How can I trim my dog's nails?

My Pom, whose nearly 6 months old, has terrible nails. They used to be kept under control from being walked, but it's too cold now for that. So we just went and got some fancy nail trimmers for him last week. Last time he got his nails trimmed were at…

My Pom, whose nearly 6 months old, has terrible nails. They used to be kept under control from being walked, but it's too cold now for that. So we just went and got some fancy nail trimmers for him last week. Last time he got his nails trimmed were at…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I trim my dog's nails?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I trim my dog's nails?

How can I trim my dog's nails? General Dog Discussions
      My Pom, whose nearly 6 months old, has terrible nails. They used to be kept under control from being walked, but it's too cold now for that. So we just went and got some fancy nail trimmers for him last week. Last time he got his nails trimmed were at the vet when he was about 3 or 4 months old.
      I'm getting very frustrated. I have tried everything. I give him a treat when trying to trim, but he pulls his paw away. I hold him while my mom trims, but he still yanks his paw away. We're so nervous about cutting into the quick and he WILL NOT STAY STILL.
      What should I do?

How can I trim my dog's nails? General Dog Discussions
    • Boy do I understand. Our 3 year old Chihuahua/Norwich Terrier squirms and gives us a fit until last September. I took the trimmers to a GROOMER and had her teach me how. Donate a few bucks if she doesn't charge you (mine didn't).

• There isn't really much you can do. It is in a pom's nature to do that. My pom and my friend's poms do that. Just show him who is boss by having a firm voice. And have some one he trusts to do the trimming. That may help.

• Training a dog to sit and shake is right up there with nail trimming, you should train your dog to enjoy nail trimming from the time you get them. But for an older puppy you should go to your vet or go to a local pet store or grooming salon and have them do it, if your nervous your dog will be nervous and if you are getting frustrated you should just let a professional do it. most grooming salons only charge ten bucks to trim nails. Good luck

• If you have someone else help you, it will be alot easier. Just have the other person hold him and "lock" his leg. This is done by: Place your index and middle finger in a scissor like position behing his elbow. Push until his leg sticks straight out. This hold will prevent him from retracting his leg. Also, covering his eyes helps alot of time becuase they have no visual to fear. In the mean time, keep plaing with his feet (ie- massage, rub, play with his toes). Do this why you are doing your normal routine; I usually concentrate on it while we are watching a movie or just relaxing. Some dogs just never get used to it though. Make sure you praise him afterwards (even if he fights it the first while) so that he eventually connects it with something positive. Good Luck!
      Added: If he has any black nails, use a small flashlight under the nail to find the quick, and ALWAYS have cornstartch on hand. Works like styptic powder without the sting!

• Pedipaws. I finally caved and got it for my puppy.
      The first couple times I had to wrap him in a blanket and hold him pretty tight except for one paw, and my boyfriend would file his nails. Now he just lays down and lets me do it. You never file them too short and they're nice and round instead of sharp.

• You just have to keep at it, and treat him gently. Don't yell at him for moving. And, don't expect him to just let you hold his paw, either. Even dogs that get nails trimmed every two months, for 11 years, like mine, still growl and pull their paw back. Or, hide in the closet. At best, expect, with time, that your dog will at best tolerate it.

• Have someone else hold the dog still while you cut the nails, and tell him he's a good boy while you're doing it. Since it's been a while only cut the very end of the nail. If you trim a little every three or four days the quick will actually recede back into the nail.