Clip dog's nails?????

When I try to clip my dog's nails, he growls and barks. I've only clipped his nails once before, and he didn't mind, so why does he now? Is there anything I can do about it besides bringing him to the vet and have them do it?<br />

Clip dog's nails?????

When I try to clip my dog's nails, he growls and barks. I've only clipped his nails once before, and he didn't mind, so why does he now? Is there anything I can do about it besides bringing him to the vet and have them do it?<br /> ...
    General Dog Discussions : Clip dog's nails?????...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Clip dog's nails?????

Clip dog's nails????? General Dog Discussions
      When I try to clip my dog's nails, he growls and barks. I've only clipped his nails once before, and he didn't mind, so why does he now? Is there anything I can do about it besides bringing him to the vet and have them do it?<br />

Clip dog's nails?????

Clip dog's nails????? General Dog Discussions
    • You can show him everything is ok by rubbing the clippers over is back feet, and front, to show him that the clippers arent going to attack him. Then try to cut them very gently.

• You have to keep working with him. Did you clip one too short last time and hurt him? One of my dogs hated getting his toenails cut, so I would do one at a time, praise him exorbitantly after each one, get a tiny treat and eventually he learned to trust me to do it. Also play with his feet so he get used to them being handled.

• Be the boss. They're gonna pull and yip and try their hardest to make you think you're abusing them. You're not. It doesn't hurt at all, and if you cut it too short it'll bleed a little bit, but that only hurts as bad as when you take yours too short. How I was taught to cut them was: for the front paws. lift it up, bent at the knee and bent at the ankle, like when they're pointing. For the back legs take it up toward the stomach and point the toes down. This keeps them off balance a bit so that they can't pull and tug, but even if they do dont let go, you gotta show you're the boss. Good luck! It can be so tough, I know.

• I hate to say it, but you may need to muzzle him. Sometimes we have the sweetest dogs in the office but when it comes to nail trimming time they go crazy. Also when we place a muzzle on them they calm down or it could be the opposite. But for your protection and the dogs I would try a muzzle or take him to the vet. Dont listen to XRO. If you let your dogs nails grow too long they will crack, break or grow into your dogs pads.

• to adjust him to you getting used to touching his feet practice squeezing his feet often. Praise him when he doesn't growl or anything. This is done easiest while he's still young, but you can still try. He can do this. Also, get him used to the clippers by holding them while your petting him, put it near his food, etc. Let him get smell it and figure out that its OK.<br />
      Read up in books, they will have many tips for you to make this easy like it is. If you still need help talk to your vet or an animal trainer. Attend a behavior class if needed. Your dog should never growl at you. You should be the "top dog". Please be calmly assertive.<br />
      Some of my own tips are:<br />
      Do it while your dog is really calm and is laying down.<br />
      It is easiest when you dog is in the sun because you can see where his skin starts easier.<br />
      Practice what I tould you earlier everyday<br />
      Do NOT make a big deal about it by walking up to him cautiously and saying in a baby voice "your OK, your OK" and petting him constantly. This will confuse him into thinking that it is a big deal and he should be scared of it. <br />
      Sometimes its easiest with two people, one to cut the nail, and one to hold the dog from escaping.<br />
      Don't get too close to the skin<br />
      If your dog is going to bite you, and you can't get your vet or groomer (if you go) to do it, you must protect yourself and put a towel over his head. Do NOT do this unless you absolutly have to in an emergency. <br />
      Use a muzzle if you need too.<br />
      Give him a treat when you are done if he did good!<br />
      <br />
      I think the mistake (from the way your story sounds) is that you are making a big production out of it. Be calm and assertive and don't make it a big deal. Hope I helped. <br />
      <br />
      Good luck!!

• Maybe he was "quicked" or maybe he wised up and thinks he has "rights" now. I had one dog [quicked when he was a puppy] that weighed 10 pounds and four people at the same time couldn't ever clip him.He made the wife wreck the 5 speed 300Z when he saw the vet office.Sometimes if you hold the dog and have someone else clip with a special reward after every time......or put the dog on a table where he cant get away,and /or muzzled....again, with a special reward after.....I use hotdog.bologna and my dog "explodes" with enthusiasim when I open the drawer to the dog clippers, dogbrush,ear medicine or anything to do with him as he knows he is going to "GET PAID" .......Good luck and be careful not to go too short, it will really set your program back if you get into thew quick and draw blood.......

• I know the exact problem....<br />
      There is a possibility you are cutting to low....even if its not that even if you cut the slightest bit to low cutting nails is very painful to dogs...<br />
      So he probably finds it painful also some dogs dont like their paws being touched....<br />
      <br />
      Ohh...and I dont mean this to say that you dont know how to cut nails because i cut my dogs nails too low and they kept wiggling and squirming and i didnt know why....soo i figured out i was cutting to low...and it was painful to them...i had a dog that didnt like me touching his paws because the vet told me he hadnt gained my trust....<br />
      <br />
      I think you should probably do it because your dog probably trusts you more than the vets but you could bring your dog to the vets to get tips on how low to cut it and let them show you i did that =] You could also get a specail dog clipper =]<br />
      <br />
      Good Luck =]