when should my dog vaccinated and how many times?

my dog is a 4 month corgi, female named luna (supposedly lulu but we changed it, hehe)

my dog is a 4 month corgi, female named luna (supposedly lulu but we changed it, hehe)...
    General Dog Discussions : when should my dog vaccinated and how many times?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• when should my dog vaccinated and how many times?

when should my dog vaccinated and how many times? General Dog Discussions
      my dog is a 4 month corgi, female named luna (supposedly lulu but we changed it, hehe)

when should my dog vaccinated and how many times? General Dog Discussions
    • She should have already had the full course of puppy vaccinations and a booster shot at 16 months should follow.If she's had no vaccinations at all you should take her to a vet and have them done.

• Until ur dog makes a year, there will be multiple shots and after there are shots given yearly and twice a year, etc.When you take the pup in for her first set of shots ( plural ), the vet tech can give you a list of what needs to given a when. Most of time when your checking out, they will give u a date of when you should come in next for shots.If its too much to remember, have them print out a list of expected shot dates and descriptions of the shots. Write in ur calendar or set it up as a " reminder " in ur phone. Easy as pie.

• The latest preferred schedule for vaccinations;9 to 10 weeks, Intervet Progard Puppy DPV (Distemper-Parvo) modified live14 weeks, repeat the above20 weeks or older, One year Rabies1 year, Distemper,Parvo Modified live and three weeks later the first 3 year RabiesRabies every three years thereafter by law and titers for everything else to make sure the immunity is holding rather than continually vaccinating and thus putting the dog at risk for serious reactions to the vaccination.

• Yehuda...The usual course of puppy vaccinations come in a series of 3 sets of combination shots, 1 set every three weeks beginning at the puppy's age of 6 to 8 weeks old and continuing until about 16 weeks old with one single rabies vaccination administered at no sooner than 4 months (16 weeks) of age. Those combination shots often include: DHLPP - Distemper, Hepatitis (Adenovirus), Leptospirosis, Parvovirus, and ParainfluenzaIf there are other specific disease concerns in your area, your vet may add others during the course of vaccinating (like Coronavirus, Bordetella or Lyme Disease to name a few). However...because your puppy is already 16 weeks old, it is quite possible that your vet may determine that only 2 puppy vaccinations (1 set now and 1 more set 3 weeks from now) is necessary, along with his rabies vaccination during the first appointment.Reason:Puppies usually receive initial natural immunity from their very first feeding (their mother's colostrum if the mother dog had her own immunities). That's wonderful, however that natural immunity starts to wear off over time. There is no specific sign as to when that happens. If any maternal immunities are still present in a puppy's system at the time of their vaccination, that vaccination is rendered ineffective. What the vaccinations do is allow the puppy's own system a minimal exposure so she can build her own immunization from those diseases. If her maternal immunity is dissipating but still present and she gets a vaccination, that overrides her own system's ability to build those defenses.By putting her through the entire series of shots...1 set every three weeks, she is more likely to have at least one or two of the vaccinations she goes through stimulate her system to build those defenses because by 16 to 18 weeks or so, it is pretty much a definite that ALL maternal immunities have disappeared long before allowing the vaccination to do its job.Also...the older the puppy when you begin vaccinations, often the fewer sets a vet will need to administer. If you didn't get your puppy until she was 3 or 4 months old or so, your vet may only need to provide 2 sets of vaccinations at 3 weeks apart instead of 3.Hope this helps.