People who are experienced with dogs, what the heck is a microchip and a tattoo?

I was wondering because my puppy lost his tag and I bet if I buy him another one, he will do the same thing.

People who are experienced with dogs, what the heck is a microchip and a tattoo?

I was wondering because my puppy lost his tag and I bet if I buy him another one, he will do the same thing....
    General Dog Discussions : People who are experienced with dogs, what the heck is a microchip and a tattoo?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• People who are experienced with dogs, what the heck is a microchip and a tattoo?

People who are experienced with dogs, what the heck is a microchip and a tattoo? General Dog Discussions
      I was wondering because my puppy lost his tag and I bet if I buy him another one, he will do the same thing.

People who are experienced with dogs, what the heck is a microchip and a tattoo? General Dog Discussions
    • A tattoo is a mark that is made by permanently dyeing the skin. Usually it is a combination of letters and numbers that uniquely identify your dog, and most of the time it is done inside one ear. The best time to do it is when your pup is to be neutered, since he will already be under anaesthesia. Most vets do it for a small fee in addition to the neutering fee, usually something between 5 and 10 dollars extra.On its own the tattoo is useless, but when you register your dog for its municipal dog licence the information will be included in the file so they can trace him back to you even if he's not wearing a collar. It also encourages anyone who finds your lost dog to search for an owner, since someone who goes to the trouble of getting their dog tattooed usually cares about getting him back when he's lost.A microchip costs more but it contains more information. It is a small computer chip (about the size of a grain of rice) that contains information about the owner and is inserted under the dog's skin, usually at the base of the neck. When a special microchip reader is held near that area, it provides a unique identification number which is linked to a database containing all necessary information about the dog and its owner.Ideally the dog should have both, because the tattoo doesn't lead directly to the owner, and the microchip is invisible to the eye and there might not be a reader handy.If the dog is exceptionally valuable, some people add to the microchip a chip that can be read via Global Positioning system, so that the dog's exact location can be tracked via satellite. Expensive. Usually a tag & tattoo & chip are all you need.About losing the tag: I find that the ring that comes with most tags is way too flimsy to be useful. Go to a place where they cut keys and buy the smallest key ring you can find. They are much, much sturdier than the ones that come with the tags. Even since I've been doing this my dogs have not lost any tags.

• Avoiding the technobabble, a microchip is a teeny tiny tracking device embedded in your dog's ear. Really teeny tiny. Once it's there, it stays there. If your pooch runs away, you call the microchip company, they run a search, and they can tell you the location of your dog.

• a tayto is a mark that sibolises they have been fixed or so a microchip is a chip they put in the dog incase it gets lost and the vet peeps find it they use that to give info so they can return it

• A tattoo is usually put in the ear, usually numbers to identify the dog or a microchip is injected under the skin in his neck and then can be scanned to identify the animal. They are great and is virtually painless. You just have to remember to keep info up to date if you move or change phone numbers. Bye the way, a chip is not an auto locator device as another person claims. But if the dog is found and taken to a vet, he can be scanned, and the company called and the dog is then matched with the info on file. It is not injected into the ear, it is the neck or between the shoulder blades. How do I know, my dogs are microchipped.

• A microchip is a tiny electronic device placed under the dog's skin. Its like a GPS in your car and you can track your dogs location if he gets lost. A tattoo is a tattoo, it will have your name and address on it, so if your puppy gets lost people will know where to return it. Go for the microchip.

• A microchip is inbedded in the scruff of his neck. Usually an out patient procedures and if he gets lost they will scan him first to see if he has an owner.The microchip will contain, Name, Address, Phonehttp://avidmicrochip.com/

• A micro-chip is placed under the skin, and isn't likely to help unless 1-you have it registered, and 2- when he is found, whoever finds him takes him to a place where they can track the chip....not very likely to happen. A tattoo is exactly what you think, most get them right inside the ear. That way, you have a way of identifying the dog if lost or stolen and luck up enough to find him.

• A microchip is a little (about the size of a grain of rice) chip ejected by needle into your dog. There is only one or two places that they can be injected and every pound/shelter/vet clinic has a scanner so if they find a stray dog, they just run the little scanner over the spots that the chip would be. Some are like the GPS in your car, so if you dog gets loose you just have to call the vet/company and tell them your chip number and they will find the dog for you. If the dog has a chip the owner is called and you are guaranteed your puppy back :) Most shelters let you bring your dog in and get them microchiped for little or no fee.I have never heard of 'tattoo' but im sure its something similar to identify your pet if it gets away

• A microchip is inserted under the skin and contains data about who owns the animal. The chip itself is about the size of a grain of rice and it is usually inserted between the shoulder blades. It's a permanent thing but doesn't cause the dog any pain. If you're interested in getting your dog microchipped then speak to your vet about it.

• a microchip is about the size of a grain of rice and they implant it in the neck of your dog. if he ever gets lost, the animal shelter or vets office that finds him can scan it and return him to you. a tattoo works the same way, but i would think the microchips would be better b/c you wont have to shave your dog.

• A micrchip is a small electric tag, about the size of a grain of rice, that is implanted under your dog's skin for ID purposes. There are at least a couple of brands, so check around and make sure you choose one that is compatible and can be "read" by all the readers at shelters and vets. Then you register your dog with Home again or one of the other registries and should your dog get lost, it can be checked for microchips and hopefully returned to you.A tattoo is usually put on the inside of your dog's thigh or the abdomen where the hair is thinnest. It is a number of your choice or your name or whatever you want. I believe there is also a reigstry for that, but don't know for sure. Shelters and animals controls are supposed to routinely check for tattoos and microchips so that dogs can be returned to their owners.Good luck.

• A microchip is basically like a small id tag that is injected right between the dogs shoulder blades. That id tag holds information such as your dogs id # and who he/she belongs to and where he lives. Its better to have in addition with tags. And tattoo is basically your social security number tattooed on the dogs stomach or inner hind leg. This website might give you some more info http://bullmastiffinfo.tripod.com/chips.html.Hope this info helps!

• a microchip is a shot that gets inserted into the dog's shoulder blade. it only hurts them for a second. then when they are lost, all the pet places and vets are alerted and if someone or someplace finds ur dog, the dog gets scanned for the chip and when they have it they no its ur dog, so u get alerted right away. a tatto helps too, but isnt as efficient because it can be hard to read. my dog has a chip a tattoo and tags. i would suggest the same because tags r what people look for first. if someone finds ur pup they may not think of scanning for a chip or looking for a tattoo. and if u secure the tags onto a collar that ur dog wears all the time, it wont get lost. if ur still worried about loosing ur tags, u can have a basket by the front door with dog stuff in it like a leash and toys, and u can put the collar in there when ur dog isnt wearing it.

• A microchip is a small chip injected into your dog so that when a microchip reader scans your lost dog, your phone number and other info will come up on the reader so that they can return him to you. The tattoo is a mark made on your dog with your information on it if he gets lost.

• A microchip is a small chip that is injected under the skin on the back of the dog's neck that uniquely identifies each animal and the details are placed in a system. All shelters now routinely scan the dog when found to see if it has a chip, they then enter the number into the system and are able to return your dog. It's a great idea if your puppy loses tags and it's painless.Tattoos came before chips and they tattoo an id number into the dogs ear which again identifies it.

• a tatoo is a marking that is done like a regular tatoo an is made in order to help pounds identify the owner so the pound can give the dog to him/her. A microchip is inserted into a dog or cat and is used to do the same thing. it is just easier and both a tatoo and a microchip are both scanned with machines that tell the vet or pound the shots and owner's name and the history of the dog. -hope I helped!

• A tattoo is just that, a tattoo usually in the dog's ear or around the groin area.A microchip is the size of a small pill and contains a pincode, the microchip is injected into the dogs shoulder/neck area.Both are numbers that identify your dog. The number is registered in a national/international database that lists the owner's name and address. If your dog gets lost and loses his tag, the numbers are permanent markers of identification, the tattoo is immediately visible the chip needs to be scanned with a handheld scanner (much like what happens in the supermarket). You can report your dog missing using this number and people who find the dog can see where he belongs by using the number.There are advantages and disadvantages of both. The tattoo is more painful to the dog and can fade or be damaged (if the dog gets into a fight), but it is immediately visible so that people know that the dog is registered. The chip is generally better, but it can start to wander inside the body, so it's a good idea to have your vet scan it once in a while to see that it's in position and functioning, also you can't see on a dog if it's chipped or not.Where I live it's obligatory to registrer your dog and have it either tattooed or chipped. My first dog was tattooed (before the microchip age), my next dog will be chipped already when I get her from the breeder.

• They are ways to ensure recovery of your dog and prove it's yours if the dog is lost without his tags. The microchip is implanted in the dog and can be linked with your name and address so you can be contacted if your dog is lost or stolen. Keep in mind that many pounds don't bother to check for microchips so the tattoo is a visual way to easily see that your dog is owned by someone else. It's also easy for people to be on the lookout for a dog with a tattoo, with chips the person must have a reader to be able to see the number. Both are a good idea to ensure your dog is never permanently lost and believe me, i've seen frantic email from too many people that have lost their dog or had it stolen, and it's truly heartbreaking.