What is involved in planning a litter?

I've read answers from dog breeders who say that they spend quite a bit of time planning and mapping out their next litter. What does this involve?Note: Please don't yell at me for being a BYB. I'm not in any way planning on breeding dogs. Just curious.

I've read answers from dog breeders who say that they spend quite a bit of time planning and mapping out their next litter. What does this involve?Note: Please don't yell at me for being a BYB. I'm not in any way planning on breeding dogs. Just curious....
    General Dog Discussions : What is involved in planning a litter?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is involved in planning a litter?

What is involved in planning a litter? General Dog Discussions
      I've read answers from dog breeders who say that they spend quite a bit of time planning and mapping out their next litter. What does this involve?Note: Please don't yell at me for being a BYB. I'm not in any way planning on breeding dogs. Just curious.

What is involved in planning a litter? General Dog Discussions
    • Nothing much involved in "planning" a litter. SImply let them mate, and boom -- a litter of puppies 2 months later. Provided with a good quiet nesting area for momma and her pups.

• Well, I first purchased good stock from reputable breeders in my area that had great bloodlines that complimented each other. I then had them all health tested (and passed) and finished them in AKC conformation shows (so they are now champions). After that I make sure that I find homes for the puppies before I even consider breeding (I usually try to find plenty of pet puppy homes and only a few show puppy homes). Then, I wait for my female to come into heat and have my vet check her out and make sure that she is okay to be bred. If he approves, I then find a suitable male that compliments her faults and have them artificially inseminated. It is a lot of work and, it is a lot harder than just putting two dogs together.

• it does take planning , you got to find the right male for your female , and before we allow ours to breed they are both checked to make sure there is no health problems to pass on and the female has to be checked to make sure she can carry the pups, it takes time and money to get good quality pups , and you don't just put 2 dogs together, and the female has to be vet monitored during the pregnancy and after and all pups need to vet checked also

• Its ALOT more than just putting a couple dogs together!Ditto what Frenchie said!A breeder can spend hours and hours just doing pedigree research. You have to think about what you want to improve and where you can go to get it. Say you would like to have better rears, you have to research a possible studs background and dogs hes sired to see if he is likely to give that to your pups. If his pedigree proves to not be strong in the traits you want to improve upon, you move on and look at others, just because he has the trait you want does not necessarily mean he will give it to his offspring, but if his parents/grandparents also had the trait, he is more likely to pass it on.