clipping toe nails???????????????

I've been having my vet clip my Huskys toe nails. But he told me I could do this on my own. Last time I tried I cut the nail to short and the toe started to bleed. I'm scared of doing the same thing to my husky. I dont wont to hurt my dog. What…

I've been having my vet clip my Huskys toe nails. But he told me I could do this on my own. Last time I tried I cut the nail to short and the toe started to bleed. I'm scared of doing the same thing to my husky. I dont wont to hurt my dog. What…...
    General Dog Discussions : clipping toe nails???????????????...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• clipping toe nails???????????????

clipping toe nails??????????????? General Dog Discussions
      I've been having my vet clip my Huskys toe nails. But he told me I could do this on my own. Last time I tried I cut the nail to short and the toe started to bleed. I'm scared of doing the same thing to my husky. I dont wont to hurt my dog. What should I do?<br />

clipping toe nails??????????????? General Dog Discussions
    • If you cut one or two too short then oh well, it happens.. the more you do it the better you will know your dogs nails and it will be easier. If you can have your dog lay on its back so that legs are up, you can see the underside of the nail and find where the quick starts. Cut just before the quick and you should be fine. Its simple and nessesary. Good luck!

• Its possible to clip your dogs nails. Just remember you need a bright area to do it, make sure your dog doesn't struggle. And the most important thing is....look at the dogs nail. There will be a point that its red/ pinkish.. And another point that its white. Always remember never ever cut at the pinkish portions cos thats where the blood and nerves are. If you are afraid to do it, bring him to the vet. Or you can actually cut the nails very carefully. Remember only cut the white portion. :)

• Either ask a groomer or vet to show you the way to do it correctly. If it is a white nail, you can see the quick from the side of the nail. If it is black, you start slowly from the tip of the nail. It will be black on the outside and white on the inside. Keep tipping the nail a little at a time til you come to a black dot in the middle of the nail. Stop. That is the quick. It will look like a target, black outside, white inside, black dot in middle. Good luck!

• Sadly it happens. Especially with dogs that have thick black nails. Just cut about an 1/8 of an inch at a time and get a styptic pencil from the pet store where they keep the nail cutters or in the grocery store where they keep the mens shaving supplies. It will stop the bleeding immediately.

• Well when you start cutting the nails start by cutting very little off the nail until you are comforable cutting them and always have a thing of Quick Stop there with you...http://www.petco.com/product/2765/Four-Paws-Quick-Blood-Stopper-Styptic-Powder.aspx<br />
      They also have clippers that are supposed to help you determine where the Quick is too http://www.petco.com/product/102745/Miracle-Coat-Quick-Finder-for-Dogs.aspx<br />
      good luck!

• Good luck, my chihuahua tries to eat me alive,lol. I started letting the vet do it. But they did tell me if I was ever cutting a dogs nail and cut it too short to just put him down outside and let him run around in the dirt it would stop the bleeding.

• I don't cut my dog's nails. He gets a lot of exercise and they wear down. He also uses them like fingers to open doors and hold things in his paws.<br />
      <br />
      When he plays (he likes to play soccer), he uses his nails to control the ball. He also uses them from traction climbing nearly vertical rock walls, trees and for self-defense.<br />
      <br />
      But he is a strange primitive breed of dog so maybe that's why he uses his claws so much. <br />
      <br />
      I know other dogs need to have their nails clipped to keep their feet from getting deformed, I think they should use a rotary manicuse sander so the pressure and click aren't so scary.

• You get used to it.. (and so does the dog).. It's not that different than when you get a papercut.. <br />
      <br />
      I find it's much easier with my beagle than my mothers Schnauzers.. not only are their nails black, but the quik seems to extend farther in the nail.. . but you still get used to it.