Any tricks to clip my dogs nails?

Hi there,<br /> <br /> Does anyone have any tips I don't know about for clipping dogs nails?<br /> I feel like I have tried everything. I have a rat terrier mix and she just hates having her nails clipped.She is otherwise a very good dog.<br /> I have…

Hi there,<br /> <br /> Does anyone have any tips I don't know about for clipping dogs nails?<br /> I feel like I have tried everything. I have a rat terrier mix and she just hates having her nails clipped.She is otherwise a very good dog.<br /> I have…...
    General Dog Discussions : Any tricks to clip my dogs nails?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Any tricks to clip my dogs nails?

Any tricks to clip my dogs nails? General Dog Discussions
      Hi there,<br />
      <br />
      Does anyone have any tips I don't know about for clipping dogs nails?<br />
      I feel like I have tried everything. I have a rat terrier mix and she just hates having her nails clipped.She is otherwise a very good dog.<br />
      I have tried distracting her with treats, hiding the clippers from her view while I try and clip. Having my husband hold her while I do it, or wraping her in a towel, but she just won't stay still. <br />
      She always manages to get away or she makes this horrible howling noise and won't keep her paws still.<br />
      I think maybe when she was a puppy someone cliped her nails badly and hurt her, thats the only reason I can think of for her phobia.<br />
      I try to take charge and make her feel comfortable but no luck!<br />
      <br />
      Anyway before I give up again and pay $15 at the groomers for clipping ,any advice?<br />
      <br />
      Thank you!<br />
      Hayley<br />

Any tricks to clip my dogs nails? General Dog Discussions
    • Call your local vet and have them clip her nails..... they have special things to do it with, and are more professional, no offense! You can also take her for more walks because the sidewalk will trim down her nails, like a nail file for us.<br />
      <br />
      Good luck=)

• http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_nails.aspx<br />
      Grinding prevent cracking and cutting into the vein, too<br />
      When cutting dark colored nails, cut in small peices, to prevent cutting into the vein.<br />
      <br />
      hope i helped

• I go to petsmart, But when I have tio do it my self I sit on my gir clip one end then Then switch and do the other end, Trying to clip her front paws is the worst, cause she head buts me... Bad girl- But I love her and have to do it.. I think she had a problem at petsmart too cause last time shet wouldn't go in to save her life- she hates that store- not sure why

• You could get a muzzle to put on her while you are clipping the nails so she can't nip you and have you husband at the same time hold her.<br />
      Another thing to try is those trimming tables with the bar above it and there is this harness thing which you attach to the bar and put your dog into and it hangs there and cannot get at you while you are clipping it. If you don't have a table like that then you can get a bar and attach it to something so you can hang the harness from there.<br />
      My mum is a dog groomer and recommended it to her friend who has the same problem and i think it has worked.<br />
      <br />
      Hope this helps.

• well I have the same problem with my dog and I took her to the groomers and payed to have it done many times and after awile we figured out they wenrt really cutting her nails they were just cheating us out of money. we asked them about it an they sayed she tryed to bite them.......... so dont trust the groomers

• My Weim has the same problems, well did. At 8 weeks I took her to get her nails clipped and they cut her quick, from then on she refused to allow me to clip her nails, I mean it got really bad should would fight us terribly. When I had the vet do it it would sound like they were performing surgery on her without anesthetic.<br />
      <br />
      What we ended up doing was following a method Cesar Millan used on a Vizla. He lay the dog on it's side, covered the dog with a blanket so the dog couldn't see and he massaged the dog from head to tail and while he was doing that the owner clipped the dogs nails. When the dog struggled they stopped and Cesar continued to massage the dog, then allowed her to continue once the dog settled down.<br />
      <br />
      When she was finished Cesar grabbed the dog and jumped in the pool with him as a reward. Best thing for you to do is tire the dog out first I mean tire her out, then follow the same method above. It happened to work with my dog, now I use the dremmel tool to file her nails down, clipping can be painful and a little unpleasant. Maybe your dog would work better with a dremmel tool you can get them a lot shorter and it doesn't hurt them like clipping does. <br />
      <br />
      My dog will pull her feet away while dremmeling but I don't need three people to hold her while I do it, I usually end up feeding a bunch of treats while I'm doing it.<br />
      <br />
      Cover her head that way she can't see what's going on and give her a massage to relax her as you do it.<br />
      <br />
      Good luck