My puppy was vaccinated for Lymes 1 month ago. Can they get lymes even though vccinated?

My puppy was vaccinated for Lymes 1 month ago. Can they get lymes even though vccinated?

My puppy was vaccinated for Lymes 1 month ago. Can they get lymes even though vccinated?...
    General Dog Discussions : My puppy was vaccinated for Lymes 1 month ago. Can they get lymes even though vccinated?...

• My puppy was vaccinated for Lymes 1 month ago. Can they get lymes even though vccinated?

My puppy was vaccinated for Lymes 1 month ago. Can they get lymes even though vccinated? General Dog Discussions

My puppy was vaccinated for Lymes 1 month ago. Can they get lymes even though vccinated? General Dog Discussions
    • As with any vaccinations none is 100%. It is rare but sometimes they can still get the Lyme disease.Question to Vet Tech. since we both live in CT. I was told just this year by my vet that now they have seen the Lyme's show up in several different ticks including the brown dog tick not just the deer tick. Was she mistaken?? Or is this a subject for more research??Thanks for the info. I too did some reading up on what she told me. I couldn't find any recent studies to support her claims, but she is a awesome vet so I always carefully check my dogs. She always likes to be very cautious. I think I'll keep my ear to the ground, well you know what I mean.Yes my boys are so good and beautiful! I love Saints too! Big lovable bears! Hugs to yours too!

• Unfortunately, yes, your dog can still contract Lyme. The vaccine (as Golden mentioned) is not 100%. Out of all my years working at our vet clinic I have only seen 5 cases of dogs who were vaccinated for Lyme but still contracted the disease. Those particular dogs were always out hiking and camping with their owners.In combination with the vaccination, the best way to protect your baby from Lyme Disease is to use Frontline each and every month all year round (I pulled a tick of of my Newfie pup this past January!) AND to check him/her fomr ticks as often as you can (daily is obviously best, but I know it can't always be done!!). The reason why it is important to check for ticks daily is for the simple reason that Deer Ticks (the only type of tick that carries Lyme Disease) need to be attached to a mammal (your dog!) for two days or more in order to trasmit the bacteria that causes Lyme Disease!Hope this helps! Enjoy your pup :)Hi Golden :), as far as I know from doing my own research and reading up on the various journals at our vet clinic canines can only contract Lyme Disease through a bite of a Deer Tick. The reason for this is that Deer Ticks are the only ticks that carry the specific bacteria (Borrelia burgdorferi) that causes Lyme Disease. It has been proven that Dog Ticks (among others) do not carry Borrelia. However, who knows if a secondary bacteria carried by other ticks will start to also cause Lyme. As for now, I am confident in saying that Deer Ticks are the only ticks that can transmit Lyme, but as we all know, bacteria can mutate and change, so who knows what will happen in the future. Kiss to your goldens, they are awesome dogs!!! :))

• Yes, it is still possible to contract Lyme disease even though he's vaccinated for it. The best way to prevent Lyme is by giving him his first vaccine as a puppy and boosting it 2-3 weeks later and yearly after that. Also keep flea & tick preventitives on him and check for and remove any ticks after he's been playing outside or after walks.