If a puppy received their 1st shots at 5-6 weeks old does the medication work?

I was told by my vet that if a puppy receives their shots before they are 8 weeks old the shots do not work.The breeder I got the puppy from gave her the shots. The vet said that we will have to give the shots over again starting from the 1st shots.

I was told by my vet that if a puppy receives their shots before they are 8 weeks old the shots do not work.The breeder I got the puppy from gave her the shots. The vet said that we will have to give the shots over again starting from the 1st shots....
    General Dog Discussions : If a puppy received their 1st shots at 5-6 weeks old does the medication work?...

• If a puppy received their 1st shots at 5-6 weeks old does the medication work?

If a puppy received their 1st shots at 5-6 weeks old does the medication work? General Dog Discussions
      I was told by my vet that if a puppy receives their shots before they are 8 weeks old the shots do not work.The breeder I got the puppy from gave her the shots. The vet said that we will have to give the shots over again starting from the 1st shots.

If a puppy received their 1st shots at 5-6 weeks old does the medication work? General Dog Discussions
    • No, this is not true, but it does have some truth. Puppies need the series of shots before they are completely immune, and also need boosters annually. Here is a typical schedule: Necessary Vaccinations for Dogs & Puppies 6 weeks: Temporary Distemper and Measles vaccination for puppies that did not nurse from their mother during the first hours after birth or puppies from a bitch that is not current on her vaccinations. 8 weeks: DHLPPC*-Distemper, Canine Infectious Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus, and Coronavirus 12 weeks: DHLPPC Booster 16 weeks: DHLPPC Booster 6 months: Rabies (1-year vaccination) 14 months: DHLPPC, administered yearly from this date 18 months: Rabies (3-year vaccination), administered every 3 years from this date * The DHLPPC vaccination requires the two booster injections to build up maximum immunity in the dog

• well i when i bought my rott..he was only 6 weeks...and he got his first shot when he was shy of his seven weeks, so i dont know..the vet didnt tell me anything about the medication not working..hes perfectly healthy..and hes 6 months now...

• Puppies get 3 sets of shots: at 6 and 12 weeks they get the distemper combo shot and at 16 weeks they get another booster of the distemper plus a rabies shot. They need all 3 sets of shots before they are safe.

• I'm a breeder and all my pups receive their first vaccination at 5 wks. old,but must be for a pup that young and must be well experienced in the different types to give puppies.Don't attempt giving a vaccination to a pup younger that 7 wks. old because some vaccinations sold at pet stores are too strong for a pup any younger.Take the pup to your vet and allow him to adminster the vaccinations.

• Puppies (actually all mammals) do not have an independent immune system until they are weaned. Until then, their resistance to disease is supplied by their mother's milk. Most puppies wean between 6 and 8 weeks of age, and at that time they need to begin immunization from disease to build their own defenses.Also, that slew of vaccines Star Gazer suggested is overkill and will damage the puppies kidneys, and has a greater risk of causing autoimmune disorders. Leptospirosis, Bordatella and Parainfluenza are not required for ALL puppies, these vaccines should be tailored to your needs.