how can I clip my dogs nails?

He is a 20 lb terrier and has to be put under by my vet.<br /> which is costly and risky. Costs about $55.00 every 4/5 months.<br />

He is a 20 lb terrier and has to be put under by my vet.<br /> which is costly and risky. Costs about $55.00 every 4/5 months.<br /> ...
    General Dog Discussions : how can I clip my dogs nails?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• how can I clip my dogs nails?

how can I clip my dogs nails? General Dog Discussions
      He is a 20 lb terrier and has to be put under by my vet.<br />
      which is costly and risky. Costs about $55.00 every 4/5 months.<br />

how can I clip my dogs nails? General Dog Discussions
    • I HAVE 3 LABS FROM 85LBS TO 130LBS, AND I'VE FOUND THE BEST AND SAFEST WAY IS TO USE MY DREMEL WITH A SANDPAPER DRUM ON THE NAILS. IF YOUR DOG BITES MAYBE YOU CAN USE A MUZZLE WHILE YOU DO THIS. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A DREMEL YOU CAN PROBABLY GET ONE FOR LESS THAN THE COST OF CLIPPING

• First of all, you should make nail clipping a good moment for him. So, at first, just lift him on a table, and take a look at his paws. (be careful not to drop him). If he lets you handle his paws, tell him he is a good boy and give him treats. Repeat until this goes well. <br />
      <br />
      Gradually, move towards actual clipping. For example, just clip one nail, and give lots of treats. <br />
      <br />
      Some people have found out, that nail file works much better than nail clippers. It is easier to do this step-by-step approach with a nail file, and the dog might not be afraid of file, even if he dislikes nail clippers. <br />
      <br />
      If the dog walks enough on rough terrain like asphalt, you need to clip nails less often. (except those thumps in forelegs)<br />
      <br />
      Remember, baby steps! Do not try to clip nails too early. It may take months!