Get my dogs nails clipped?

The last time I took my dog to the groomers to get her nails done. I watched them from a distance through the window and boy my dog was super excited just wanted to play so I walked into the room and told her to chill she immediately stopped moving and…

The last time I took my dog to the groomers to get her nails done. I watched them from a distance through the window and boy my dog was super excited just wanted to play so I walked into the room and told her to chill she immediately stopped moving and…...
    General Dog Discussions : Get my dogs nails clipped?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Get my dogs nails clipped?

Get my dogs nails clipped? General Dog Discussions
      The last time I took my dog to the groomers to get her nails done. I watched them from a distance through the window and boy my dog was super excited just wanted to play so I walked into the room and told her to chill she immediately stopped moving and the lady told me it was worse for me to be in there and to leave. So I did, I will never go to this groomer again she ended up cutting some of her nail to short and her paw she was bleeding for days and had to go to the vet. Now she is terrified of a dremel, she was not before, and all groomers. So I decided since I am the one she sits still for and has no problem with me touching her paws should I just clip her nails? What brand and type of dog nail clippers should I get? About how much do they cost? She will not let me use a dremel but she will let me use an old fashion nail file is that ok to use on dogs nails?<br />
      I have tried other groomers since then but she is way to scared I hate to have her terrified to get groomed.<br />
      My dog has clear/off white nail and when I say the groomer cut her nail short I mean short like almost completely off it was horrible.<br />

Get my dogs nails clipped? General Dog Discussions
    • You could go to Wal-Mart and buy a nail trimmer for dogs.It's only $7.00.Don't spend your money on pedi-paws.I bought it and my dog never trusted with her nails again.It makes a really disturbing sound and the sound is loud.You could use a nail file,you just can't use a regular nail clipper.

• That's crazy to say you will never go to the groomers again. It's very common to have a dog get it's nail too short. You could have returned to the groomer when you realized you couldn't get the bleeding to stop so they could cauterize it for you. Also, most every groomer will agree that it is easier to work with a dog without the owner standing nearby. By you deciding to clip your dogs nails yourself, you're only setting yourself up for a situation you had already with a bleeding nail, Only you have no experience like a groomer does in stopping the bleeding. I suggest if you really want to do it yourself, be prepared. By a blood clotting product made for dog nails. Watch a video online too. You can use an old fashion nail file, but it will take you forever. I suggest nail clippers that aren't the cheapest, go for quality.

• Hey !<br />
      <br />
      Jeez That Lady Was Bi-atch :P !<br />
      <br />
      Well You Should Get Special Dog Clippers,Or Even Rabbit Clippers :)<br />
      <br />
      Theyre Like Proper Scissors But Have A Hole Near The End Of The Scissors<br />
      <br />
      You Can Em Get Off Ebay Really Cheap<br />
      <br />
      When You Are Cutting The Nails You Should Leave A Bit Of Distance From The Pink Bit,This Is Where The Blood Supply Is Located ! The Dog Groomer Must Have Been So Careless As To Cutting Whatever She Could Find !<br />
      <br />
      If Your Dog Has Black Nails This Is Gonna Be a Tad Bit Harder ! And It Wouldnt Have Nessacarily Been The Dog Groomers Fault She Cut Into It !<br />
      <br />
      If You Put The Nail At An Angle You Should Be Able To See The Outline Of Where The Blood Supply Stops :)<br />
      <br />
      Hope I Helped :)<br />
      <br />
      x x x

• Before you start clipping a dogs nail, you need to read up on how to cut them properly. Dogs have blood veins that run to there nails and the groomer might have nipped them on accident. Also if you are going to use a dremel you need to know that dogs nails can heat up, and cause pain for the dog. Please be careful and make sure you look into it, before clipping.

• I have a lab and she lets me cut her nails. If her nails are light colored it's easy to see where the cuticle starts so you know where to cut. If they have black nails you can't see so there is a chance you could cut her cuticle and make her bleed. I got the clippers from walmart and they came with a file so I don't even use a drimmel. My vet asked me to be in the room when they cut her nails as a puppy. Hope that helps.