Question regarding Dog nails...?

My dog's nails growth is very fast, I have to cut them now & then. Sometimes I am afraid to cut his nails because he gets hurt. He is 15 yrs old & doesn't moves around much, like he used to do when he was young. I think thats the reason his nail growth…

My dog's nails growth is very fast, I have to cut them now & then. Sometimes I am afraid to cut his nails because he gets hurt. He is 15 yrs old & doesn't moves around much, like he used to do when he was young. I think thats the reason his nail growth…...
    General Dog Discussions : Question regarding Dog nails...?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Question regarding Dog nails...?

Question regarding Dog nails...? General Dog Discussions
      My dog's nails growth is very fast, I have to cut them now & then. Sometimes I am afraid to cut his nails because he gets hurt. He is 15 yrs old & doesn't moves around much, like he used to do when he was young. I think thats the reason his nail growth is fast. If I don't trim nails then he cant walk properly & make lot of noise on tiled floor. Any suggestion how to cut nails in a safest way ?<br />

Question regarding Dog nails...? General Dog Discussions
    • Yeah, If you look at nail from top; cut right side a little and then cut left side a little. Cut right side a little and then left. It takes somewhat longer time do it this way, but you protect the nerve in the middle if you do it right.<br />
      <br />
      :)

• If you look at your dogs nails from underneath you'll see where the nail ends and part of his paw begins. This is called the quick. As long as you cut only the nail and not the quick as well, you should be fine. Good luck.

• Be sure that you are using clippers meant for dogs. You can buy them according to the size of your dog. I know some people that have tried to do this with regular human nail clippers. Not good. <br />
      <br />
      There is a vein in the nail. In dogs with light colored nails you can see this vein and avoid clipping the nails too close. If you hit this vein they will bleed profusely and it hurts them. In dogs with black nails you can not see this vein so you must be very careful.<br />
      <br />
      The older a dog becomes the less active so therefore the nails do not get worn down and you must cut them more often. You will just have to get use to cutting his nails more often since he is older. If you can't see the vein, just clip a little above the nail tip. If you can see the vein, clip up within a reasonable distance to the vein. Not too close. I've never seen a dog that likes this and if you have cut his nails too close and it has hurt him you are surely having problems getting him to hold still. Speak with your vet and see if they can give you some advice since they know the dog.

• Im no professional, but i think they make nail clippers for dogs, and if anything, bring him the the vet or a dog groomer. They should be happy to clip his nails, and they will know how to do it properly without hurting him.

• Dermal works well except they product tons of dust so you will want to do it outside and set up a fan so neither you or your dog inhales it. Personally I prefer the guillotine clippers. Pay attention when cutting not to cut the quick which is the vein in the nail. On a white nail it's easy to see as the darker part but on a black one you just have to guess. Don't cut it as it will cause pain to the dog and make him bleed. Cut as close to it as possible, and over time it will move back into the nail. If you need more help ask your veterinarian or a groomer to show you.

• We take both of my dogs to the grooming area at petco or petsmart!! It is only about $8.00!!! It is worth it, and if you ask them they will file them too! It only takes about 5 minutes!

• You can take him to a groomer's and it'll only cost you about $10. That's what my aunt does with her pups because she is afraid they will move away when she tried to clip the nail and it will get snagged. You are right about the laziness being part of the reason why his nails are growing so much...I have a ten-year-old lab who is the same way. I have to clip her nails about once every two weeks!