how far should i cut my dogs nails ?

my dogs front nails are getting long and need cutting but i dont know how far to trim them as they are black. ally p could u send me a picture i think i know what u mean but i just want to be sure

my dogs front nails are getting long and need cutting but i dont know how far to trim them as they are black. ally p could u send me a picture i think i know what u mean but i just want to be sure ...
    General Dog Discussions : how far should i cut my dogs nails ?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• how far should i cut my dogs nails ?

how far should i cut my dogs nails ? General Dog Discussions
      my dogs front nails are getting long and need cutting but i dont know how far to trim them as they are black.
      ally p could u send me a picture i think i know what u mean but i just want to be sure

how far should i cut my dogs nails ? General Dog Discussions
    • I don't recommend doing it yourself unless you can file then. Dogs have a vain in there and if you clip it they will howl and bleed profusely. Groomer or vet.

• if she has clear nails up to the white in front of the pink section in the nails the pink is her quick and it will bleed if you cut up there

if black nails cut the nails a bit at a time, and look at the end of the nail til you see a white target at the end at that will tell you that you've reached the quick and not to go any farther

• As they say, a little bit at a time, about even with the pad, so that if he's standing his toes almost hit the floor. If you're not comfortable doing it, a groomer will do it pretty cheaply. If you do it yourself and happen to hit a vein, he's going to bleed quite a bit, press flour to his nail to clot it if this happens. Best way is to just cut a bit at a time until he starts to get squirmy.

• My dog has black nails and there is actually a REALLY good rule of thumb that our vet showed us. You face your thumb to the dogs pad and press it in and just clip anything that sticks out further than your thumb, I hope i'm explaining it ok it is ALOT easier to demonstrate then to explain. If you don't get it just mention it in an edit and i will attach a picture tonight when i get home.

• If you can not buy the Gentle Paws made by Oster or the other battery run sanding type trimmer then go to a pet supply store and get the nail clipper that has a metal guard on it. The nail should not only be clipped but also the edge should be filed down so that it is smooth. The best way to learn how to do it yourself is have your veterinary show you how to do it. I learned on my own from a book I got on dog care, and since my dog's nails are black I would just take off the tip where it started to curve down unless he started to get a tear. If a tear started then I would use the clipper for just the sharp point and then use a coarse nail file to smooth it. If you use a regular clipper it is good to get some styptic powder. The kind I have is called Nik Stop, and it helps prevent infection and ease pain if you should cut into the nail bed. It is also good to stop bleeding of small cuts or scrapes.