Rescue dogs nails too long after clipping?

Rescued schnauzer with thick black nails. I get them clipped at the vet but they are still maybe more than inch long and make his toes crooked when he stands. It looks very uncomfortable and they hook into the carpet often and some have even ripped off.…

Rescued schnauzer with thick black nails. I get them clipped at the vet but they are still maybe more than inch long and make his toes crooked when he stands. It looks very uncomfortable and they hook into the carpet often and some have even ripped off.…...
    General Dog Discussions : Rescue dogs nails too long after clipping?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rescue dogs nails too long after clipping?

Rescue dogs nails too long after clipping? General Dog Discussions
      Rescued schnauzer with thick black nails. I get them clipped at the vet but they are still maybe more than inch long and make his toes crooked when he stands. It looks very uncomfortable and they hook into the carpet often and some have even ripped off. The vet said its not worth it to put him under and clip them short. But she said thats also the only way to get the quick back..<br />
      <br />
      I see some people online saying the quick will shorten over time? Its been over a year and they are the same length. Does this quick REALLY shorten on its own or is it just because they are cutting it by accident?<br />
      steve - i DO get them clipped every 6 weeks.<br />

Rescue dogs nails too long after clipping? General Dog Discussions
    • you have to keep clippong a lottle at a time to get them short<br />
      you walk on concrete daily about 4 hours<br />
      <br />
      take to groomer and ask them about clipping<br />
      \get another vet

• Ask your vet or visit a grooming salon that uses a dremmel to grind the nails back, it allows you to not only get it shorter without pain than typical clipping, but also helps to encourage the quick to push back. PetSmart does it for 11$ : ) I had to start this with my adopted dog, her nails are also black and were overly long, but now are better though they could still stand to be a bit shorter.

• I think if its causing that much of a problem for the dog it would be worth it to have them put him under to get them done. They usually use something to grind the nail down really far. Also taking walks on the sidewalk or road will help a little. I got a dog whose nails were pretty long but aren't hurting him so I would trim a tiny bit off every week or so and it has helped quite a bit.

• Get off your azz and get them clipped . It's painful for the dog to walk on his nails and can injure his paws . this is something that should be done approx every 6 - 8 weeks . Get the dog in and get it done

• The quick will shorten over time IF you keep clipping the nails frequently. Even then, you need to keep it up or the quick will grow out with the nail. This dog probably needs its nails trimmed once a week.<br />
      <br />
      For under $30, you can get a pair of clippers with a electronic circuit to let you know where the quick is located. Then you can clip as short as possible until the nails are out of the way. Nail trimming for many dogs is not hard, especially if you have a friend to help. DO not try this if you are concerned that your dog may injure you.<br />
      <br />
      A schnauzer is a terrier type dog. I have no experience with schnauzers in particular, but terriers often have fast growing nails. Many were bred to hunt small animals, eg rats, moles, that run into holes in the ground. So the nails are there to help digging in the ground.<br />
      <br />
      So to get the quick to move back in this kind og dog, you need to trim the nails every 1 - 2 weeks.

• It's not the only way to get the quick back. I DREMEL my Dobe's nails every week and she is FAR from being a show dog. Get yourself a Dremel tool, Dremel her nails every 2-3 days, and DO hit the quick. I'm not saying to make the dog bleed to death, I'm saying that it's OK if you get a drop or two of blood. That's what the Vet would do if they *put her out.* They would clip the nails SO short and make them bleed, maybe to the point they would have to be cauterized. So, you can do this yourself, but it will just be a gradual process. Make sure that you DO have some Kwik Stop powder in he house before you do this, just in case he is a *bleeder.* You CAN do this if you are really dedicated to this. I know you can.<br />
      <br />
      Get the 2-speed rechargable one. I've had mine for probably 20 years, and used a corded one before that. It's just a LOT easier to get the recharable one, because you can take the thing anywhere. Much more convenient.

• 6 weeks is far too long in between clipping. If you want them to get any shorter, you need to trim them at least once a week, probably twice a week.<br />
      <br />
      If your dog will allow, you could try using an electric grinder/file, or alternatively use a really rough sandpaper, which is what I do with my rehomed dog wh is uite noise sensitive and would freak out at an electric grinder.<br />
      <br />
      The other alternative is to have your vet put the dog under anaesthetic and deliberatley cut all the nails back into the quick, but this would be as a last resort.