do i have to clip my dog's nails? Weim/lab mix?

the guy absolutely will not sit still. not only that, but he has black nails and i really dont want to cut him again. Let's see, i think it's been 7-8 months since the vet trimmed them last. He makes quite a bit of noise when he walks on the wood too.…

the guy absolutely will not sit still. not only that, but he has black nails and i really dont want to cut him again. Let's see, i think it's been 7-8 months since the vet trimmed them last. He makes quite a bit of noise when he walks on the wood too.…...
    General Dog Discussions : do i have to clip my dog's nails? Weim/lab mix?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• do i have to clip my dog's nails? Weim/lab mix?

do i have to clip my dog's nails? Weim/lab mix? General Dog Discussions
      the guy absolutely will not sit still. not only that, but he has black nails and i really dont want to cut him again. Let's see, i think it's been 7-8 months since the vet trimmed them last. He makes quite a bit of noise when he walks on the wood too. Can i file them? How much might a groomer charge just to trim nails, i wonder. Can i just leave them and hope they wear down themselves- he gets out quite a bit? thanks in advance

do i have to clip my dog's nails? Weim/lab mix? General Dog Discussions
    • The only problem is if they get too long they can catch on things like the carpet or blanket, and can break & end up hurting him. Best to take him to a grooming place or your vet & let them do it if you can't.

• I'd take him to a groomer or vet to get them trimmed up. It's typically not very expensive. If price is a big issue, maybe you can ask a friend or neighbor who's had lots of experience with nail clipping. The nails do need to be cut, as they can get caught on things, like carpeting, and get bloodied up or torn off, which is very painful. If you don't want to have to take him in to get his nails cut very often, you can try to keep them filed as best as you can after each visit to get them cut. That should help cut down on the number of times you have to take him in. But all in all, yes you do need to cut your dog's nails.

• All groomers charge different prices. Call around and ask. I would think somewhere between $5-$15 for nails only.
      You can file them, and you can use a dremel on them as well...if he will sit still for it.
      Another option is to walk him often on concrete..that will file them down and keep them short.
      You dont want them to get too long..they can break, split, curl around and get embedded into the pad of the foot, and cause problems walking.

• It is best to let a groomer or vet clip them. I pay anywhere from $5-6. The one that charges $6 also puts a scarf on him...to cute. They are similar to our nails, if they get too long they break and can hurt. Once theyre done to a good length for you, take hi out n the pavement and let him run around, it will 'file' them down.

• It all depends if your dog wears down his nail naturally. What you need to do is to get at eye level with his paws while he's standing on a flat surface. The nails should ideally be situated slighly above the ground and not touching it. If they touch, then they are too long and you'll need to clip them. If he is not wearing his nails down on his own and you wait too long to get it done, the blood vessel inside the nail might lengthen, which is something you don't want to happen.

If you have a proper tool, it is not that difficult to cut your dog's nails yourself, even if they are black, but since he won't sit still and you are not comfortable doing it, then why not have the vet do it next time you go in for his yearly vaccinations?

I trained my dog to let herself be handled and she would voluntary put her paws on my lap for me to clip her nails or lie perfectly still and let me clean her teeth. It is really practical if your dog has this kind of attitude and if you have the possibility and time, my suggestion would be to slowly and gently teach him to sit still and let you take care of him.

PS. What others have said about letting him walk on concrete, once his nails have the right length, is also good advice.

• First they need to be kept cut. Apparently ( nothing against you) but ehy aern't wearing down if they make the noise on the wood floor.
      You can call your vet or groomer. Wehre I live a vet will charge $5 to clip teh nails with no office visit.
      the groomers charge between $5-8 in my area.
      Again i'm sorry and mean no disrespect but if you can't hold him long enough to clip the nails how would you expect to hold him for a filing which would take longer ( IT can be done if you can)
      Good Luck
      Long Nails can cause foot problems. They can overgrow enough to grow back into the feet. Please get them done