My dogs nails Help!?

I have a one year old beagle and she is very attached to me. when she was smaller we could trim her nails, but we can't anymore. So today we took her to our VET. and we said we need her nails cut,they said ok we have a lot to do so just leave her here an…

My dogs nails Help!?

I have a one year old beagle and she is very attached to me. when she was smaller we could trim her nails, but we can't anymore. So today we took her to our VET. and we said we need her nails cut,they said ok we have a lot to do so just leave her here an…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dogs nails Help!?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My dogs nails Help!?

My dogs nails Help!? General Dog Discussions
      I have a one year old beagle and she is very attached to me. when she was smaller we could trim her nails, but we can't anymore. So today we took her to our VET. and we said we need her nails cut,they said ok we have a lot to do so just leave her here an hour and come pick her up well I get a call saying the dog won't sit still long enought to get them cut. What should I do? Is my vet. being non professional? Her nails aren't dangeriously long but still probably uncomfortably long. Any suggestions?

My dogs nails Help!?

My dogs nails Help!? General Dog Discussions
    • Go to a dog groomer....they'll do it no matter what so they can make money.....and they have been trained especially for this. And they only charge $5-$10. just call around different groomers and check out there prices.

• thats weird. i worked in a vet hospital for many years, never once did we have a dog that we couldnt cut their nails, even if they "wouldnt sit still" vets and vet techs know how to properly restrain a dog in order to do something as simple as cutting their nails. maybe they are being truthful, but if they are I would go get my dog a see a different vet, one that is more competent...more experienced.

• try another vet. I cut my dogs nails myself and i'm an amateur compared to a vet. I do my friends dogs nails too, so i know full well what it is like to do them. Anybody with enough experiance will be able to cut claws!

• Your vet should be able to trim the dogs nails, its a basic procedure. If you want to trim the nail your self have someone hold her still and do it quick with trimmers that have a guard. But honestly your vet really shouldn't have that much of an issue.

• This is simple! you need to get at least three people, two to hold the dog down and still [wrapped in a towel if need be] and one doing the nail cutting. Be careful not to cut too far down the nail shaft if she is wriggling, just take ur time! It may sound cruel to overpower her and cut her nails, but this is something that needs to be done! otherwise the nail can eventually curl under and grow back INTO the skin!!! besides the dog needs to be able to have routine things done to it, such as grooming!

I worked as a kennel hand and many times had to groom difficult dogs who would scream and squeel like you were killing them, bite, wriggling, throw themselves around...You just need to take control! Dogs should not be the boss of you.

good luck.

P.s, your vet is just a lazy *****

• My little pup had a similar problem only she wouldn't ever get her nails cut quietly. You couldn't even touch her feet without her jerking them away.

My presence when the vet was cutting them really helped alot. In the end I usually had to hold her in my arms while the vet cut them. I even held her a few times with her head tucked under my arm. She would still wiggle and whine, I just talked to her and held her and the vet did the cutting.

A way to keep her nails shorter for longer is to walk her on concrete as that naturally wares them down. Other than that, I suggest (whatever the Vet may say, as tey tend to go no just leave it with me), stay with your dog and hold and talk to them while their getting a trim. It's still a battle but it may do the trick.

• In my experience Beagles are one of the worst breeds to deal with when it comes to nail trims, for some reason the breed just HATES every minute of it! Your poor girl!!

However, with that said... your vet should have enough people on staff to "butt sit" your girl to keep her still long enough to clip her nails. When we get a squirmy dog in for a nail trim, one tech will hug the pups neck and the other tech will hold the 'better' half. At the same time we have the owner talk to and give the pup "noogies" at the top of their head. The simple act of the strange sensation of noogies usually distracts the dog for the minute it takes to clip nails.

Can I ask why you cannot cut her nails any longer?

• take her for walks, the side walk will help file her nails down. you can buy dog nail clippers at the pet store. it's easy to do, just don't cut too short. seek another vet, this one doesn't have a clue.