremely laid back. Large dogs who are laid back will lounge around all day - but in an apartment, they take up a LOT of space, where little dogs would run around, but wouldn't be as noticeable.

• My husband and I have a 2bd 650sq ft apt with two dogs. One is a spits/jrt and the other is a corgi mix. Both are around 25lbs. It is all about how much energy you want to put into the dog. Our two go on 3 30min jogs per day to get their energy out. The male also wears a weighted backpack for one run. I have a neighbor with the same apt plan as ours and he has a Dane. He sends him to daycare everyday. I have another neighbor with a shih tzu that takes him out just long enough to go potty a couple of times a day but other Wise just lets him run around the house chasing toys to wear out. It is all up to what you feel you can handle. Dogs do need exercise but it depends on how much room they require for that exercise and weather or not you want to take part in the exercise. I will tell you that the better pack is the pack that works together just like in nature.