is it ok to take a puppy out to dog parks, etc. after only his first vaccination shots?

2 month old, border collie, vet said he needs to go out and meet other dogs and people. im just afraid of him getting the diseases hes being vaccinated for, like distemper.

is it ok to take a puppy out to dog parks, etc. after only his first vaccination shots?

2 month old, border collie, vet said he needs to go out and meet other dogs and people. im just afraid of him getting the diseases hes being vaccinated for, like distemper....
    General Dog Discussions : is it ok to take a puppy out to dog parks, etc. after only his first vaccination shots?...

• is it ok to take a puppy out to dog parks, etc. after only his first vaccination shots?

is it ok to take a puppy out to dog parks, etc. after only his first vaccination shots? General Dog Discussions
      2 month old, border collie, vet said he needs to go out and meet other dogs and people. im just afraid of him getting the diseases hes being vaccinated for, like distemper.

is it ok to take a puppy out to dog parks, etc. after only his first vaccination shots? General Dog Discussions
    • i was told to protect my pup til 12-16 weeks .. and i did.. but after that we took time to socialize him extra.. I heard somewhere that by the time pup is 4 months old he should have been in contact with 100 dogs! Yikes.. If your vet feel comfortable that your puppy is safe enough to visit the dog park then I would go ahead and do that. He should know exactly what vaccines he has and what his system can handle

• Absolutely not, your dog should not go where other dogs go until his vaccine series is complete. Socialization is important, but start with new people. Wait on dogs until he is vaccinated! And if I were you, I would get a new vet. This is basic knowledge. Yikes.

• keep her away from public places until she has all 3 sets of shots than add 1 week to make sure she is immune. But if you have friends who have dogs that are vaccinated have them come over and have a puppy party.

• You need to wait until he has had all of his injections in order for him to be safe with dogs which may not have been vaccinated or to go on ground where they may have been.This doesn't mean he can't meet any dogs, if you know the dog is vaccinated and the land is "clean" then he can. Limit access to dogs you know are vaccinated on either your property or theirs if you know it to be "clean" and he can still socialize.

• As a breader my self NO. 1 needle isnt good enough. All puppies get 3 shots. It is fine 2 weeks after his second shoot. its 6 weeks 8 weeks and 12 to 14 weeks weeks. They are the ages for needles. If your puppy hasnt had a second shoot and you have not waited for the 2 weeks to pass. Then NO your puppy is not fully vaccinated against diseases..............Hope this helps:)