Dog grooming tips, hates nail trimming, matted fur?

She's a 6 month old GSD/Malamute mix. The first thing I need help with is nail trimming. The vet cut her nails during the first two visits. The first time she was fine but the second time she absolutely hated her nails getting clipped. I've been trying…

She's a 6 month old GSD/Malamute mix. The first thing I need help with is nail trimming. The vet cut her nails during the first two visits. The first time she was fine but the second time she absolutely hated her nails getting clipped. I've been trying…...
    General Dog Discussions : Dog grooming tips, hates nail trimming, matted fur?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dog grooming tips, hates nail trimming, matted fur?

Dog grooming tips, hates nail trimming, matted fur? General Dog Discussions
      She's a 6 month old GSD/Malamute mix.

The first thing I need help with is nail trimming. The vet cut her nails during the first two visits. The first time she was fine but the second time she absolutely hated her nails getting clipped. I've been trying to cut her nails since then but for the past 2 months I've only been able to cut just one nail! She flips out as soon as I attempt to trim a nail. I do my best to keep her calm and entice her with treats, but she doesn't even care about treats as soon as I touch her nails. All she wants to do is flee when I touch them.

Next, she is getting matted fur, similar to small dreadlocks, behind her ears and under her legs in the armpit-type of area. They can't be brushed with the Furminator. The only thing that I think works is to cut them off. Am I correct in doing so or is there another way?

If anyone has any more grooming tips or trainin tips, I would be highly appreciative. Thank you!

Dog grooming tips, hates nail trimming, matted fur? General Dog Discussions
    • What kind of dog do you have? Brushing your dog?s coat is an important part of canine maintenance and serves many functions; for example, it eliminates tangles and mats, keeps his coat looking vibrant and beautiful, massages and lubricates his skin by activating your pet?s natural oils, and keeps errant pet hair away from clothing and furniture.

Different types of dogs require different types of brushes. For example, it doesn?t make sense to use the same type of brush on a Poodle that you would use on a German Shepherd. Their hair is simply different.

Here is our 5-step trimming technique.

Ease into the job by handling your puppy's paws on a regular basis so that she gets accustomed to the attention. This is very important and is critical to make the nail clipping experience easier. If your puppy is used to having her paws touched, your once-a-month trimming battle is half-won.

There are two ways you can position your dog for nail-trimming: have her sit beside you or put her in a laying down position. If you have a very small dog, you can even sit her on your lap while you trim. Once your dog is situated, begin clipping:

1.Take the first paw in your hand and gently remove any dirt from around the nail.

2.Locate the "quick" within the nail - you want to avoid this vein. If you cannot see the quick, stop cutting at the point where the nail begins to curve downward.

3.Gradually shorten the nail, working one at a time.

4.If you do accidentally cut into the quick, don't panic! It will bleed profusely, but it looks worse than it is. Using a cotton swab, apply some clotting powder to the end of the nail and press against it firmly for about two minutes.

5.Repeat the nail-cutting process and don?t forget the dewclaws located on the inside of the front and/or rear legs. (Some dogs don't have dewclaws, so if you don?t see any, don't worry?it just means you have less nails to trim!)

This process may seem a bit daunting, particularly at first. But it is actually simple and painless. Once you and your dog are relaxed and comfortable, nail trimming will easily become part of your routine.

• Train the dog. Dogs need to know that *anything* that mom wants to do, she is allowed to do. Sign up for a basic obedience class and learn how to get her under control.

Stop using treats as bribes, instead use them as rewards, keeping them hidden until she is good and then giving her one.

Stop giving her choices - her options are: hold still and get your nails trimmed, or throw a hissy fit while *I* hold you still and trim your nails anyway. Dogs are smart, once she realizes her fit isn't getting her out of anything, she will stop throwing the fit. Of course she wants to flee! Nails are scary! Just wait until you give her a bath... the issue isn't what SHE wants but what YOU want - you want her to hold still and you will calmly and assertively make that happen regardless of what she wants.

There are several options to solve matting, but any that will leave hair are not safe or fair on a dog as uncontrolled as yours - clip them off and then get a regular comb and attend to the areas that seem to mat on a daily basis.

My dog hates having his nails trimmed, but will come to me when called, roll over, and even give me each foot in turn. He learned that no hissy fit will get him out of it and that the calmer he is, the faster it is over.

Good luck!