Heard that if u can feel a goldens ribs and not see them hes healthy and not overweight.This true?

My golden seems fat today,hes 16wks but has lots of excess skin on him.Id say its a part of growing is it?He was 22.5lbs at 13wks.Dont know his weight now.

Heard that if u can feel a goldens ribs and not see them hes healthy and not overweight.This true?

My golden seems fat today,hes 16wks but has lots of excess skin on him.Id say its a part of growing is it?He was 22.5lbs at 13wks.Dont know his weight now....
    General Dog Discussions : Heard that if u can feel a goldens ribs and not see them hes healthy and not overweight.This true?...

• Heard that if u can feel a goldens ribs and not see them hes healthy and not overweight.This true?

Heard that if u can feel a goldens ribs and not see them hes healthy and not overweight.This true? General Dog Discussions
      My golden seems fat today,hes 16wks but has lots of excess skin on him.Id say its a part of growing is it?He was 22.5lbs at 13wks.Dont know his weight now.

Heard that if u can feel a goldens ribs and not see them hes healthy and not overweight.This true? General Dog Discussions
    • If his belly looks swollen he could have worms, or could be eating meals that are too big. I would not assess body condition before 8-12 months, because he is still growing and may grow in random awkward phases.

• excess skin is ok. that doesnt mean your pup is fat. if you can BARELY see the ribs but you can still slightly feel them ,then your dog is a good weight. puppys grow FAST when he gets his other vaccines then you should check his weight @ the vets office.

• The excess skin is room to grow.If you have concerns about your dog being overweight, please speak to your vet. Generally you should be able to feel the dogs ribs, but not see them. If you can;t feel them then your puppy is carrying excess fat. It is better for a puppy to be slightly underweight or lean rather than overweight or chunky. This is even more improtant for dogs like Goldens who may develop hip problems.... excess weight can worsen this.

• Yeah you can check that way, but here is a better way! Look down at the dog, notice the figure "8" shape! You want to stick with that! If the "8" is looking oval, dog is getting fat. If the "8" is narrow, dog is too thin. But don't sweat it too much!Remember fat owners have fat dogs!!!

• The pup is still growing id be thinking hes ok... a dog is fat when you can tell by looking at it. Because hes so young id jus leave him and make sure you dont over feed him. Remember a walk a day keeps the vet away!!!! Good Luck