What should I feed my dog to help her gain weight?

The vet says she's a little underweight. What's a good dog food that would help her to gain some? A specific brand and type would be helpful. I do not give her people food.She will not eat all the dry food I'm giving her now, so that's why I need to…

The vet says she's a little underweight. What's a good dog food that would help her to gain some? A specific brand and type would be helpful. I do not give her people food.She will not eat all the dry food I'm giving her now, so that's why I need to…...
    General Dog Discussions : What should I feed my dog to help her gain weight?...

• What should I feed my dog to help her gain weight?

What should I feed my dog to help her gain weight? General Dog Discussions
      The vet says she's a little underweight. What's a good dog food that would help her to gain some? A specific brand and type would be helpful. I do not give her people food.She will not eat all the dry food I'm giving her now, so that's why I need to try something different that she might like more.I have owned her for less than a month; she is a shelter rescue, about 2 years old.

What should I feed my dog to help her gain weight? General Dog Discussions
    • you dont need to give it a different type of food, you just have to feed it a few more cups than you are now. say if your feeding your dog one cup twice a day, then feed it 2 or 3 cups twice a day

• I agree with no people food. It would help if you indicated what she is currently eating. Why not simply increase the amount you feed her? As for brand, you will get a lot of different recommendations. Any high quality dog food will do; Innova, Wellness, Evo, Fromm, etc.

• To get an underweight dog to gain weight, the best idea is to go to three meals a day for a while. This is what we would do if underweight dogs come into rescue. If severely underweight then we would go to four meals a day. Any decent quality food should put weight on, but if you have had her all the time then I wonder why she has got underweight in the first place.

• First of all I'd find a new vet because he should have given you some suggestions lolHow old is the dog? Our cat was under weight a few months ago and our vet suggested wet food or kitten food because both have more calories. So I would try puppy food or wetfood. Only a little at a time to begin with because they extra fat can make it sick. Otherwise you for sure also need to buy a quality dog food, we have both our dog and cat onBlue buffalo...it's not top top of the line but it's not garbage either like a lot of cheaper foods.It cost a little more but it is worth it to me. My vet basically told me to look for meat being thefirst ingredient and no animal by products. Good luck!

• I would switch her to a grain-free food so that even if she eats the same amount of food, she will be getting more nutrients and protein out of it. Pay attention to the fat and protein analysis and go for something a bit higher to help her put on the weight. A puppy food might also be a good bet, since it's meant to help puppies put on weight in their first year. Find a top brand of food with an All Life Stages Formula or a puppy and adult formula and put her on the puppy formula to put on the weight, and then the adult version of maintenance..Some good grain free foods are Taste of the Wild, Innova EVO, Wellness Core and Blue Wilderness. Wellness core even has a "Lite" formula so you can put her on regular grain free Wellness Core to help her gain weight, and then switch her to the Lite formula to have her maintain her weight if she is a less active dog. Wellness and Blue also have puppy formula's (not grain free) that you could start will for weight gain.

• Look for a better quality dog food that has more calories. By feeding the same amount, the dog would be getting more calories just by switching food. There are lots of quality dog foods available, but do some research on what to buy. I wouldn't buy anything from the grocery store, Target, or Walmart. They basically sell junk. Petsmart sells mostly junk too, but there are maybe a few that are mediocre. I would look for a pet food place in your area that sell stuff like Orijen, EVO, Innova, Taste of the Wild. They will have higher quality foods to choose from. Talk to them about your dog and they can help you choose a dog food. My local pet food store has samples to try. My dog was eating the EVO red meat small bites, but I noticed he wasn't chewing his food. I was thinking about getting a larger kibble and they suggested getting the same food it regular size. Perfect solution because the food is the same just bigger. Sometimes when you switch food dogs don't want to eat it or get diarrhea, etc. Stay away from dog foods that have fillers that are not beneficial to your dog like corn, corn meal, rice, and soy. These things are not a natural part of a canine diet and are used because they are cheap. Look for something like potato, or sweet potato if they contain any fillers. When introducing the new food to your dog, you should start by incorporating into the dog food you feed now. Start by adding a 25% of the new and gradually increase it to help your dog adjust to the new food.