Dog toe nail clipping?

I have a 55-60 pound beagle/lab mix (as you can see in my picture). We were trimming his nails last night and he jerked one of his front paws and unfortunately we cut one nail way to short. It bled a lot and we put a paper towel over it for a while, it…

Dog toe nail clipping?

I have a 55-60 pound beagle/lab mix (as you can see in my picture). We were trimming his nails last night and he jerked one of his front paws and unfortunately we cut one nail way to short. It bled a lot and we put a paper towel over it for a while, it…...
    General Dog Discussions : Dog toe nail clipping?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dog toe nail clipping?

Dog toe nail clipping? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 55-60 pound beagle/lab mix (as you can see in my picture). We were trimming his nails last night and he jerked one of his front paws and unfortunately we cut one nail way to short. It bled a lot and we put a paper towel over it for a while, it seemed to bleed a lot, but it stopped and he seemed fine. He licked his paw for quite some time, but other than that he seems fine. Should I be worried, and what should I do if this happens again?<br />

Dog toe nail clipping?

Dog toe nail clipping? General Dog Discussions
    • The only yhing you should be worried about is he'll remember the experience. Then, being a beagle mix, you will have problems with him. Just to be safe, I would either take him to a vet or professional groomer next time to get his nails trimmed.

• No need for a vet visit. As long as the bleeding has stopped, he'll be fine.<br />
      <br />
      Next time, have some styptic powder AKA Quik Stop handy. It clots the bleeding immediately.<br />
      <br />
      I've also heard that if you're in a pinch, corn starch works, too.

• Toenail clipping is a weird deal for me. My dog has jet black toenails so it's hard to see where the nail ends and the quick [the bleedy part] begins. You can get something call septic [I think that's what it is] that you can put on the nail after it starts to bleed. It stops the bleeding, but I imagine the nail still hurts for a few days. As for me, I take my dog in and have then clipped by my Vet. Even that is still an ordeal for me, and my dog. Good luck.

• when you cut his nails to short, you cut into the "quick" of the nail, just like your own nail, dip his toes in some baking soda and it will stop bleeding right away. dogs can bleed to death if the quick is cut to far up the toe. go to the pet shop and ask for a pair of clippers with the shield on the back of them, this shield is to keep from cutting the nail to short as you will see. But again, if you cut it to short and it bleeds, keep a small bowl of baking soda close so you can dip his toe in it and it will stop the bleeding.

• Don't worry so much this even happens to professionals.<br />
      I would purchase quick stop it is an antibiotic and powder that helps stop teh bleeding.<br />
      YOu shouldn't have any problem just do keep an eye for any infection

• You cut his quick, and a quick will bleed a lot it's really hard to get them to stop bleeding, it's not a good thing. Next time you're in the pet store pick up a product called Quick Stop Stiptic powder, next time you accidentally snip the quick dab it with stiptic it will stop bleeding immediately. We always have it ready to go when we clip the dogs nails as they tend to jerk their paws.<br />
      <br />
      Best thing is to use a dremmel tool to shorten the nails, no cut quick and you can get shorter nails than you can with clipping.<br />
      <br />
      Good luck

• one of my boys has back dew claw i sometimes clip short cause it turns funny when it grows. just have some baking soda or corn starch on hand and if the dog is scared about it next time don't baby him. tell him a firm no and keep going. the best way to see if he's going to fight u is to sit down and act like u are going to clip his nails. just try to make the nail clipping a good thing not a painful memory.