Am I better off getting a Border Collie Puppy or a full grown?

I want to get a Border Collie but I don't know if I should get a grown one or adopt one as a puppy.

I want to get a Border Collie but I don't know if I should get a grown one or adopt one as a puppy....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Am I better off getting a Border Collie Puppy or a full grown?...

• Am I better off getting a Border Collie Puppy or a full grown?

Am I better off getting a Border Collie Puppy or a full grown? Dog Breed Discussions
      I want to get a Border Collie but I don't know if I should get a grown one or adopt one as a puppy.

Am I better off getting a Border Collie Puppy or a full grown? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Borders are extremely intelligent, so it might be easier if you adopt a puppy, so they are easier to train. However, they're energy level will increase as they grow and they need a job. I guess it might be fine if you adopt an well behaved adult...

• You should adopt a Border Collie Puppy first of all because thats one less puppy out of the shelters.Second, the dog if you get it full grown will not like you because if you get to close to an adult it will die sooner and you will cry your ass off.A puppy is better because he/she will grow up with you and an old dog will just lie around and be no fun.But it depends on its age.

• it would be easier to train if it was a puppy but as an adult at least it would be potty and leash trained. it depends how hard you're willin to workalso adults in shelters have a lower chance of gettin adopted. everyone goes for the puppies lots of old dogs that go into shelters end up euthanized b/c no one will adopt them. i consider adopting an adult dog like rescuin it. its sort of the same for puppies but if you dont get a puppy there are plenty of ppl who will

• border collies r relay smart i would get a puppy because u can train him how u want and if it is not cage trained u can teach him how to not wine in the cage and it will help with not going pottey in the house alot and your own tricks hope that helped :)

• That is very tricky. I presume you know how much hard work a border collie is? They cannot be left sitting at home like other breeds will often tolerate. You will need to be involved in an activity like agility.Possibly an adult that you could spend some time with would be better. Go to your shelter or a specific BC rescue and ask to walk the dogs for about a week then you will gain an idea. The reason i am saying an adult is that you will be aware of its traits. With a puppy you could end up with a dog that has a strong eye - a common BC trait, which can be nightmares for pet owners and lead to nipping and biting. To see if you are ready for a dog and general infohttp://www.teachingpuppies.com/am-i-ready-for-a-new-puppy

• A lot of it depends on your lifestyle - puppies take a lot of time, energy, socialization, and training. It takes a year or more before you can really start enjoying your dog. But of course it is wonderful to watch a dog grow from a tiny baby.The bonus of an adult is that you can already tell a lot about its personality. Most of them have had some basic training and are housebroken. Is it laid back or active? Loves kids? Size? You will also know if it has any health problems (one of mine, adopted from the pound as a puppy, went blind when she was about a year old due to a genetic eye disorder).I've adopted dogs both as adults and puppies, from breeders and shelters. I have three, and they compete in obedience and agility as well as being therapy dogs. They are all super pets, sociable and well trained, they love me and I love them.