How to find out if your dog really does have a microchip in place? Where do you register it?

I was checking my beagles papers the other day and saw that he has a microchip #. I want to find out if this is actually true- and where I could go to find out if he has one? Also, if he does have a microchip, do I register it online just in case he…

How to find out if your dog really does have a microchip in place? Where do you register it?

I was checking my beagles papers the other day and saw that he has a microchip #. I want to find out if this is actually true- and where I could go to find out if he has one? Also, if he does have a microchip, do I register it online just in case he…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to find out if your dog really does have a microchip in place? Where do you register it?...

• How to find out if your dog really does have a microchip in place? Where do you register it?

How to find out if your dog really does have a microchip in place? Where do you register it? General Dog Discussions
      I was checking my beagles papers the other day and saw that he has a microchip #. I want to find out if this is actually true- and where I could go to find out if he has one? Also, if he does have a microchip, do I register it online just in case he gets lost? What sites? If my puppy ever got lost, can they find where he is?

How to find out if your dog really does have a microchip in place? Where do you register it? General Dog Discussions
    • Microchips are not GPS systems. If your dog is found, he can be scanned to see who his ower is. He needs to be FOUND first. Does the number have any accompaning company name? Avid and Home Again are the most common I see. If you can find out what company, call them.

• Your vet or humane society should be able to check for a microchip. If he does have one, you can register it with the company that makes the chip or with HomeAgain, which will register any company's microchip.

• your vet or your local shelter can scan him for you to tell you if its there. you'll have to call the number for the chip maker (they'll get that when its scanned) and update the info. you'll probably have to send them proof of ownership if he was someone else's and now you have him (so they dont think you stole the dog)

• All you have to do is take him to the vet and they can scan the back of his neck to find out! All my animals are equiped with home again and the vet scans them everytime I take them for there check ups!

• You can take him to any vet or shelter to get scanned. It takes seconds. 24petwatch.com is website where you can register free. But look at his papers, he may already be registered. If he got lost and showed up at a shelter, vet, or rescue they would scan and be able to find out who he is. But it isnt a GPS system and if someone else takes him, things may not turn out good unless they take him in to get him scaned. Good luck

• The person you bought the dog from should have given you a sticker with the micro-ship number on it when she was giving you thr papers (If she did get chip fitted then she should have a not of this). If not then take your dog to the vet, they will scan him to see if anything shows up.. It could be in the neck, ear, etcIf they find the chip then they will have a record of your dogs number, they should give you a note of the number too. If they can't find anything you can always get one put in, I don't think it's too costly although it's unfair you have to pay. I would call the person you bought the dog from first just incase he/she have forgotten to give this to you... :)

• Your local pound/dog shelter can usually scan your dog for free other than that a vet would be my suggestion. You can also get the relevant papers to register your dog from either of these places.

• Chips are generally inserted in the dogs back..between it's shoulder blades. It is under the skin so you will not be able to feel for it. But a vet or animal shelter will have the scanner. Also you need to register Your info so that if the pet becomes lost, they can contact you and not the breeder.So once the vet finds out what brand the chip is, then you call that company and update the info. You can also ask the breeder.