What to consider when owning a dog?

I want to learn more about becoming a dog owner. What are expected? Is Registering and Licensing a dog the same thing? Are certain dogs cost more than others? Any other info would be useful since this is the first time considering to owning a dog.

I want to learn more about becoming a dog owner. What are expected? Is Registering and Licensing a dog the same thing? Are certain dogs cost more than others? Any other info would be useful since this is the first time considering to owning a dog....
    General Dog Discussions : What to consider when owning a dog?...

• What to consider when owning a dog?

What to consider when owning a dog? General Dog Discussions
      I want to learn more about becoming a dog owner. What are expected? Is Registering and Licensing a dog the same thing? Are certain dogs cost more than others? Any other info would be useful since this is the first time considering to owning a dog.

What to consider when owning a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • There are many things to consider when getting a dog. Do you have time to train one? Do you have kids? Are you going to walk him/her? Will you be able to afford basic vet care ( shots, ect ) and any emergency medical issues that arise? Small dog or large dog? Is the dog going to be left alone during the day? These questions need to be answered before you get a dog.Purebred dogs have more medical issues than mixed breeds, and their temperments are questionable. If you have young children a small dog is probably not the best fit. Try going to a shelter. They will help you pick a good dog and will give you advice on how to care for it. As a plus, you are saving a life and have most if not all vet care done. They are usually reasonable on fees, as they are not looking to make money, where breeders are usually in it to make a quick buck.

• Finances and time are probably the two largest most pragmatic things to consider. There's the adoption/purchase fee (often this includes spay/neuter and immunization) , liscense fee (cheaper for altered dogs), food, bedding/crate, toys/chews, leash, collar/harness, bowls, flea and tick preventative, brush/shampoo, ect. It can all add up very quickly, especially if purchasing everything all at once as a brand new dog owner. Not to mention emergency and unplanned medical emergencies; tripped on a stick and cut themselves, scrapped their pads, stung by a bee, allergies, ect. You also need to understand how much time a dog requires, you may have spent a tiring day at work and/or school but they spent all day sitting around the house. So now that you are home they are ready and raring to go go go! A few tips:~ "A tired dog is a good dog" This is something to live by! If you provide enough excersise and stimulation to leave them tired at home they will be far less likely to become destructive. ~ Always provide plenty of appropriate chews to help discourage them from every starting on the innapropriate, ie your shoes, your couch, your coffee table, ect! I offer a variety including ligaments, antlers, nylabone, Kong and various other edible treats.~Training! The biggest reason dogs are given up is bad behavior, and so much of it can be avoided by excersie and training. A well behaved dog is the envy of everyone and a joy to be around. Don't forget mental stimulation can often be more rewarding than just simple physical excersise.I honestly think owning a dog is one of the most rewarding things you can do, but only if you're ready. You don't want to become resentful of the time they take or the things they destroy because you weren't prepared. Think about the time and space you have and keep this in mind when choosing your companion. You may have the space for a small Jack Russell Terrior, but do you have the time for such an intense high energy dog? Do you have the time, energy and experience for a highly intelligent breed like a Siberian Husky or Shiba Inu? And a big dogs often comes with big messes. My little 30 lb adoptee chewed up the corner of a floorboard, annoying but fairly minor. My moms Great Dane however ripped out several bushes and small trees in the backyard... You'll also want to consider your areas breed laws, many places have restrictions on the breeds accepted; if you rent you may have breed or weight restirctions. Many cities have breed specific legislations as well. You also want to look into your home insurance, many companies are starting to have restrictions on breeds.Yes some breeds can be more expensive than others, certain breeds are more predisposed to certain illnesses (hip dysplasia, luxurating platelas, cataracts, cancer ect), small breeds are prone to dental issues, large breeds are prone to joint problems. If you choose to go to a breeder, do some research on them; see were the puppies and adults live, meet the parents, ask lots of questions; you don't want to be taken by a Back Yard Breeder and end up with a sickly pup you paid and arm and a leg for. Often adopting a mixed breed can help avoid many of the more common genetic issues, but they also come with their own unknown past, both genetic and behavioral.Check out Petfinder.com, not only is it a great source to search adoptable dogs of all ages in the search field you choose, it's also are full of articles about dogs, dog care and making the right choice that are great for a begginner.Good Luck!

• What to consider is that dogs are an ongoing cost and require time.Time to trainTime to exerciseTime to chill Time to groomCosts for license/registration ( these are, from what I know, are the same thing. You pay a fee, get a tag and put it on the collar. This is to be done every single year. Where I live, registering is the same as licensing your dog in canada/america/UK, though as another has stated, they are obviously different to one another depending on where it is you live.)Costs for foodCosts for toysCosts for vet billsCosts for accessories such as leashes,collars, grooming items, food/water bowl.Costs for professional grooming if neededCosts for things such as dog sport clubs (optional; though really should be required to some breeds)all of those factors continue our through that dogs whole entire lifespan of 10 - 15 or so years.Dont get a pup from the pet shop - those pups come from puppymills/backyard breeders who take no consideration in breeding genetically healthy and mentally stable puppies. Their main goal is to keep pumping out puppies in disgusting conditions because to them, dogs are nothing but ATM machines.If wanting to know how to tell a backyard breeder from a reputable breeder, here is a good link to some comparisons between the two.:http://www.boxermap.com/reputablebreeder.htmlIf considering adopting, take into consideration that the likely hood those dogs were to of been the outcome of irresponsible breeders ( backyard breeders/puppy mills) is high considering reputable breeders do not breed "pet only" mixes ( it is allowable to breed mixes for working purposes - but even then, there is still a lot more that goes into it than throwing an intact male in with an in heat b!tch). So it would be wise to read up on (say for example,a Pug/Cavalier mix) both the breeds within the mix and then thoroughly get to know the genetic health issues surrounding the two breeds. The same applies to pure breeds too within the shelter *just* to get to know of what is a possibility - I am not saying shelter dogs all suffer health issues, not many seem to, but it is better to know and be prepared of what *COULD* be possible.A badly bred dog that is riddled with genetic issues can be the most expensive; also, usually the larger the dog the higher the expenses in food/vet bills - though that is why you thoroughly look into your financial situation to see how much you can dish out in cash a week/month.

• I won't say much here, as I think it's been covered.Please make sure you have the financial ability to take a sick dog to the vet. This can sometimes cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. Dogs do need medical treatment from time to time. Also, make sure you have the time and money to train a dog. It's very important and will make life with the dog much more pleasant for both of you.I would personally get a dog from a shelter or rescue that needs a home. It's good that you are asking questions. Sounds like you will be a responsible owner.

• Registering and licensing are not the same thing. Usually, you register a purebred dog with a kennel club, you get a pedigree, your dogs own family tree of sorts.Licensing is when you get a dog license from your city or town. It's usually required to show proof of rabies vaccine. There is always a fee, but it can be different from town to town. Yes, some dogs do cost more than others. A well bred purebred dog will cost more than a shelter dog, in terms of original purchase. A rare breed will cost more than a well-bred purebred dog. There are some breeds that only have 1 or 2 in a litter, their pups will cost more than a breed that can have 8 or 10 pups in a litter.As for the general ownership of a dog, it's expected that you have the time and energy to put into dog ownership. You have the time to give your dog the exercise that particular dog needs. All dogs need training and socialization. It's expected that you do that.It's also important that you do the research into various breeds to see what is a good fit for you and your lifestyle. If your active and like to jog, hike etc. then you get an active breed. If your a couch potato, then you get a dog that's a bit lazy.If breed isn't important that visit your local shelter, there are plenty of dogs that need homes.