our dog is limping. She is a 6 year old boxer. Think the vet clipped her toe nail wrong, now it is split.?

What do they do for a split toe nail on a dog?<br />

our dog is limping. She is a 6 year old boxer. Think the vet clipped her toe nail wrong, now it is split.?

What do they do for a split toe nail on a dog?<br /> ...
    General Dog Discussions : our dog is limping. She is a 6 year old boxer. Think the vet clipped her toe nail wrong, now it is split.?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• our dog is limping. She is a 6 year old boxer. Think the vet clipped her toe nail wrong, now it is split.?

our dog is limping. She is a 6 year old boxer. Think the vet clipped her toe nail wrong, now it is split.? General Dog Discussions
      What do they do for a split toe nail on a dog?<br />

our dog is limping. She is a 6 year old boxer. Think the vet clipped her toe nail wrong, now it is split.? General Dog Discussions
    • I would call the vet and tell them whats going on - maybe they had an inexperienced vet tech clip your dogs nails. Keep an eye on how far the split occurs, you may need to use some gorilla glue similar to what people would use to hold our own split nails together. Ask the vet first though, and tell them what has happened since the dog left their office.

• Agreed with previous answer. Also if it starts bleeding a good in-home remedy is flour. This will make it clot. She'll be fine, just give it time to heal. And this probably goes without saying but don't let them clip that one again for a while.<br />
      <br />
      Also it's probably a good idea to touch her feet, especially that one, as much as you can so that she doesn't have a fear of it the next time she gets her nails clipped. As someone who works at a dog store and clips nails, I can tell you this will be very helpful for whoever does them next time.

• I'm sorry that your dog has a split nail. Sometimes vets don't pay attention or are in a hurry and they can split a dog's nail while trimming them. <br />
      Unfortunately there's not much you can do for your dog. If the split nail is bleeding you can get a styptic pencil or powder to stop the bleeding. Or you can even usr corn starch. You just apply a small amount of the styptic pencil or corn starch to the nail and try to get your dog to lay down for a little bit. When your dog walks or puts pressure on her foot it causes the nail to start bleeding, and by having your dog rest or lay down, it helps the bleeding to stop.<br />
      Also, you should go back to a vet and have them gently clip the nail back to where the split starts, unless the entire nail is split, then they may remove it and a new nail will grow back in within a few weeks. <br />
      Clipping the toe split toe nail will help the nail to not be as painful for your dog. The next time you have a vet clip your dog's nails, make sure you tell them what happened, that the vet accidentally split your dog's nail. They will know to be more careful. I hope your dog is not in much pain or discomfort. The good thing is that the nail will grow back in a few weeks. <br />
      Best of luck with your dog. Hope I helped.