What is the process of adopting a dog?

I know someone whose dog had a litter and they are giving the puppies away to homes to be adopted. I would like to bring home one of those puppies. Since I would be taking the dog from another home and not a shelter, what exactly is the process of…

I know someone whose dog had a litter and they are giving the puppies away to homes to be adopted. I would like to bring home one of those puppies. Since I would be taking the dog from another home and not a shelter, what exactly is the process of…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the process of adopting a dog?...

• What is the process of adopting a dog?

What is the process of adopting a dog? General Dog Discussions
      I know someone whose dog had a litter and they are giving the puppies away to homes to be adopted. I would like to bring home one of those puppies. Since I would be taking the dog from another home and not a shelter, what exactly is the process of adopting this dog? I'm new to this so its a little confusing to me.i play around with my avatar and that is not how i really look like. even if it was, WHO CARES.thank you for those who answered seriously and maturely.. i appreciate it.

What is the process of adopting a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Actually, you aren't be adopting him. You are buying him. Because this puppy is from a whoopsie litter, they are probably not requiring you to fill out an adoption application. All you need to do is go there, give them the money, and bring the dog home! I am not a fan of supporting BYB's, but dogs are dogs. Just be wary of the dog's health, take it to the vet for a checkup and schedule some shots.

• There really is no process. Vet visit of course to be sure the little guy is properly vaccinated and healthy. Your municipality may require some kind of tags but they won't care where the dog came from.

• There really isnt any process for getting a puppy from a BYB....it just depends on what they want.My guess is they will probably just hand you the dog.Make sure the puppies are old enough to leave the mother, find out what vaccinations they have had, and ask what they are feeding them, so you can give the puppy the same food.It would be a good idea to take your puppy to the vet right away for a checkup, and dont take him out in public until he is done with his vaccinations.And get some sleep now, because you wont be getting much once he comes home - you will need to get up several times during the night to take him out.

• If it is a private adoption and there is no shelter or rescue involved, it is fairly easy. You contact the people and tell them you would like one of the puppies. You should meet them and the puppies and adults dog(s) to make sure everything is in order. Make sure to meet at their house and see where the dogs are raised. Since the puppies are being given away, you won't need to put a deposit down, but make sure they know which puppy you want and they have your contact info. Once the puppy is ready to go home (no sooner than 8 weeks old), you go pick it up. Bring a carrier, blanket and water (if an long trip). Before you pick up the puppy, make sure you have the needed supplies. Get a collar and leash, carrier/crate, bed, food and water bowl, food (what they are feeding, you can switch later), cleaning supplies, toys, grooming products (brushes, shampoo etc). If there is anything else you need, get that too. You should have what you need before you get the puppy so you don't need to pick up stuff later. It is also a good idea to look at vets in your area. The puppy will need a check up and vaccinations withing a few weeks of you getting it. You should get any vet records from the people with the puppies.

• Well, if they're just giving them away, then you could probably take it straight home. First, you should research the breed(s) of the puppies. You'll want to know how big it's going to get, and what it's temperament/energy level will be when it grows up. What are the sire and dam like? Second, make a list of the traits you are looking for in a dog. Do you want a jogging partner? A couch potato? A dog that is under 20 lbs or over 80? Does your list match up with the litter? If so, then you're probably good to go. If not, then you might want to rethink it. Of course you'll need to look into training, and vets too. Good luck!

• well i just recently bought a puppy from a litter so heres what i went through. I looked at a couple puppies and i really liked the one. so there we told the seller we were interested in this puppy, so we signed a contract saying we can exchange the puppy for another one and she came with a health gurantee. Make sure the person you buy from has the following-clean enviroment (kept inside, proper food, no feces all over the place) -parents on site -well socialized (meaning: not scared, shaking, tail between legs)- the dog comes with a health gurantee and you can return the dog - the dog is healthy (i.e. pink gums, happy, no runny eyes, moist noise, and their tail is wagging) - you can return the dog for money back or another puppy - the parents had test's done before matingUsually if you meet the puppies when they are to young to take home you will have to wait until they are 8 weeks old, make sure you find a reputable breeder. It takes much time to find a good breeder but its worth it, happy hunting!!!

• Please do not get a pup from this irresponsible dog owner, who allowed their dog to have an OOPS litter. ADOPT one from a local shelter and save a dog's life. A shelter dog will come with shots, and for your money, under $100.00, the dog will also be spayed/neutered.

• Since the dog is free, all you really need to do is to determine whether you like the dog and let the owner know. If you can see the parents that's even better. Effectively you are rescuing a dog by taking one of these. If they are not taken by people like you, they may end up in a shelter. Once you get the dog, take him or her to the vet and get started on shots and worming. You will probably not get a health guarantee or contract. Since they are not making any money on the puppies, I probably would not put them in the same category as a back yard breeder. Your local laws will determine when you need to get the new puppy licensed, and please spay or neuter your dog at around 6 months.