how do you clip a dog's nails??

i tried using regular,bigger nail clippers but my dog's nails are too thick. They are very long and hurt when he jumps on me. Is this something i have to take him to the vet for or are there special clippers that i can buy and do it myself. thanks!<br…

i tried using regular,bigger nail clippers but my dog's nails are too thick. They are very long and hurt when he jumps on me. Is this something i have to take him to the vet for or are there special clippers that i can buy and do it myself. thanks!<br…...
    General Dog Discussions : how do you clip a dog's nails??...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• how do you clip a dog's nails??

how do you clip a dog's nails?? General Dog Discussions
      i tried using regular,bigger nail clippers but my dog's nails are too thick. They are very long and hurt when he jumps on me. Is this something i have to take him to the vet for or are there special clippers that i can buy and do it myself. thanks!<br />

how do you clip a dog's nails?? General Dog Discussions
    • They have dog clippers that are for bigger dogs at the pet store. You can take the pooch to the groomer and they'll do it for you too if you are not comfortable doing it your self

• There are special clippers, but it's best to have a vet/groomer do it. Or at least have them show you how so you can do it yourself. If your dog has black nails, you might want to make sure you have styptic powder in case you cut the vein so it doesn't bleed. If they are clear nails, you can see the vein. Just don't cut too close to that.

• You can do it yourself, but it can sometimes be easier just to haul your doggy to your local vet or groomer. Some pet stores even do it. Are your nail clippers specially-made for dogs? You may want to try Petsmart or Petco, who might have clippers specifically for dogs with thicker, tougher claws. Just do not clip past the quick. It will cause bleeding and pain. If the nails are black, you can use a flashlight to see the quick.

• You can purchase nail clippers from a pet store like Petco. but I'd suggest that you take them to a groomer to get them clipped.It's faster and if you do it yourself you may clip them to close to the quick and that hurts your dog alot, and also it bleeds alot

• They sell dog nail clippers at pet supply stores. Don't try and do this without being show how first take your dog to the vet or groomer and pay for them to do it and ask if you can watch , you can cut the quick and make the dog bleed its hard to stop without some quick- stop or cornstarch. ( the groomer will show you.)

• It is not difficult. However, you will be nervous the first couple of times. You have to go to a pet store and buy dog nail clippers. They are between 4 & 10 dollars. They look NOTHING like people nail clippers. If you look closely at the bottom of your poochie's nails you can see where the nerves and blood supply stop. Cut a little longer than that point. <br />
      <br />
      Depending on the type of dog...excessively long nails are a sign that bowser isn't getting enough excersize. Walking a minimal amount on a hard surface will wear the nails down a little between cuttings and help to toughen his pads.

• The easiest tool to use for clipping toenails is a Dremel. You can find these online at www.cherrybrook.com or at your local hardware store. You only need a basic 2-speed model, not one of the highpowered ones. Use a coarse sanding drum and file your dog's toesnails shorter. Dremels are easier on dogs as they don't pinch and they are easier for you to get the nails shorter without hurting your dog in the process.

• There is special clippers but it's difficult to do and you can hurt your dog if you do it wrong..The best think to do it's to bring your dog at any petco and/or groomers , they do it for $5...

• I would go to a groomer like at petsmart and just ask if you could watch them do it.. you dont have to take your dog there just watch on anougher dogit it is very simple there is a vein that goes threw the dogs nail the quik you cute a lttle above that black nails are a little harder we just cap them I highly recomend you buy good clippers and quik stop before you attempt may buy your dog a treat for afterward good luck