how do i stop my puppy from putting his foot in or standing in his food bowl?

have a 6 week old great dane pup, and when he eats he puts his paws in the food bowl and tips the bowl over. he does not eat the food that falls on the floor he still eats from the bowl

have a 6 week old great dane pup, and when he eats he puts his paws in the food bowl and tips the bowl over. he does not eat the food that falls on the floor he still eats from the bowl...
    General Dog Discussions : how do i stop my puppy from putting his foot in or standing in his food bowl?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• how do i stop my puppy from putting his foot in or standing in his food bowl?

how do i stop my puppy from putting his foot in or standing in his food bowl? General Dog Discussions
      have a 6 week old great dane pup, and when he eats he puts his paws in the food bowl and tips the bowl over. he does not eat the food that falls on the floor he still eats from the bowl

how do i stop my puppy from putting his foot in or standing in his food bowl? General Dog Discussions
    • You should consider purchasing a raised dog food bowl. You can get them at any pet supply store. Here's a nice one that you can get at Wal-mart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Molor-Products-EZ-Store-Raised-Dog-Bowl-Set-of-2-Dogs/12387892?sourceid=1500000000000003260550&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=12387892. It also has a place for storage of his kibble. They also have food bowl/water bowl combinations.

• all puppies do this, it is still in the process of being weened. he may be away from his mother already, but food is still very new to him. when puppies start being weened, they climb in and out of the food bowl, and get covered in it. im getting a new puppy in a few weeks and when i go to visit her, she is my next door neighbors dog's litter, she is only 3 weeks old but she is already starting to climb in the mother's food bowl. puppies will do this until they are at least 3 months old. so what you could try to do is take his paws out of the bowl when he starts to put them in it, and keep doing it until he realizes that his paws are meant to stay on the ground. hope this helps.

• Get one of those bowls where you fill it up and don't have to worry about itor you can tape down the bowlbut also puppies like to get a feel of what they're getting into it's like exploring I had a dog who had 3 litters and they all did that but we also got a taller dish where you can fill the inside with water and it weighs it down u can get it at petsmart

• What are you doing with a 6 week old pup? ! ! That baby should still be with its mama & litter mates.You are lucky that just a foot gets into the food bowl.I raised 6 orphaned puppies for day one of life & at about 6 weeks of age they would be covered with food. Off each other, in & out of the food pan, smear it here, smear it there until they were nothing but food with 4 legs. I had to rinse them off every time I fed them. Yours will grow out of it as mind did.As he gets older you may want to raise the level of his food dish. They sell raised food bowls for large breed dogs so they don't develop problems in their shoulders & back from the food bowl being so low.

• You really should elevate the bowl and feed in small amounts several times during the day.I see alot of Danes who die due to bloat, which most large breed owners are unaware of until it is to late.Bloat is the number one killer of large and deep-chested dogs such as Great Danes, German Shepherds and Dobermans. It is an emergency situation that could kill your pet in less than an hour. Bloat, formally called "Gastric Dilatation- Volvulus" (GDV) is a condition in which the stomach becomes overstretched. Bloat of the stomach is often related to excessive gas content but food and fluid can also be present. Stress and anxiety may also cause bloat to occur. Bloat is also referred to as torsion or gastric torsion and gastric dilation-volvulus when the stomach is also twisted.There are many symptoms related to bloat. You dog may attempt to vomit every five to 30 minutes, but is usually unsuccessful (nothing comes up or just foam and/or mucous comes up). This symptom seems to be the most common symptom. He may seem to be restless all the time, frequently changing positions and he doesn't act like his usual self. Upon notice of these early signs, try to put your ears to your dog's tummy. If there is lack of normal gurgling and digestive sounds in the stomach, and the abdomen may feel tight, then you have all the reasons to call your vet, your dog is in danger of bloat. Other symptoms such as coughing, drooling, whining, shallow breathing and rapid panting may also be present.Bloat cannot be treated at home. It is an emergency medical condition that requires the expertise of a veterinarian. Remember that bloat is a fatal condition that could kill your dog in a matter of minutes.To reduce the chance of bloat to occur, make sure that your dog doesn't gulp a lot of food, water or air. Prohibit rapid eating and divide the food into two or three times daily, instead of just one. Allow access to fresh water at all times, except before or after meals and right after heavy exercise. Exercise and other vigorous activities should be avoided before and right after eating. Diet [lays an important role in the prevention of this disease and in ensuring good health in general. Feed a high-quality diet with high-protein and enough amount of fiber. If feeding dry food, avoid foods that contain fat as one of the first four ingredient and foods that contain citric acid.Gastropexy is a recommended practice for Great Danes. It is a surgery in which the stomach is tacked to the right abdominal wall to prevent it from twisting in the future. It maybe done during surgery such as spaying and neutering but some veterinary surgeons will not do the operation if the actual sickness has not occurred.It is important for every owners to know their Great Danes well so that they will know when there is something wrong with their gentle giant.Goodluck with your puppy!

• place the bowl higher but so he can still eat from it or clap or make a loud noise every time he does it so he will get the connection that when he puts his foot in the bowl he will get scared or you can lightly pat him on the head or pull his leg out until he keeps his leg out hope this helps!

• great danes need adjustable bowls. www.sullyworld.co.uk/newforum is an amazing gret dane site they helped me with eveything i neeed for my own pup, food, walks and everything its international so feel free to go on!