my dogs nail?

its half falling off but every time i touch it he pulls away and when i tried to cut it he yelped. some people suggested taking him to the vet while others say let it fall off naturally. he didn't mind it yesterday but today he cant seem to put pressure…

my dogs nail?

its half falling off but every time i touch it he pulls away and when i tried to cut it he yelped. some people suggested taking him to the vet while others say let it fall off naturally. he didn't mind it yesterday but today he cant seem to put pressure…...
    General Dog Discussions : my dogs nail?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• my dogs nail?

my dogs nail? General Dog Discussions
      its half falling off but every time i touch it he pulls away and when i tried to cut it he yelped. some people suggested taking him to the vet while others say let it fall off naturally. he didn't mind it yesterday but today he cant seem to put pressure on it. we cant afford the vet
      dont say i am a bad owner and i should've thought about that before getting him
      i need help NOW
      its broken at the base of the nail

my dogs nail?

my dogs nail? General Dog Discussions
    • Sorry to hear of your dog's problem and your problem. Also sorry that you do not want to take your dog to the vet. I strongly suggest that you never have children. What if they, too, required a doctor but you 'couldn't afford it?'

• Sorry to here that. Sounds like the vein in the nail might be exposed. If the nail is broke and is not broken at the base of the nail, you could trim the nail down to leave less hanging. Try not to clip the vein if possible. If you do hit the vein, it will bleed quite a bit. If this happens, you should have a stiptic pencil to plug the nail, this willstop the bleeding.
      I'm sure that it hurts the dog somewhat and that's why he yelps, but he may be yelping because he is scared and not really in that much pain.
      Hope this helps, Good Luck with your dog.

• I am sorry to hear about your pup and your financial issues, I know how it is, don't listen to that jerk two posts above me. I would check it out and see if it is infected. Most dogs don't like their nails clipped either. But I would hightly recommend calling your vet and telling them the situation, and that you can't afford to take your dog in there, they can either work out a payment plan or give you advice. Most veterinary offices are very kind about giving you alternatives unless you dog NEEDS to be seen! Best of Wishes, and good luck to your pup!

• Any handling of it is going to be painful as there is a nerve that runs into it, which is the problem when he tried to put weight onto it, it will likely fall off on its own but their is a risk of it becoming infected and if that happens vet cost to treat will be even higher, than what is will cost to take him in now. If you absolutely cannot take him in get some epsom salts add to warm water and soak his foot in a couple times a day to help prevent the risk of infection any sign of pus at the base means absolutely getting him to the vet as waiting too long could result in needing amputation to save his life

Nails breaking off can be caused by injury and also by diseases such as a fungus infection or an autoimmune disease called SLO aka Symmetrical Lupoid Onychodystrophy http://www.bloodaxe.com/SLO.html

http://www.bloodaxe.com/SLO.html

this has pictures of what to watch for
      http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/SLO.htm

So if other nails start to break off or the grow in funny it will become absolutely necessary to see a vet as they can be very painful and risk of infection is high

• sorry but u have no option but to take him to the vet they might let u pay by installments.if you cut it yourself u risking cutting a blood vessel in the nail if you cut it the dog could bleed to death so please dont do it yourself take him straight to the vets asap.